Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:

Looks like a question for grumpyvette. I would think you would improve a little, but it would also affect your top end. You may not be able to go 109 to Blockbuster anymore. :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
38 Posts
i think the LT4 would definitely improve. The LT1 redline is 5700 and you would probably need to shift to third before you hit 60. In the LT4 I think it would be a nice mod. At the end of the 1/4 mile The LT1 needs to go to fifth gear before the traps. The LT4 would be pulling about 6000 - 6200 at the end which is perfect.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
...the tires will be going 0 to 60,not sure if the car will be moving.you'll be the burn-out king for sure.:laughing: no,i'm sure it will help some what,with that 6-speed you might gain top end to.makes me wonder if you could now use you 6th gear for a top speed run.(conditions o.k. of coarse)if i had a 6-speed i would do the 4:10s.don't you run drag radials on the street?go for it.:smokin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes 6th gear will pull with 4.10s. ive hit 177 mph with 4.10s in 6th gear although it does pull kinda slow, and i had an endless straightaway. I dont reccomend it though because i think the 6th gear synchro isnt designed for any abuse... i read something about that on a zf page somewhere. Maybe thats why i blew the 6th gear synchro white 3 yrs ago...:huh: but i also think it was because of not enuff zf fluid

For a mild car 4.10s are good. For more serious cars if you want some traction with street tires 4.10s are too much.

I like 3.73s and will be switching soon.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
4.10's work great with 6-speeds... if you can get any traction off the line. :thumbsup:

T

·
0 Posts
We advise our customers not to go any taller then 3:73 for street applications. The stock C4's limited breating ability and lack of traction makes a 4:10 gear an overkilll street mod.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
tony c said:
We advise our customers not to go any taller then 3:73 for street applications. The stock C4's limited breating ability and lack of traction makes a 4:10 gear an overkilll street mod.
aloha,Tony C.
that makes good sense,however since it is an LT4 and running drag radials on the street,probably would work out really well.
:smokin:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've got 4.10's, and here is my take:

If you're gonna stay all motor and run a sticky tire at the track then they are great. If you're gonna spray it, you will run out of RPM at the end of the track.

I cross the line at 6K in 4th with my setup which makes peak power at 6200rpm.

On the highway, i go 70mph @ 2000 in 6th gear.

Jimmy

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there much benefit in going to a 3.73 gear? Is that enough of a change to make a difference?:huh:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Hey Patrick-

when I was with GM in the 90's we built a number of GS performance test mules that had 3.73 rears. In fact, there were internal rumblings that the GS was going to feature a 3.73 option. I think the reason it did not go through was the fact that the ZF transmission would have needed an expensive re-design to meet durability because the car now used 6th gear more frequently. From a performance standpoint the 3.73 was the best "balanced" performance option for the LT4 (all our testing was done on street tires.)

IMO it is worth it to move up from 3.42 to 3.73. You will feel the difference. I'm digging hard into the memory banks here (our testing was taking place in late 93/early 94) but I seem to recall Heinricy pulling 0-60's in the mid 4's in these cars with stock LT4's. GM doesn't do any formal 1/4 mile time testing, but our informal stopwatch tests suggested low 13's/high 12's on street tires. I wouldn't worry about the transmission durability issue because our test requirements were really far outside the realm of "normal and sane" day to day driving; our test transmissions were failing after the 20,000'th mile of sustained 150mph in 6th gear, etc.

I have 4.11's in my C5, and some times I wish I had gone 3.73. My car required a good deal of practice before I could launch it on street tires without excessive wheelspin. I don't think my car has a significant performance edge over a 3.73 equiped car, and I might even lose a few races to a car with 3.73's due to the touchier launch characteristics of my car.

Just my .02

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
moore_rb said:
Hey Patrick-

when I was with GM in the 90's we built a number of GS performance test mules that had 3.73 rears. In fact, there were internal rumblings that the GS was going to feature a 3.73 option. I think the reason it did not go through was the fact that the ZF transmission would have needed an expensive re-design to meet durability because the car now used 6th gear more frequently. From a performance standpoint the 3.73 was the best "balanced" performance option for the LT4 (all our testing was done on street tires.)

IMO it is worth it to move up from 3.42 to 3.73. You will feel the difference. I'm digging hard into the memory banks here (our testing was taking place in late 93/early 94) but I seem to recall Heinricy pulling 0-60's in the mid 4's in these cars with stock LT4's. GM doesn't do any formal 1/4 mile time testing, but our informal stopwatch tests suggested low 13's/high 12's on street tires. I wouldn't worry about the transmission durability issue because our test requirements were really far outside the realm of "normal and sane" day to day driving; our test transmissions were failing after the 20,000'th mile of sustained 150mph in 6th gear, etc.

I have 4.11's in my C5, and some times I wish I had gone 3.73. My car required a good deal of practice before I could launch it on street tires without excessive wheelspin. I don't think my car has a significant performance edge over a 3.73 equiped car, and I might even lose a few races to a car with 3.73's due to the touchier launch characteristics of my car.

Just my .02
Thank you so much for that great info! I think I'll be going with 3.73 when my pocket book fattens up.

I think that, some long tube headers, and some porting could be a really nice upgrade.:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts