Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, out cruising back from putting my Ti exhaust on and all of a sudden I feel a breeze on my neck. I look back and see my rear window hanging by two fabric elastic bands at the top of the window. The adhesive all around the window has given way and the window dropped. Anyone had luck with a fix for this before?

I am attempting a fix via washing the window and old adhesive area down with alcohol and re attaching it with Black RTV silicone. I stuffed comforters under the back window to hold it in place as the silicone dries. I'm going to give it 24-36 hours.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Im not sure how well Normal RTV will hold it. I owuld go out and buy some clear Windshield Adhesive just to make sure you get a good bond form moisture etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the RTV hs cured for about 18 hours now. The window seems very secure and I removed the comforters that were supporting the glass for a bried period to see how it looked. Looks good. I propped it back up to take the weight of the glass off the RTV until it has had a full 24 hours to cure. I may have to touch up one part but the top seem secure all around.

The black RTV is specificly for glass. I did some research and others with the same problem seem to have had luck with it.

Wish me luck. A new top is $500 alone, anyone know if a DIY'er can do a top?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wish me luck. A new top is $500 alone, anyone know if a DIY'er can do a top?

Im sure you can, but you have to stretch and cut, I believe it would be atleast a two person job.

But Im not sure on what specialty tools you did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts