Z/71 Tahoe -vs- Ford Raptor - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Kill Stories
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Kill Stories It's a Corvette, certainly you misbehave from time to time like the rest of us. But, this isn't the "I drive like a careless wreckless idiot" forum.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #1
matchframe
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #1213

My Corvette(s)
1978 Modification in progress

Z/71 Tahoe -vs- Ford Raptor

I was driving home the other day when I saw a Ford Raptor ahead of me. I have not seen very many of them on the road so I caught up to look it over. We were the only ones on the road so he started driving aggressively and I played along. The road was a concrete freeway that has very little traffic and lots of curves. My 2003 Z/71 Tahoe 4X4 is mostly stock with the exception of some programming changes. When I did those changes several years ago it woke up the 5.3 in a surprising way.

Back to the Raptor; We came to a stop light and sat side by side. I gave him a thumbs up and he returned the gesture. The light turned green and I jumped him off the line. He could not make up for the early gain, in fact I was slowly walking away from him. About a mile later we were at another stop light with open road after the light. I knew he was going to show me who was boss so I was watching the light really close. I did not realize that a Porsche was on the other side of me on the three lane road. When the light turned green I punched it and jumped the Raptor off the line again, in the meantime, the Porsche showed us both who really was the Boss. The Porsche was gone in a heartbeat. The Raptor and I were going pretty much head to head until the road started a slow bend to the left, that is when he let off. I was ahead of him by about half a car length.

I was always under the impression that the Raptors were really high performance and I was surprised that he had a tough time hanging with me. Maybe the guy did not know how to drive it to the max. I would love to go against another Raptor with someone at the wheel who knows how to get the most out of his truck to see what it will really do. Maybe my old Tahoe was really faster. I had it in two wheel drive and maybe he had his in four wheel drive.

The rest of the drive home I had a smile on my face since it had been a really long time since I had gone up against some one light to light. I never thought I would do that in my 4X4 Tahoe however.
matchframe is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to matchframe For This Useful Post:
Red Rocket (05-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2002 Z06, 1977 custom Past: 1985 Z51 Coupe

Those Raptors are pretty cool looking. My understanding is that they really shine off-road. But if you never GO off-road, what's the point? Nice to hear Chevy is still king.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Bella" - 2002 Z06 - Carrying on family tradition of Corvette ownership.

"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned. Gone but never forgotten.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to XQIZT For This Useful Post:
matchframe (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
matchframe
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #1213

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Those Raptors are pretty cool looking. My understanding is that they really shine off-road. But if you never GO off-road, what's the point? Nice to hear Chevy is still king.
They are pretty cool looking. This one was light blue with black accents. I liked the wide stance they have.

It could have been a gearing thing is to why I beat him. But that does not explain how I was able to jump him off the line two times. I figured after the first time he would have been ready.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
Emeryz28
DC Crew

Member #40040

My Corvette(s)

very cool trucks, my buddy has one. Have taken it tearing around in the sand and it performs great, but they are no lightning. that 6.2 only propels that monster through the 1/4 in like 15.8

My 6.2 2015 Z71 crew cab will scorch the 1/4 in 14.2 which is pretty insane for a truck that was not built for that purpose!

end of the day, the Raptors are much slower on the street than most people expect!
Emeryz28 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2015 Silverado Z71 6.2
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
2011 Camaro SS LS3 M6
1981 Corvette
The Following User Says Thank You to Emeryz28 For This Useful Post:
matchframe (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
matchframe
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #1213

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeryz28 View Post
very cool trucks, my buddy has one. Have taken it tearing around in the sand and it performs great, but they are no lightning. that 6.2 only propels that monster through the 1/4 in like 15.8

My 6.2 2015 Z71 crew cab will scorch the 1/4 in 14.2 which is pretty insane for a truck that was not built for that purpose!

end of the day, the Raptors are much slower on the street than most people expect!
Ok, that makes sense. I was really surprised because I thought they could tear up the streets. I know a Lightning would probably outrun my Tahoe with little effort.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Stang_Stalker
Account Disabled.

Member #167418

My Corvette(s)
01 Vert

I am going to replace my F150 king Ranch with an 11 to 14 Raptor.

I am surprised the Tahoe pulled away! Good kill!
Stang_Stalker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in