Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
81,xxx Miles on my 02 Z06. Daily driver and an occasional autocrosser. Recently, my oil pressure sensor died so I replaced it with the DPE relocation unit with the manual gauge. Nice stuff. Everything came right back to fully operational. Pressure pegged at 40psi and only rises when I really jump on it. Then I changed my oil this weekend. 7qts 5W30 Mobil 1 High Mileage and the proper AC Delco filter. Same as always.

The last two days on my 45 minute drive to and from work, towards the end of my drive, the oil pressure falls to 26-ish psi as I sit in traffic at idle. Rises to 35-40psi while driving. Oil temp is between 212 and 230. Air temp is upper 70's. AC off. No odd sounds and the car runs strong. Checks the dip stick and oil level is correct. No foaming, no leaks, no drips, no burning smells.

I've read a million threads on this topic and some say its normal and some say its a concern.

Just wondering if I gotta start doing more research or if I'm just being overly paranoid. Thanks everyone.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,393 Posts
Personally I wouldn't be concerned with 25-30psi at idle with warm/hot oil if just a few rpms brings it up to the 35-40 range. I had a 70's Monte Carlo that had a sbc and would run about 10# at idle but about 40# at 1200rpm. It ran well, drag raced occasionally but no HPDE's or autocross stuff. It stayed together just fine.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
The main and rod bearings are starting to wear.
The real danger is when the Thrust bearing fails. The entire LS engine gets destroyed.

A common upgrade is A New Melling Oil pump.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with that pressure. Good rule of thumb is 10 lbs. for every 1k RPM. up til the pressure relief valve opens up. Spring might be a little weak at 81K, but nothing to worry about. Last time I changed oil in mine, I had some 10w-30 laying around and I used that up. I noticed that it carried slightly higher pressure throughout the range. If you autocross the car, maybe next time that you change the oil, put in some 10w-30 syn. If nothing else, it will make you feel better. These LS engines do not have oiling problems.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Your going to get alot of opinions on the topic matter.
40 psi in theory is good for 4000 rpms only.
Only 1 engine I trust to turn 6000 rpms with 40 psi oil pressure is an Olds 425 Super Rocket V8.

Since its a Z06 Vette I would expect 60-90 psi Hot oil pressure.

My old 87 C4 Vette has 59-60 psi Hot oil pressure yet with 10w30 oil.
Cold start its 68-75 psi.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welllll.....you know what they say about "Opinions".. NHRA 500 inch Pro Stock motors.....1480 to 1520 horsepower.....Dry sump systems.....pulled on the Engine Dyno to 10500 RPMs.....Oil pressure regulated to .....75lbs. Big inch Drag Race Motors, 450 to 800 inch, 16 to 1 compression, pulled anywhere from 8000 to 9000 RPMs ....External, belt driven adjustable oil pumps.....65 lbs. Now keep in mind that these can be adjusted up to 90 lbs. with a wrench and an allen key. The engine builder doesnt want to see more than 70.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
A Big Block Chevy has one of the most Blueprint perfect oil systems. Its factory priority oiled the msins and rods.

LS is not priority oiled.
Unless you buy a Dart NSX block.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That pressure at idil seems normal to me, but all I have to go by is reading many reports from others.

I have also read that some high performance oil pumps work too well, the stock engine can't drain as fast as the new pump can throw oil up into the valve train, and it can collect up there, starving the mains right when the revs are high.

I can only repeat what others have posted about stuff, just in case it helps prevent problems.

I don't agree with some of the thinking here because the Ls engine is designed from a clean sheet , a completely fresh start. Comparing it to older dino oil designs just doesn't make much sense to me, same as comparisons with all other motors that are not LS based. It is a different design and can't be expected to function other than designed.

I thought the reply that mentioned wear on the mains instructional, thanks. I can use that. with stuff like that, i could grow up useful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts