Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this letter from GM today! This may be old news..

Chevrolet

POBox 909989
Milwaukee, WI 53209-9989

As the owner of a 2004 model year Chevrolet Corvette, your satisfaction with our product is very
important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2004 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles may
have a fuel tank leak at the quick connectors that are used to link the left and right fuel tanks. The
customer may notice a fuel odor while the vehicle is being refueled, driven, or after it is parked. If the
leak becomes large enough, a small amount of fuel may be observed dripping on the ground. The
leak may also result in a diagnostic code being set and the illumination of the Check Engine light on
the instrument cluster.

Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you
believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank
connectors. If this condition occurs on your 2004 Chevrolet Corvette within 10 years of the date your
vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be
repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described
above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be
performed by a Chevrolet dealer. You may want to contact your Chevrolet dealer to find out how long
they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is
convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock.
Present this letter to your dealer as authorization to perform this service.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request
reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for
reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be
received by GM by August 31,2011.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact
your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the Chevrolet
Customer Assistance Center at 1.800.630.2438 (TTY 1.800.833.2438).

II

·
Registered
55 Posts
Got my letter earlier this week. No symptoms so I'll just file it away for now.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got my letter earlier this week. No symptoms so I'll just file it away for now.
You got,,, just file it away.. No Problem here either, so far!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I recieved the same letter from GM.
I do not have the problem and cross my fingers it does not develope at a latter date.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got mine 9-7-10. Baffled about the gas order during fueling. I smell fuel during fueling of all my vehicles, and for a few seconds after.:crazy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just discovered a nasty fuel leak on my 2004 C5 Convertible. For the past several months I have been noticing a gas smell in my parking garage, especially soon after filling up the tank, but yesterday I noticed a gas leaking from the left gas tank area (1 drop every 3 second). This morning I dropped my Vette off at the Chevy Dealer who replaced my fuel pump just 6 months ago. I also received the "Letter from GM". last year. The dealer called me 8 hours later saying that it will be another day before they can diagnose the source of the leak. The dealer didn't mention anything about the "GM fuel leak letter", I'm bit curious if they will do the "FREE" Repair as mentioned in the Letter Or if they will make the Carmax Warranty pay for the repairs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well after 33 hours after I dropped off my C5 at Fairway Chevrolet Dealership in Vegas, they told me that I may have a crack in my fuel tank. I asked them if it was related to the Letter I received from GM about the fuel leak. To my surprise they didn't know what I was talking about, so they ran my VIN# to find out if there were any pending recall etc. but turned out with nothing. I'm Faxing them a copy of the letter so that my Carmax warranty company doesn't get stuck with the bill if GM is suppose to pay for the repair.

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
Well after 33 hours after I dropped off my C5 at Fairway Chevrolet Dealership in Vegas, they told me that I may have a crack in my fuel tank. I asked them if it was related to the Letter I received from GM about the fuel leak. To my surprise they didn't know what I was talking about, so they ran my VIN# to find out if there were any pending recall etc. but turned out with nothing. I'm Faxing them a copy of the letter so that my Carmax warranty company doesn't get stuck with the bill if GM is suppose to pay for the repair.
Let us know what happens :thumbsup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
To all 2004 owners.
The only way you'll have any problems or get a letter from GM is if your car's VIN # falls between these:

2004 Chevrolet Corvette
VIN 45110258 to 45125500

If your VIN # isn't effected then I wouldn't worry about it ! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
... As the owner of a 2004 model year Chevrolet Corvette, your satisfaction with our product is very
important to us.
Yea right. Translation:

Since we don't want something fatal to happen to you and have your family sue the hell out of us, we are offering to fix this little mishap.

:laughing:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let us know what happens :thumbsup:
Day-3, I personally took the GM Letter to the dealership this morning and after I watched them read it they told me it wouldn't cover because I had a crack in the tank and not the quick disconnect. Well by 2pm they mysteriously changed their story and told me that the GM will be covering the repair and not my Carmax Warranty.:WTF

·
Registered
12 Posts
To all 2004 owners.
The only way you'll have any problems or get a letter from GM is if your car's VIN # falls between these:

2004 Chevrolet Corvette
VIN 45110258 to 45125500

If your VIN # isn't effected then I wouldn't worry about it ! :thumbsup:
..my C5 is 45112XXX and GM is paying for my fuel leak repair:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Day-3, I personally took the GM Letter to the dealership this morning and after I watched them read it they told me it wouldn't cover because I had a crack in the tank and not the quick disconnect. Well by 2pm they mysteriously changed their story and told me that the GM will be covering the repair and not my Carmax Warranty.:WTF
Now that's funny.

·
Registered
12 Posts
REALLY?!....The dealership just called me and said my fuel leak have been repaired (GM Covered Costs)..they said the repair only took a day. I guess they didn't have to drop the rear end and drop the tank.
Day 4- Got my Vette back from dealership. here's what they did:
Inspect Fuel tank leaks left side at idle lower and inspect left hand side fuel tank replaced worn out hole at cross over tube won't seal diagnosed and replaced left side fuel tank and retest no leaks found. (All PAID BY GM:thumbsup:)

Tank p/n 025899601 $554.83
pipe p/n 010337583 $ 46.98

Labor mechanical $ 732.83
Parts $842.53
Total Charge $1575.36

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I bet they inflate those numbers to make you feel good, but if you actually had to pay for the repair, it would be even higher. :lookinup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another Fuel System related problem

REALLY?!....The dealership just called me and said my fuel leak have been repaired (GM Covered Costs)..they said the repair only took a day. I guess they didn't have to drop the rear end and drop the tank.
My Vette is back at Fairway Chevrolet! Last night suddenly my Fuel Quantitly Indicator dropped down to Empty accompanied by Low Fuel Warning at half-tank of gas, then this morning on my way to the dealership it suddenly corrected itself. WTF? This year alone, Fairway replaced my fuel pump, left fuel tank, and a fuel leak repair and now this!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts