Lowering a C4 with a twist & Pics! - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
redmen031
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #11864

My Corvette(s)
84 Z51 red/red

Lowering a C4 with a twist & Pics!

Well finally got around to lowering the 84', decided I would shoot some pics and do a write up. Here ya go...

Materials needed, lowering bolts wedges and durable strips of rubber.

How to lower you’re C4 Corvette:

Lowering of the front:

First off, you need to get your Corvette's front end off of the ground. Try to get it pretty high off the ground because you will need to get under your car to take some brackets off. Place the front end on two jack stands and make sure that it is secure before removing the jack. Then remove your front tires, and if you have ABS you should remove the sensor as well.

Remove the one bolt that connects the sway bar to the spring retainer plate. Next, take the cotter pin and castle nut off of the tie rod end using a 21mm socket. Do this on both sides.

Take your jack and place it under the lower control arm and raise it until your shock compresses a bit. Be sure to put a piece of wood between the jack and lower control arm. Now you can use your 13mm socket to remove the two bolts attaching the shock to the plate. Then remove the cotter pin and castle nut from the lower ball joint using a 21mm socket. You will probably have to use a ball joint puller to disconnect the knuckle from the ball joint as well as the knuckle from the tie rod end. An automotive fork and hammer will also work, which is what I used. Slowly lower the jack and get it out of your way. Then you can swing the knuckle assembly out of the way and support it with a 2X4 if you wish. Now run to the other side of your car and do it again.

Now you can remove the metal retainer that the shock attaches to. There are 4 bolts that need to be removed using a 13mm socket.

Next, remove the two 15mm spring bracket nuts. The bolt will probably spin and an impact tool may be handy here. What I did was I took a 15mm socket and attached it to a universal, then attached that to a long extension. From the top on the driver side you wiggle it onto the bolt coming down through the engine compartment and wedge it onto the bolt. Then you can go back under the car and use another socket driver to loosen the nut. On the passenger side there is about a one inch diameter hole in the frame rail that you can squeeze your extension with universal down into and do the same as on the driver side. The other bolt you can reach with a wrench to keep from spinning. Remove these brackets and set them aside.

To free the spring from the lower control arm I just stepped down on the control arm and this pretty much separates the spring from it. Now you have to remove the spring by twisting it and sliding it back and forth to free it from the car. Be careful not to scratch the spring because doing so can jeopardize the integrity of it.

Now remove the two spring pivots from the spring and cut the rubber down to the thin metal shim.

Now you can glue the wedges in place of the spring pivots with glue that is both moisture resistant and somewhat flexible. I used weather sealant polyurethane. Having these wedges are critical to the performance of your Corvette. Since the original ones are designed to pivot the spring back and forth when the car turns, you will still need this pivot point, which is why the wedges are wedges and not a flat piece of rubber. They allow the spring to still pivot between the suspension and the frame itself. Now if there were no wedges and the spring sat directly against the frame then the spring rate will be disrupted, altering the springs designed purpose. Also, the direct contact to the frame will eventually damage the spring and put gauges in it, which will allow moisture to enter and deteriorate the spring. If you insist on putting the spring back in without the wedges, perhaps just leave a little bit of rubber as an impact point.

But there is a solution if you want to keep your spring intact and lower it more than the wedges will allow. I used a belt sander to sand down the bottom of the wedges and left about 3/16" plus the actual wedge as shown in the pictures. I then glued these down to the spring and allowed it to dry overnight.

Before sanding on the left, after sanding on the right

Homemade wedge sanding equipment

The aftermath

Wedges glued to the spring

84-87 Corvettes use a stamped steel spring bracket which is hard to modify when using these wedges. 88's and up use an aluminum bracket which is easy to shorten using a hacksaw. So, in order to fill the gap between the spring and the frame once the bracket is installed, I put a small strip of rubber on the inside bottom of the spring bracket to make up the difference in height that we lost from removing the spring pivots. Now when you screw these brackets in place there will be no gap and it should install tightly against the frame, compressing the rubber that we just installed into the bracket.

Assembly is the same as disassembly.

Lowering of the rear:

You don't even need to get the car off the ground to do the rear. First, take your jack with a piece of wood on top of it and raise the rear spring in order to take the tension off of it. note: driving the rear of the car onto ramps can help.

Now remove the cotter pin and castle nut (blue arrow) and slide the bolt out.

This is what will come out with the bolt. Make sure you remember how to put it back together.

Note where the old nut was located on the bolt, and mark it on the new bolt. Then, just experiment with how low you want to go by loosening and tightening the new nut.
Marked bolt

All finished

Before:

After:

You can still get a pretty low ride by trimming the wedges while maintaining the original pivot point and design of the spring. I was about 3.5" high in the front and rear before I started, now in the front I have a little less that 1.5" and the rear about 2".
redmen031 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Mods: Ceasefire is no more...LS1 clone on the way! | 3.73 gears | Cross drilled-Slotted rotors | 18x10 out back & 17x9 up front | Headers | highflow CAT | 2.5" custom exhaust no mufflers

Check out my LS1 engine build thread HERE

SAVE THE WAVE
Pictures ------ More Pictures
Lots of donuts in the SNOW!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
Coolblue65
DC Crew

Member #22599

My Corvette(s)
92 Coupe

Real nice write up. This is probably the best one I have seen yet.
Coolblue65 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296296
Arctic White/Red leather '92 A4 Coupe
-C5 brakes
-Grand Sport Stripes
-Muffler Eliminators
-K&N w/open lid
-Trans cooler
-A-Molds
-95-Gills

1965 Mustang Coupe
-460HP 347 w/ Tremec 3550 5-speed
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2164272
Old 07-14-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
WIT911
DC Crew

Member #13981
Location: Hiding in the dark shadow preparing to jump at you and say "hello there"

My Corvette(s)
'93 40th Annv Coupe (sold), '03 MY Roadster (sold), 2007 LMB Coupe (Grand Sport Tribute)

Great write up bro! The end result is !
WIT911 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
redmen031
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #11864

My Corvette(s)
84 Z51 red/red

Thanks guys
Mods: Ceasefire is no more...LS1 clone on the way! | 3.73 gears | Cross drilled-Slotted rotors | 18x10 out back & 17x9 up front | Headers | highflow CAT | 2.5" custom exhaust no mufflers

SAVE THE WAVE
Old 07-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
tdonlin
DC Crew

Member #8366

My Corvette(s)

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. You have just made lowering the front of my car a whole lot easier. Can't beat clear pictures with understandable instructions.
tdonlin is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Tim
Old 07-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
OldVetteFan
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove

Member #23592

My Corvette(s)
65 Coupe (Sold) 95 Blk Coupe (Gold Cert - Sold) 2011 Grand Sport

Excellent write up!

Steven
OldVetteFan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If energy and enthusiasm were a substitute for experience and expertise, then I could hire my 12 year old to do this job.

NCM Club Ambassador
Master Ambassador - 2009
Old 07-14-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
mlo
DC Crew

Member #27426

Thank you I just got my lowering kit in the other day and I was a little worried about in stalling it sence I've never seen it done this helps alot
mlo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2007, 05:56 AM   #8
redmen031
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #11864

My Corvette(s)
84 Z51 red/red

No problem, and if this doesnt help I know that Raidmagic has an excellent writeup for the rear and hawaiian punch has one as well in the "sticky" section Good luck and post pics before and after

SAVE THE WAVE
Old 07-15-2007, 07:17 AM   #9
jjwvette

Member #19167

My Corvette(s)
2007 Z51 Coupe Blk/Mod Red\03 Z06 TR|BLK(sold)\99 Roadster (sold)\ 1990 Roadster (sold)

The best I've seen yet
jjwvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
jjwvette
NCM Lifetime Member
Black/Ebony\ Red 2007 Z51 Coupe
6 Spd. Mods:,Corsa Sport Exhaust
Halltech Venom Air Intake
Lloyds mats,Z06 Spoiler,Cags and
lots of Adams shine
Got it from the EVS Team
Old 07-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
The Bad
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #175

My Corvette(s)
*sold*75 Wht/Tan Cp*sold*94 Wht/Rd Cp Current: 02 EB/BLK Z06

Great job!!
The Bad is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2002 Electron Blue Z06: Custom made partition, new stereo system, 5% tint, twin cone air intake system, shorty antenna, Exide Orbital battery, and chrome rims. -Brandon-

My Corvette story
Old 07-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
Grim-Reaper
DC Crew

Member #44267

My Corvette(s)
'95 6-Speed Coupe

Question

Does anyone know if this mod (exactly as described above) works for ALL C4 years? Are there any differences with other years and if so, what are the differences.

T.I.A.

Fabulous write-up by the way!!!
Grim-Reaper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Care to dance?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
redmen031
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #11864

My Corvette(s)
84 Z51 red/red

The only difference should be the spring retainer that holds the spring to the body. The 84's spring retainer is made out of stamped steel and therefore is hard to cut and modify, which is why I used the red rubber instead of trimming the retainer. All other years the retainers are made out of aluminum which is easy to modify. You can trim the retainer down a bit to make up the difference lost by lowering with a hack saw. Or you can still use the rubber if you wish. Hope this helps

SAVE THE WAVE
Old 07-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #13
muddpile

Member #3804

I believe they used the stamped steel retainer up to 88, but other than that, 84-96 is the same thing.

Car looks much better dude. I like your enthusiasm to use the original stamped steel. I have almost no front wheel gap, but you've likely retained the better ride quality.
muddpile is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #14
Show
DC Crew

Member #57720

My Corvette(s)
TT 1971 vert on C-4 suspension

Great Job!I will probably try this on my c-3!(It's part C-4)I was looking for a good way to bring it down a little in the front. Thanks.
Show is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
BigMikeyT88
DC Crew

Member #30242

My Corvette(s)
Two in the Garage 2005 Z51, 1984 383ci

Cool! Now you can do mine
BigMikeyT88 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1999 Torch Red FRC 6 speed, MGW Shifter, C5Z Exhaust, Vararam. 13.10 @ 109

2005-A4 Vararam Intake, and a tune by Jeremy Formato 353RWHP and 354RWTQ
1/4 12.70 @ 110

1984-383ci,Cast Iron Bowtie Block bored to 4.190in. Stock GM crank, PM rods, Mini Ram III Intake, Fastburn Heads,Hot Cam, Richmond Six Speed, Stage 1 clutch, TPIS Headers, 58mm TB, 27lb Injectors, ZR1 Wheels, 315's out back, 275's in front, High Flow Cat, 3.73's,Bilstein Shocks, Tuned by Jeremy Formato, 340RWHP and 350RWTQ

1.73/12.622/109.90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in