An Old Man's Guide to Painting a Corvette - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #46
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)
1970 Roadster, Mast Motorsports LS7, TKO 600, SS Frame, C4 suspension

Door Jam Prep

Sanded the door jams with 220 grit paper. Used the short block on flat surfaces and hand sanded the rest. The hinge areas done with green scotch cloth. Did the body and door frame jams, removing the door seals and old adhesives. Found an example of fish eyes in primer (photo) to show you. This was likely caused by 'Armor All' over spray into the door jam area. Fish eyes don't usually show up readily in primer, this was likely sprayed with little if any type of cleaning or preparation. This area will be sanded and cleaned repeatedly with wax & grease remover then washed with lacquer thinner. When the time comes I will mist on a couple of thin coats of primer, if the fish eyes show up again, the area will get cleaned, sanded and cleaned again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Jam Fish Eyes.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	23626  
7TRoadster is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #47
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Headlight Covers Adjusted

Adjusting headlight covers is tedious, adjusting bolts are hard to get to and they often move during tightening. When you add the fact that there are gaps on 4 sides as well as contours on 4 sides you have your basic adjustment nightmare. The flip side of that is that nicely adjusted headlight covers look fabulous. It's worth the time and effort to get them right. You can bump edges up or down slightly (1/16" or so) with a dolly and soft hammer, use a heat gun to warm the area first. I have had to replace headlight covers that were warped, don't know how this happens but when it does there just isn't a way to adjust them to fit. Just be aware that it can happen and don't beat yourself up over it, get a replacement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hood and Headlight gaps.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	23630  
Old 11-21-2018, 04:13 AM   #48
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7TRoadster View Post
don't beat yourself up over it, get a replacement.
Sometimes it is best to cut bait and run
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit

Old 11-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #49
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

what type of lift do you have? I have that on my bucket list but with 9' ceilings I am limited
gtr1999 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 11-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #50
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

It is a Mohawk lift (link below). This was the best quality I could find, it's hydraulic, has 10000 lb capacity but requires a 16' ceiling for the overhead transfer tubes to clear. There is an option for underground tubes. Uprights are 105" tall without the tubes.
They are not cheap, 5 years ago they were over $7k, shipped.

https://mohawklifts.com/automotive-l...lifts/system1/
Old 11-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #51
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Those are one of the best I think, very nice. Yeah 16's puts me out of the game. I might have to go with the max jack
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 11-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #52
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Yea a 9' ceiling kind of defeats the purpose of a full size lift.

I designed scissor trusses into my shop, 6-12 outside and 4-12 inside. This allowed the height without going to second story construction. I guess you could go old school and install a drive over pit like Jiffy Lube.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #53
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

my old garage had a pit, but it was only for front or rear work. I have my quick lift over it now with my 69 sitting on it. I like the quick lift but it takes up floor space.

Who ever built my garage some how got around the inspectors or paid them off because instead of 16 or 24" center joints they went 32" for the ceiling. I would be better off taking off the roof and rebuilding but I am not going there.
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 11-24-2018, 11:23 PM   #54
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Finish the Glass

Curing time.

The car is at a milestone, it's stripped, the hinge pins/bushings have been replaced, doors adjusted, hood re-contoured and adjusted, bumpers installed and edges blocked, door jams sanded and headlights adjusted. The body is ready for filler, used to match contours (within 1/16"), fill small pits and scratches. Industry standard limit for filler is no thicker than 1/8", in this shop the limit is 1/16". If your low spot is more than 1/16" add a layer of glass mat.

Curing time on glass is longer than letting it set overnight to harden. It depends on the resin type but polyester resin will cure enough to work with in about 2 weeks. Wait until cured before any type of filler or primer is applied. This varies with temperature, humidity and oddly sunlight. The hardening of the resin is a chemical reaction, that reaction gives off gas, if covered before it's cured completely the gas will form tiny pin holes in the overlay as it escapes. Resin has a distinct odor, have you ever noticed that odor stays for several days after the resin has hardened? That odor is passed into the escaping gas from the resin as it cures.

Just about anyone who has worked with glass has heard that you can tell if the resin is cured by smell. If you can put your nose next to the new resin and can't smell it, then generally it's fully cured. The problem is this method is subjective and it's just better to allow a couple of weeks for curing. This can be accelerated by placing the repair in direct sunlight. The rays of the sun will speed up curing time, I read something about UV rays assisting a long time ago but can't remember the details. A week in the sun will cure the resin.

Filler is next so it's time for the boring subject of sanding/blocking.

This is the single area where novice painters fail the most. It isn't because they don't work hard or don't try. It's because they haven't learned sanding technique or the consequences of not adhering to it. There is much more to blocking/sanding than attaching sandpaper to a block and rubbing it on the car. Technique is important, I'll cover only the basics here as books could be written about techniques.

Given good technique a sanding block will never lie to you. It if shows you an area is low, it's low. Bring the adjacent high spots down or the low spot up. If it shows you a high spot it's high, bring it down or the adjacent low spots up. How do you know? We will be using different colors of primer and a guide coat so that high and low spots are identified. More on this later. Don't be tempted to dig in with an edge, you'll end up with a low spot. A square block on a concave surface can take off extra material at the corners, leaving shallow channels in the surface. Lighter colors tend to not show these small imperfections, darker colors and especially black will show them.

The blocks I use are 16", 11" and a 5.5". The 16" & 11" flat and curved blocks are used the most, the 11" teardrop and round blocks are used for close concave areas, the shorter blocks are used for small areas about the size of a quarter or less. Typically use the longest block that will fit onto the area your blocking. More on this coming up. The photo shows the blocks used to contour surfaces, block out wavy surfaces and remove blemishes in the surface to be painted.

The blocks pictured are made by Dura-Block, they are the best I've ever used.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blocks.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	23632  

Last edited by 7TRoadster; 11-24-2018 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Added notes on curing time.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7TRoadster For This Useful Post:
KennyGS (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:27 PM   #55
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Finish the Glass (2)

As you can see from this photo, the blocks have differing shapes on their faces. Flat, curved, round, teardrop and a square block. All of these are used in differing places around the car. You notice there is no concave face on a block or a block that is curved like a bow or won't lay flat on a table. Certainly those shapes exist on almost all cars, sanding technique is used to block those areas to contour. There are some newer flexible blocks out there now that claim to allow blocking a compound curve, I cannot attest to them being easier or harder, I haven't tried one.

The sanding block has three axis and it's control can be analogous to control of an airplane. Elevation controlled by the elevators point the airplane up or down. Pitch is controlled by the ailerons and controls turn or roll. Yaw is controlled by the rudder and pitches the nose from side to side. The pivot for elevation would be at the center of the airplane horizontally sideways through the fuselage, pitch pivot would be front to back through the center of the fuselage and the yaw pivot the center of the airplane straight up and down. The elevation pivot isn't used much as the block follows the body. The other two are used extensively in blocking contours, usually both at the same time.

There will be a series of drawings associated with technique descriptions to help illustrate what is intended in the text. If you have questions please ask and I'll do my best in answering them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Block Profiles.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	23638  
KennyGS (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #56
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Finish the Glass (3)

Contrary to popular belief there isn't hardly any truly flat panels on a car. Most all are curved in at least one area. For instance: the C3 door is mostly flat from front to back but curved in from center to top and center to bottom. Further the rear top of the door curves up to meet the rear quarter and slightly outward at the back to meet the rear fender lip. If you place a flat block on the door parallel to the ground and block straight forward and back it will be flat front to back but cut a flat spot in the curved part of the panel. To keep both in sync slide the block sideways about 45* as you block back and forth. After a few strokes reverse the sideways motion to the other side. In this case block 45* down for a few strokes, then 45* up the other way for a few strokes. This creates a cross hatch scratch pattern in the surface that promotes adhesion and sanding this way allows flat one way and curved in the other.

The outward curve at the back of the door raises up from the flat part of the door, turn the block 45* and block straight into the curve, turn the block 45* the other way and block into the curve. Once past the curve go to a shorter block and position same as front of door for continuing to the rear edge of the door.

Photo of cross hatch below, illustration of door technique in my next post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sanding Cross Hatch.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	23640  
KennyGS (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #57
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Finish the Glass (4)

The rolling fender lip is another area where technique is used to keep the contours smooth and flowing. You want the curved block used to be smaller in radius than the surface your working on. Slide the block into the outward curve and roll the block outward as you slide it into the curve. The areas along the top of the rear quarter are also concave and curve. Roll the block outward toward the edge as you sand at 45*, first one way then the other. As you bring the block stop at the edge, try not to roll off the edge. More on edges later. This is the same technique used on the fender lip.

The hood has a curve that is tighter than the wide curved block. The teardrop block is used here, it's radius is smaller than the curve in the hood. Blocking at 45* bring the block into the corner, the tail of the teardrop will keep it flat on the hood. Roll the tear the other way to sand down into the curve from the top again at 45*. The center of the hood is sanded the same as the door, 45* motion and carefully rolling over the top outside edge to round and smooth it. Block up to the center from both sides but don't block over the top of the center ridge. More on edges later. What to do about the sharp reverse curve (crease) in the rear top of the front fenders. Place paper over the small corner of the teardrop, sand into the crease at 45* both directions.

By now you should be seeing a pattern emerge from the descriptions, the illustrations below should help communicate the concept. Keep the blocks as flat as you can but be aware of the contour your sanding and adjust the angles on the block to match. It isn't easy knowing what works, check your work by feel. Your eyes will lie to you, light, reflection, visual compensation between left and right eyes can lead to inconsistent results. Trust the blocks and what you can feel, you need to develop a sense for seeing the panel with your hand(s). When you see a low or rough spot, run your hand over to see what it feels like. Use a light touch and smooth motion, soon you'll be able to feel them even without seeing them. This gets harder as you block with finer grits of sandpaper, we'll be using guide coat to assist.

Illustrations below:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blocking Diagrams.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	23642  
KennyGS (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 02:56 AM   #58
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport

This is really great information you're sharing. As a complete novice, I appreciate you taking the time to explain this so clearly and detailed. Thank you!
KennyGS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to KennyGS For This Useful Post:
7TRoadster (11-29-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 12:40 AM   #59
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Finish the Glass (5)

Another local question. How much downward pressure do I put on the blocks? Usually not to much, moderately light pressure is all that is needed. Enough so the paper doesn't skim over the top of the primer but not enough to distort the flatness of the block.

Notes on edges: A conscious choice needs to be made with regards edges. Back in the 1970's the custom look for car show paint was sharp edges. Straight panel lines like the center hood line on the C3 was brought up to a crisp sharp edge. The factory offering is rolled or dull edges. The thing about sharp edges is that they are not very durable, fine for a show car but not very practical for a car that sees regular use on the street. I recommend the dull or rolled edges for most applications. Techniques for both are below, plus how to make a body line arrow straight every time. Edges are an area where they have to be sanded true, sand up to the edge but not over. For things like top fender edges, blocking both sides straight will keep the line straight. For center hood or center door lines another technique is used.

Apply a piece of masking tape about 1/8" to the side of the center line. Alignment is critical, attach one end and sighting down the tape line lower it onto the surface as straight as possible. Block the opposite side toward the tape until the sandpaper just scuffs the edge of the tape. Once it does move down the line until the whole line is completed, remove the tape. Now carefully apply another piece of tape about 1/8" from the center line on the other side. Again align using line of sight. Block the opposite side until the sandpaper scuffs the tape. Remove the tape. The resulting line will be as straight as the tape. For the people who want sharp edges, you need to do this first during the 400 grit blocking and again during the 600 grit blocking. For the people who want rolled or dulled edges, do this once during the 400 grit blocking and when done gently roll the 400 block back and forth over the edge until the line has the desired contour. Do the fender edges the same way to round the sharp edge. The 600 blocking will not significantly change the line, block up to the edge from both sides and when done roll over the top only once or twice to smooth it.

Another type of edge that is often overlooked is door, hood and fender edges, these often get overlooked when cracks are filled or filler is applied. The bottom edge of the door is likely to be missed for a number of things. Edges are important too, dark colors show panel contours very noticeably, gaps seem to show up more on light colors. So make sure you clean up the edges so gaps are crisp and edges smooth. Imagine looking at a new paint job and noticing paint chips on the door edges that nobody addressed during the painting process.

You have likely heard the term 'feather edge' associated with body work and paint. It refers to a transition area between the glass/metal and applied filler, between different thicknesses of paint or between finished and unfinished surfaces. You have a low spot you want to fill, you prep and apply filler, then start blocking that to contour. As you get closer and closer to the correct contour the edges of the low spot get thinner and thinner until they are 'feather edged' seamlessly into the surrounding contour. You should not be able to feel where glass ends and filler begins. To 'feather edge' a paint repair you would be blending the new paint to match contour with the old.

Hand sanding is a must, it seems you just can't sand some of those tight places without it. When you do have to sand by hand, sand across your fingers. If you sand parallel to them it will leave deeper cuts in the substrate were your fingers apply pressure.

Tips: Clogged sandpaper can be cleared with a card file or scotch cloth. This extends the working life of the paper. In tight spaces or corners, attaching paper around the edge of the block can sometimes reach hard to sand corners. Wrapping sandpaper around a stir stick can provide a handy way to clean up edges, scoops, cowl vent grilles and any other space to narrow to get fingers in there. Use worn paper in areas where there is potential to remove to much substrate, like rolling edges.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #60
slofut
DC Crew

Member #119762

My Corvette(s)
1971 base conv. GTO LS1, T56.

A tip on those Durablocks. I cut them into shapes or sizes needed. For instance, the long 1'x 3/4' i cut into shorter lengths, one even about 1 inch long for small spaces like around the taillight holes where it's all tiny curves. Also I cut a piece of the same block on an angle lengthwise so I could reach into tight angles like those small unreachable areas on the front spoiler.
slofut is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to slofut For This Useful Post:
7TRoadster (12-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in