New Guy Here - CIC Flared 69 Corvette - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
Neil B
DC Crew

Member #160018

My Corvette(s)
69 Corvette

New Guy Here - CIC Flared 69 Corvette

Hey guys. I'm Neil. I wanted to introduce myself and my new project. I was fortunate enough to acquire 69MyWay's latest flared '69 Corvette roadster. He did a beautiful job getting the car in paint with a running and driving chassis. Now I get to carry it forward with the finishing details. I am currently working with Ben Hermance on some renderings for the car. I can confidently say that my vision for this car includes a vintage road race vibe with modern twists. It has been a lifelong goal to build a flared 69 Corvette, so I'm thrilled about the opportunity to take this great foundation over the finish line.

Neil B is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #2
binx
DC Crew

Member #127929

My Corvette(s)
1973 Stingray

Very nice looking 'Vette.

What are your plans as far as engine/drive train?

What's your vision for paint (if any) and further body mods at this moment in time?
binx is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #3
69MyWay
DC Crew

Member #2007

My Corvette(s)
Vetteless in the Midwest...at least for now

I'm excited to watch the progress. Has been an emotional and long journey for us (including my wife). We were able to at least take a rumble ride around the corn fields a couple of times...so we know that what was once a lifeless hulk is now living and breathing strong.

I spent most of my life in Florida...not too far from where it is now. I know the roads around I-4 are hungry for some abuse by another big block ground pounder. I can't wait to see your wheel choice...and finishing details. We are cheering from you...while we are crying...but it is all part of the process.

Oh...that blue piece in my avatar to the left...that WAS this car when we first saw it on Ebay in 2014.
69MyWay is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 05:39 AM   #4
TX73VETTE
DC Crew

Member #43375

My Corvette(s)
1973 T-Top RED/RED

Wow looks like a great starting point and you have a Great foundation to make your Dream come true Keep us posted..

Dan
TX73VETTE is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Welcome, Neil.
I like what Chris has done with it so far and you get to finish it up and put your twist on it and make it yours. How perfect it that!
I am looking forward to seeing the wheels, etc, you choose and how it turns out.
Keep us posted!
brent319 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Blk Thunder
DC Crew

Member #9213

My Corvette(s)
68 Vert (Blk Thunder)sold, 99 Coupe

First I guess welcome to DC Neil!

Nice to see that Mcspeed's ride came to Florida! Was surprised to see the same seats I had in a 68 custom I owned for 10 yrs named Black Thunder. Paid $500 for them and they were very comfortable except the acorn nuts never stayed on the seat hinges.

Chris didn't have time to get the (rollbar) hoops behind the seats made, I see. Please don't go with black mags as the hookers and wheels stand right out in chrome.

Are you goin FI soon? Lucky it's winter soon as that car without A/C is a bear, I know. Thunder had a 454 and hookers and I roasted every summer here in Fl. I had two friends in area just north of you who said Alt 19 has a car show every night. Both friends are deceased one being founder of Vetteheads forum and had a 63 split pro-street and the other built 67 mid-years. His last a 67 with a 572 in a yellow 67 roadster called Kingray. So alot of car guys live where you do that will enjoy that 69 badboy!

Anyway I will be watching what you do closely. Good luck finishing that bad 69!

John
Blk Thunder is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)
1970 Roadster, Mast Motorsports LS7, TKO 600, SS Frame, C4 suspension

Welcome to DC Niel,

You will find a dedicated block of enthusiasts here who are willing to help however they can. This particular '69 as you say is a great start, all the foundation work has been done and done very well as evidenced by the build blog we have all followed.

It would be cool to hear your vision for the car. What the overall theme will be (daily driver, pro-touring, show car) and of course engine choice, color, interior, transmission, modifications, etc.

Looking forward to the rendering when available.
7TRoadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
Neil B
DC Crew

Member #160018

My Corvette(s)
69 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx View Post
Very nice looking 'Vette.

What are your plans as far as engine/drive train?

What's your vision for paint (if any) and further body mods at this moment in time?
The car is currently set up with an iron-headed hydraulic roller 454 BBC backed by an LT1 T56 6-speed and a 4.11 rear gear. No plans to change any of that right now.

After fab work is complete, I plan to cut and buff the paint and see where I'm at. I might do some subtle graphics on the L88 hood bulge, but I'm waiting to see what Ben comes up with on the rendering.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Neil B
DC Crew

Member #160018

My Corvette(s)
69 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk Thunder View Post
First I guess welcome to DC Neil!

Nice to see that Mcspeed's ride came to Florida! Was surprised to see the same seats I had in a 68 custom I owned for 10 yrs named Black Thunder. Paid $500 for them and they were very comfortable except the acorn nuts never stayed on the seat hinges.

Chris didn't have time to get the (rollbar) hoops behind the seats made, I see. Please don't go with black mags as the hookers and wheels stand right out in chrome.

Are you goin FI soon? Lucky it's winter soon as that car without A/C is a bear, I know. Thunder had a 454 and hookers and I roasted every summer here in Fl. I had two friends in area just north of you who said Alt 19 has a car show every night. Both friends are deceased one being founder of Vetteheads forum and had a 63 split pro-street and the other built 67 mid-years. His last a 67 with a 572 in a yellow 67 roadster called Kingray. So alot of car guys live where you do that will enjoy that 69 badboy!

Anyway I will be watching what you do closely. Good luck finishing that bad 69!

John
Thanks John. I've done several cars with black-centered wheels so I want to try something different with this one. The car will likely get a chassis-mounted 4-point custom roll bar if we can build it properly and retain the soft top. It's definitely a great area for car guys. I have 4 neighbors with bad ass cars and the local streets are always filled with exotics and other toys.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
Neil B
DC Crew

Member #160018

My Corvette(s)
69 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7TRoadster View Post
Welcome to DC Niel,

You will find a dedicated block of enthusiasts here who are willing to help however they can. This particular '69 as you say is a great start, all the foundation work has been done and done very well as evidenced by the build blog we have all followed.

It would be cool to hear your vision for the car. What the overall theme will be (daily driver, pro-touring, show car) and of course engine choice, color, interior, transmission, modifications, etc.

Looking forward to the rendering when available.
Thanks! The overall vision is that of a retro-modern vintage road racer. It will be street driven with an occasional track day. I'm looking to complete it with a high level of fit and finish, but not a show car. Been there done that.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
Neil B
DC Crew

Member #160018

My Corvette(s)
69 Corvette

Rendering

During some brainstorming for the rendering, I did some research on C3 Corvette racing history as well as other types of road racing from that Era. I also read (prior car owner) Chris DcDonald’s novel The Key to My Heart which is a story based on his first black ’69 Corvette. Corny as it may be, I was inspired to create a fictitious (but plausible) back story for my project, similar to what Steve Strope does for some of his creations. So here goes…
Old 10-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #12
Neil B
DC Crew

Member #160018

My Corvette(s)
69 Corvette

Rendering

The year was 1970 and Formula 1 rookie Emerson Fittipaldi had captured the U.S. Grand Prix victory at Watkins Glenn for Team Lotus. While in the U.S., Lotus Engineering Chief Colin Chapman met with Tony DeLorenzo along with top GM executives. Chapman was impressed with the success of the Owens Corning L88 Corvettes in FIA World Sportscar competition. Wanting to get young Emerson additional exposure and seat time in the U.S., Chapman commissioned DeLorenzo and team to build and campaign a third Corvette with Emerson as lead driver for selected races in the ’71 season. As a marketing experiment with his sponsor, Chapman requested that the car wear the now famous black-and-gold JPS (John Player Special) livery a full year prior to it’s introduction on the Lotus F1 cars. However, early in the ’71 season, the Owens Corning Corvette team disbanded before the JPS/Fittipaldi car was completed. A few months ago, a partially completed race car with lineage back to DeLorenzo was recently discovered in an Illinois corn field. The story of the car unfolded but, unfortunately, there are no records to ensure completion of the car with historical accuracy other than what is known about the Owens Corning cars. Therefore, the plan is to complete the car with a retro-modern feel with visual clues to it’s heritage.

This car incorporates all of my favorite things from the car hobby and my old racing days. I hope you guys like the direction it’s headed….

The Following User Says Thank You to Neil B For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (04-17-2017)
Old 10-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #13
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Awesome, classic combination of colors.

My show car is done in Black and Gold.

Looks Cool.............
Old 10-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #14
slofut
DC Crew

Member #119762

My Corvette(s)
1971 base conv. GTO LS1, T56.

Good job Neil! Perfect place to come into a project I think.
Hey, whatcha got up there on the lift?
slofut is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #15
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

You might consider adding C6 mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in