Another LS3, T-56 swap into 1981 C3 - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #16
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

Steering column; the main reason I broke it all down is that I wanted to refinish it. While it was apart I decided to rebuild it, a process that can be a little tricky. Anyway, I posted this pic in case anyone was wondering what was inside those tilt/telescope steering columns!

zimmej51 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #17
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

On that shifter position I neglected to mention that the shifter shown is OEM original. I sacrificed it by cutting the shifter post which allowed me to make more accurate measurements. I plan to use the White Lightning shifter from American Powertrain.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #18
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

Exhaust Pipe Routing

The 80-82 C3 with power seat has no space to run the driver side exhaust pipe without all of it hanging down lower than the frame. The factory setup was actually fake dual exhaust. The driver side exhaust crossed over to the passenger side and joined the passenger side exhaust. Then on the downstream side of the cat they split again and went out the back.

Does anyone have any pictures or descriptions of routing the exhaust on the 80-82 C3?

Old 02-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #19
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Very Nice.
Super clean build by You.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #20
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmej51 View Post
The 80-82 C3 with power seat has no space to run the driver side exhaust pipe without all of it hanging down lower than the frame. The factory setup was actually fake dual exhaust. The driver side exhaust crossed over to the passenger side and joined the passenger side exhaust. Then on the downstream side of the cat they split again and went out the back.

Does anyone have any pictures or descriptions of routing the exhaust on the 80-82 C3?
The 80-82 looks nice with side pipes.
Be something unique LS Power.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #21
bazza
DC Crew

Member #55957

My Corvette(s)
1977 LS1/4L60E auto 1969 5 speed 74 no speed

I used an 80-82 cross-member under my 77 for my LS transplant . I read that the 4L60 bolted straight on to it , well it did after I made a new tongue to suit I used it because the 77 cross-member has the two holes but the position of the 4L60 pan would have meant some tight turns in the pipes which I could do with out .

I am running twin pipes and had to mod the cross-member to suit .

just an idea , not sure about your lower seat issue will affect it.
bazza is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #22
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
I used an 80-82 cross-member under my 77 for my LS transplant . I read that the 4L60 bolted straight on to it , well it did after I made a new tongue to suit I used it because the 77 cross-member has the two holes but the position of the 4L60 pan would have meant some tight turns in the pipes which I could do with out .

I am running twin pipes and had to mod the cross-member to suit .

just an idea , not sure about your lower seat issue will affect it.
You have a clean setup there, I like. I haven't done much with the body yet been focused on the chassis/drive train. Couple of pics below show the problem caused by the power seat pan on the driver side. There is no possibility of running the pipe under the driver seat pan without it drooping down below the frame, so that's not a viable option. I think there may be just enough room right behind the x-member to divert the pipe over to the pass side, then cross back over before exiting at the rear. Failing that, I suppose I could ditch the power seat although I've been told the manual seat tracks for 81-82 are almost impossible to find. That combined with fabricating a new seat pan make that a possible, but not desirable option. If all else fails I guess there could be sidepipes in my future but they aren't my favorite. I also put a clearance relief in the stock x-member that mirrors the one on the pass side. I originally was going to use the hacked up x-member as a template to fab a new one but may just use it anyway. It'll look a little better after powder coat.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #23
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

Crap, I got 2 of the same pics. Here's the one I meant to post.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:06 AM   #24
bazza
DC Crew

Member #55957

My Corvette(s)

yeah I see your problem ,and dilemma to fix .

I would like to hang on to the creature comforts inside personally so I would look at different exhaust routing .

If you weren't against side pipes it wouldn't be a problem I guess , sorry I don't have any real help to offer , only just a crazy idea of going single 3 inch and back to twin (kind of like ) as per factory set up , but that would probably drone real bad.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #25
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

C3 Body Lift

I've had several people ask about the body lift adapters I made, so I'll share here.

However, a word of caution is important;

***NEVER ATTEMPT TO LIFT THE BODY WITH THE CHASSIS ATTACHED!!

***THE BODY MOUNTS ARE NOT DESIGNED TO SUPPORT THE WEIGHT OF THE CHASSIS! IF YOU TRY TO LIFT THE ENTIRE CAR THIS WAY, IT IS PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEED TO DAMAGE/DESTROY THE BODY!!!

*** YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS IF YOU MAKE AND USE THE ADAPTERS!!!

Ok, with all that out of the way, when I first lifted the body off the chassis I used the hooks/straps available from several of the Corvette specialty suppliers. They worked, but it wasn't a confidence builder for sure. Plus it's hard to work on the body with it dangling and swinging around.

I decided it would be better to fabricate some kind of adapter to put on the lift arms. So I wound up with the "buttons" that drop into the lift arms, a 3/8" plate to weld the buttons onto, and a 3/16" blade that would fit between the frame rail and the birdcage "channel".

If you try this be sure that the weight of the body is supported by the top of the "blade" where it contacts the birdcage channel, NOT the lower edge of the body!

This setup works very well and supports the body firmly and securely. I have CAD drawings that I made for my Forward Lift. If anyone is interested in the drawings let me know.

And BE SAFE above all else. These adapters are designed with a substantial safety factor but if you are not confident with your welding or fabrication ability find a friend that is. Again, I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY for the use of these adapters
Old 02-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #26
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Very Nice Body Lift adapters you made.
Great Photos.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #27
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
yeah I see your problem ,and dilemma to fix .

I would like to hang on to the creature comforts inside personally so I would look at different exhaust routing .

If you weren't against side pipes it wouldn't be a problem I guess , sorry I don't have any real help to offer , only just a crazy idea of going single 3 inch and back to twin (kind of like ) as per factory set up , but that would probably drone real bad.
After talking this over with a good friend with a lot of fabrication experience, I've decided to fabricate my own system using one (or more) of the stainless steel 304 alloy kits that are available. I'll be using a pre-fabricated "X" pipe along with the mandrel bent curve sections. I'll need to brush up on my TIG skills, if I have any! More to come, I'll make posts of my progress when I get to that point.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #28
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

Shifter position

Ok, got the American Powertrain shifter set up, the shifter handle will mount on the left side of the stub. Very close to the ideal position. The AP shifter is very short throw and has independently adjustable tension for the right and left gates. A short shifter handle with a slight angle back should be about right. LS3 with T-56.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #29
bazza
DC Crew

Member #55957

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmej51 View Post
After talking this over with a good friend with a lot of fabrication experience, I've decided to fabricate my own system using one (or more) of the stainless steel 304 alloy kits that are available. I'll be using a pre-fabricated "X" pipe along with the mandrel bent curve sections. I'll need to brush up on my TIG skills, if I have any! More to come, I'll make posts of my progress when I get to that point.
I'm interested to see how it turns out with the routing of the pipes .

Shifter looks good in the hole !
Old 03-11-2018, 01:06 AM   #30
The Punisher
DC Crew

Member #8506

My Corvette(s)
'77 coupe (sold), '86 coupe (sold), '98 vert ( sold ) '85 coupe (sold), '00 coupe (sold), '75 vert

Impressive
The Punisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'75 vert. heated seats,HUD,compass/temp mirror,roll bar hoops, 17" torque thrust wheels.auto to 4spd conversion.7" touch screen. smokinvette.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in