Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
43,429 Posts
Can't help you with the radio. When I replaced mine I put in a Pioneer unit with nav, Sirius, Back cam with a port for a front cam.

For the fuel leak, get a shop manual that will give step be step. Make sure you have all the tools necessary and make a list of all the cuss word you know so you don't have to keep repeating the same ones over and over

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can't help you with the radio. When I replaced mine I put in a Pioneer unit with nav, Sirius, Back cam with a port for a front cam.

For the fuel leak, get a shop manual that will give step be step. Make sure you have all the tools necessary and make a list of all the cuss word you know so you don't have to keep repeating the same ones over and over
I took a look at some U-tube videos, they were helpful. I took out a Kenwood radio because it didn't say " Corvette" when I started the car. As you said aftermarket gives you things corvette radios never made. I'm Ex-Army so cus words I know and don't repeat LOL

Terry

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 04 C5 Corvette last summer and it wasn't long after getting it home that I noticed the smell of gas coming from the driver side around the fuel filler area. As a first time Corvette owner, I just figured the gas smell was a price of Corvette ownership. Fast forward to this April (2022) when I started using the Vette again and the gas smell was just overpowering causing headaches and dizziness on long trips. I took the car into Bachman Chevrolet here in Louisville, KY and they put in writing that I had a gas leak at the driver's side gas tank and crossover pipe. To make the repair, a new gas tank (drivers side) plus 11 hours labor would be to me $3,300+. I declined and made a call to GM to see if I could get some manufacturers relief. In the interim, I Googled "04 C5 Corvette gas smell" and my eyes were opened. Who knew this was such a huge issue with a Special Bulletin *10150 from GM. They said the would replace the fuel system on 04's within certain parameters. HERE IT IS:
Chevrolet

POBox 909989
Milwaukee, WI 53209-9989

As the owner of a 2004 model year Chevrolet Corvette, your satisfaction with our product is very
important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2004 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles may
have a fuel tank leak at the quick connectors that are used to link the left and right fuel tanks. The
customer may notice a fuel odor while the vehicle is being refueled, driven, or after it is parked. If the
leak becomes large enough, a small amount of fuel may be observed dripping on the ground. The
leak may also result in a diagnostic code being set and the illumination of the Check Engine light on
the instrument cluster.

Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you
believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank
connectors. If this condition occurs on your 2004 Chevrolet Corvette within 10 years of the date your
vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be
repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described
above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be
performed by a Chevrolet dealer. You may want to contact your Chevrolet dealer to find out how long
they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is
convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock.
Present this letter to your dealer as authorization to perform this service.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request
reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for
reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be
received by GM by August 31,2011.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact
your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the Chevrolet
Customer Assistance Center at 1.800.630.2438 (TTY 1.800.833.2438).

Long story short, GM said FO and I got a local shop to make the repair for about $1,500. Hope this go well for you!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts