1979 LS3 Swap....it's begun - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 06-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #16
AcidGypsy
DC Crew

Member #130578

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueday View Post
classic auto air system came in last week. Hopefully it performs well and everything looks nicely laid out. Not sure exactly what to think about other than that. The company gave me a "custom kit" since they don't make one for the 79. I figured they would've started with the 68-76 kit and worked out the differences. (which maybe I should've just ordered the older setup and dealt with the differences myself, we'll see) Instead this way I had to make my own block off plates on the firewall. Not that hard and came out clean looking (see below).

I sent back the cheesy looking controller for the system. 1: cheesy looking 2: knobs are too large and you can't see the symbols, 3: way too large 4: goofy way of mounting.

I returned the defrost vent they send because it doesn't match up to the factory defrost and not close to the dimensions I gave for fitment. If they provide something close to the right size for the factory vent duct I can modify to make it work. Not a big deal and expected.

I also had to order some bulkhead fittings because with this kit they give you grommets to route your lines through the firewall. Kinda cheesy looking on this build in my opinion. I wasn't told this when I ordered the kit either.

I called last thursday to return the controller and get some bulkhead fittings and the guy never returned my call. I called the following tuesday and he said he received the controller I shipped back to them and will get the bulkhead fittings and new slimline controller out the following day (wednesday). I had to call again Thursday to check in on the status. I was really hoping to have these parts in by the weekend so I can get this thing tested and installed on the interior side over the 4th of July holidays. It's very apparent I'm going to have to call again today to confirm my parts were shipped. Sigh........
Sorry to hear of your issues with the AC.
I'll still be interested in the finished look of the unit once it's all done compared with the Vintage kit. My unit hangs below the dash is slightly distracting.

But on a positive spin, your'e moving along nicely. Engine compartment looks good! that loom wrap will look good installed. Much more modern.
Keep up the good work!
AcidGypsy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #17
Patro46
DC Crew

Member #136162

My Corvette(s)
C3 Convertible

Quote:
I'm also redoing the wiring in the engine bay with some braided loom. I think this will last a little while and look nice.

new 79 engine harness with braid loom:
First off, sorry about the issues on the AC. The kit I received had everything, including block off plates and blower motor covers. I especially like the D.E.R. controller, with one exception. It should have had a pushbutton to activate the compressor. As it stands, you have to move the slide off of the dash air setting to deactivate the compressor.

The only other issue I have had is my unit has a defective thermostat. It will freeze you cajones off, but in the process, it gets SO cold my ducts begin condensing on the outside.

Monday, I'm due to get the new thermostat in.

As far as your wire loom? Your gonna LOVE it over split loom. As far as how to seal the ends I used a product called F4 Tape. Heat resistant and self vulcanizing.

Keep up the good work!
Patro46 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #18
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGypsy View Post
Sorry to hear of your issues with the AC.
I'll still be interested in the finished look of the unit once it's all done compared with the Vintage kit. My unit hangs below the dash is slightly distracting.

But on a positive spin, your'e moving along nicely. Engine compartment looks good! that loom wrap will look good installed. Much more modern.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks. I expected some modifications with the classic auto. They have been nice to deal with just a bit slow. I do have high expectations. After a phone call Thursday and another Friday they did ship out the new parts. They said it should be in tomorrow even with july 4th on Tuesday.

I'll post some pictures when in get it mounted up and the dash in.
blueday is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #19
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patro46 View Post
First off, sorry about the issues on the AC. The kit I received had everything, including block off plates and blower motor covers. I especially like the D.E.R. controller, with one exception. It should have had a pushbutton to activate the compressor. As it stands, you have to move the slide off of the dash air setting to deactivate the compressor.

The only other issue I have had is my unit has a defective thermostat. It will freeze you cajones off, but in the process, it gets SO cold my ducts begin condensing on the outside.

Monday, I'm due to get the new thermostat in.

As far as your wire loom? Your gonna LOVE it over split loom. As far as how to seal the ends I used a product called F4 Tape. Heat resistant and self vulcanizing.

Keep up the good work!
I'd be having to modify the classic auto air or the vintage air system no matter which I went with. I never had the factory setup working so anything that blows cold air down here in the summer I'll be impressed.

Is the DER controller the factory looking one from caa that you have in your thread? It looks nice.

Did yours come with a fresh air block off plate? I'm curious if I can just shut the factory door or if I need to make block off plate for that too.

Beat ya to it! Already ordered some some f4 tape. Thanks. I was digging around on dc and found some posts on it with the braided loom. I can see my electrical tape stash won't be getting a lot of use.

Out stuff must have gotten shipped out about the same time. My new parts from classic auto are due Monday too.

I was gonna post a few more pictures but apparently photobucket is having some problems right now. Time to look for something else to use.

Ryan
Old 07-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #20
Patro46
DC Crew

Member #136162

My Corvette(s)
C3 Convertible

Quote:
I'd be having to modify the classic auto air or the vintage air system no matter which I went with. I never had the factory setup working so anything that blows cold air down here in the summer I'll be impressed.

Is the DER controller the factory looking one from caa that you have in your thread? It looks nice.

Did yours come with a fresh air block off plate? I'm curious if I can just shut the factory door or if I need to make block off plate for that too.

Beat ya to it! Already ordered some some f4 tape. Thanks. I was digging around on dc and found some posts on it with the braided loom. I can see my electrical tape stash won't be getting a lot of use.

Out stuff must have gotten shipped out about the same time. My new parts from classic auto are due Monday too.

I was gonna post a few more pictures but apparently photobucket is having some problems right now. Time to look for something else to use.

Ryan
Here's a decent shot of their new DER controller. Big improvement over the clunky factory control. As I've stated before, the biggest peeve is Classic not adding a pushbutton on-off for the compressor. You have to slide the setting off dash a tad, then it kills the compressor. If there was room enough on the controller, I'd add my own switch. Don't get me wrong, I'm used to the operation now, but it could have been a little more intelligently thought out from the git go.

On the fresh air issue or "Astro Ventilation" as GM like to call it. I used the spring to hold the flap closed, then I sealed it and the surrounding area with some leftover Stinger Roadkill.

I received the new thermostat yesterday, and will implement the replacement into the same time to radio and gauges come out for a single DIN radio with a flip out screen, new amp install and carbon fiber treatment.

Does it ever end?

Nope....
Patro46 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Patro46 For This Useful Post:
blueday (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #21
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patro46 View Post
Here's a decent shot of their new DER controller. Big improvement over the clunky factory control. As I've stated before, the biggest peeve is Classic not adding a pushbutton on-off for the compressor. You have to slide the setting off dash a tad, then it kills the compressor. If there was room enough on the controller, I'd add my own switch. Don't get me wrong, I'm used to the operation now, but it could have been a little more intelligently thought out from the git go.

On the fresh air issue or "Astro Ventilation" as GM like to call it. I used the spring to hold the flap closed, then I sealed it and the surrounding area with some leftover Stinger Roadkill.

I received the new thermostat yesterday, and will implement the replacement into the same time to radio and gauges come out for a single DIN radio with a flip out screen, new amp install and carbon fiber treatment.

Does it ever end?

Nope....
I agree, it'd be nice to have a separate off button to control the compressor. Nice, sounds like you'll have fun updating your audio and interior looks! While mines apart I plan to add a double din screen and maybe a gauge pod on the pillar or mount them under the cowl of the l88 hood if they'll fit and visible.

Yeah it never ends, especially with the "while I'm there" mentality.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #22
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

A few quick updates......I finally got to cover the rest of the firewall with some insulation. I did the rest of the interior of the car about 10 years ago and didn't bother with the firewall area. I used coolmat back then and upon patro46's mention and reading good reviews on it I used the stinger roadkill this time. It seems slightly thicker, and went in easily with a roller (minus a few cuts on my fingers). Installed some new ss brake lines for the front pass. & drivers side, ss braided brake lines on all 4 corners and painted the front calipers grey. Along with a bunch of other little items.

Last edited by blueday; 07-21-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #23
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Now for the fun part.....the classic auto air system that was sold to me in place of a modified 68-76 kit hasn't worked out too well. I post this to help someone out in the future should they go with the caa system.

I've had to make my own block off plates (evap and blower). Pull measurements and make my own stand off brackets because the evap will not mount to the firewall without the brackets (other option would be to modify the firewall where the old ac harness/vacuum cables ran through, might save about 3" or so). After a few hours of mocking up stuff yesterday, I've come to realize the bulkhead fittings are way to large to use in our c3's. There's just not enough room. Heater hoses touch the evap/blower and there isn't enough room to route ac lines. Luckily I mocked all of this stuff up and didn't drill through my new block off plate only to find out none of the hoses fit. The guy I spoke with said "I thought it'd be a tight fit." He did say he'd sell me (of course) the hard lines that they supply with the 68-76 kits. This would have saved me hours of time and now money for shipping and whatever percentage they charge for their "restock" fee. I'll probably get a quote to have someone bend up some pieces locally and compare to try to save some cash.

It is what it is. Here's some pictures. The Bulkhead fittings and new slimline controller do look nice. I had to peel back the cover on the controller and realign it because it wasn't lined up straight with the buttons and the machined lip. the new defrost adapter looks like it'll sort of work. I'll have to be creative with it. Easy fix though and expected.

slimline vs normal controller:

mounted up, this is as far to the drivers side as I can manage.

mock up of firewall:

I'll also add the condenser fittings/lines do not fit either. Condenser is pushed as far to drivers side as possible and barely fits. Not acceptable at all.

ac bulkhead bulkhead fittings inside the car....can't go vertical with them, can't go down (you'll see them in the foot well) and obviously not enough room to go through the side. Thanks caa, this would've been a lot easier with the hard lines made for the corvette like I mentioned when I first called. It's only money and time time right? Definitely would've been easier starting off with a 76 kit and figure what fits or is the same and working our way back from there. Not to mention the money in shipping and their "restock" fee for something they recommend and say will fit.

I guess I'll get to the LS swap one day!!!!!.....at this point it seems like that'll be easier.

Ryan

Last edited by blueday; 07-25-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #24
infinitereality
DC Crew

Member #171081

My Corvette(s)
2019 Superlite Coupe (SLC) - 525hp LS3

Sub'd
infinitereality is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2017 Superlite Coupe (SLC)
- 19"/20" Forgestar F14s, Full Carbon Fiber Interior
- 525HP Crate LS3 & Graziano Transaxle
2014 Audi S7 - Avery Dark Gray Wrap
- 21" ADV.1 Track Spec ADV510 Wheels & RS7 Bumper/Grill
- APR Stage 1, Roc-Euro Intake, FL Taillights, JL Sub/Amp In Factory Enclosure
- Carbon Fiber Diffuser, Splitter, Mirrors, Interior Trim, Paddles, Shifter
Old 07-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #25
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

little more work done along with some new presents:

new transmission crossmember came in, solid piece of work!

new harness from Tilden Motorsports. Made to go with the E67 ECM that comes already tuned for the ls3/525 gmpp. I'll be running the T42 TCM and have Tilden reprogram to work with the ecm and tire/rear end ratio. Everything looks like it's laid out nicely and the bussman fuse box is sturdy and on the smaller side.

My stall was built and arrived from circle d a few days ago.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #26
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

I'm also reworking some of the interior so I can put a double din screen in my c3. Looks like I'll be sending off my gauges to have new bezels put on because the autometer bezels are starting to pit some. They're about 10 years old. I made a new plate for my gauges. the old lexan began to warp a little around the gauges a few years ago. It'll get a coat of black paint to help blend in with the interior for a stock kind of look.

old setup:

new plate cutout:

autometer gauge pitting:

I also plan to add a trans temp and a/f ratio gauge and maybe another of some kind under the hood cowl...should look nice. I'll probably go with white face gauges though.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #27
Neil B
DC Crew

Member #160018

My Corvette(s)
69 Corvette

Looking good!
Neil B is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #28
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Polished out the old OBX sidepipes with some classic chambered mufflers.

And these came in too. Stainless Steel LS side mount headers from Josh at CIC. Welds around the flanges and o2 bungs look great! Hopefully I'll found out how they fit soon enough.

welds at the collectors are a little rough looking. Not sure if these are existing headers that are modified to fit the LS C3 or if someone else was welding on the collector. Overall though they look great!
Old 07-22-2017, 06:36 AM   #29
AcidGypsy
DC Crew

Member #130578

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Polished out the old OBX sidepipes with some classic chambered mufflers.

And these came in too. Stainless Steel LS side mount headers from Josh at CIC. Welds around the flanges and o2 bungs look great! Hopefully I'll found out how they fit soon enough.
Nice!

You're going to love the sidemount exhaust on the LS!

Polishing the pipes they look great. What did you use to polish them?

Keep up the good work!
AcidGypsy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #30
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Thanks! Good to see your car coming together. I use white diamond or blue magic polish.

My trick is I use a rotary buffer with a foam pad. Harbor freight special with a hook and loop adapter along with 1 of their orange foam pads. Well worth the money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in