Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
06 Z06 tire damage and replacement - Please Read

Last Saturday night (around 10PM) I ran over something with my new Z06 and the rear tire went flat. My computer started blinking "Right rear tire flat" and I began wondering just how far I could drive on these runflats. Well, I made it home, turned on my air pump and began to reinflate the tire to see (hear) how bad the leak was. I heard a leak on the inside edge of the tire and then noticed about a half inch gash. The gash obviously didn't go all the way through because I could hear just a small amount of air leaking.

This morning I took my car into my local Chevy dealer and had them inspect the tire. I told them if the tire was beyond repair to please put a patch so I could at least get it home and decide what to do next, I also told them I wouldn't hold them responsible if the patch wouldn't hold. They advised me they weren't supposed to patch these high performance tires, they lose their high speed rating after that.

They did remove the tire and install a patch on the inside as I requested. They said they didn't think the patch would hold especially due to the fact it was near the sidewall, so they recommended I get a new tire ASAP. I looked up the Goodyear (GY) tire warranty and read that the tire "is" covered under road hazard injury during the first 2/32" treadwear or 12 months from date of service, wow was that a relief! I called a GY dealer near me (Discount Tire) and asked if they would get me a new tire, they called GY and ordered it and it should be here in about a week.

For you that don't know, the rear Z06 tire is about $650 retail - they are not cheap!!!! Thankfully GY is giving a road hazard warranty on these tires that they normally don't give, I was so pleased to find out they would cover it. Make sure any of you that have a new Z06 keep your GY warranty brochure that came in your glove box available in case you need to have service.

I want to finish this posting with a word of advice to all 06 Z06 owners. I have a new set of chrome Z06 wheels I bought from Craig at Radical Wheels. I've been waiting for some other tire manufacturers to produce some non-runflat tires that I could install on my new wheels because I've heard the car will handle a lot better with sticky non-runflats tires. After this experience, I would never want to be caught out on the road with a flat tire and no way to make it home. I understand that the GM Roadside Service (GMRS) will come and tow the car, but I know of no tow truck that has a ramp where they could lift the Z06 onto without scraping or damaging the undercarriage. I called GMRS to ask what they offer in such a case. They said they will remove the tire and take it to a tire repair station to have it repaired, or, tow the car to the station. Neither one of those options would have done me any good at 10PM on a Saturday night, besides finding a tow truck that could lift my car without damaging it. I would have been down a creek without a paddle!

For driving on the street, I will now never go without a runflat tire on this car!
I want to know if I get a flat I can at least drive the car home and park it in my garage. Inferior or not, runflat tires are a must as long as I am driving a $75k sports car around town, I would not want to be caught with this car crippled on the side of the road because of a flat tire! just food for thought.

EFE Z06

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the info EFE Z06. Your thoughts on using the run flats around town is something to seriously consider. Keeps control of the situation where it belongs.....in our hands.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Z06_505 said:
Thanks for the info EFE Z06. Your thoughts on using the run flats around town is something to seriously consider. Keeps control of the situation where it belongs.....in our hands.:thumbsup:
Thanks! I cringe at the thought of being stuck somewhere on the road with my Z06 and no way to get it home other than a tow truck. Even a tow truck that has a car bed still has ramps that are far to steep to drag a Z06 up, man I would be having heart failure if that was all there was and I heard the bottom of my car scratching or the air dam being torn off the front of the car while being loaded. No way Jose!!!!!!

At night time, how could a tow truck remove the tire and take it to be repaired, there are no tire stores open and even if there were, how many are set up to deal with a 12 inch wide rim? Then, what if the tire was beyond repair? Our $75k car would be literally stuck on the side of the road with no alternitive. A scary thought indeed!

EFE Z06

·
Registered
448 Posts
My reason exactly as to why I love runflats! My first vette with runflats was my 98'. After having the car for about 2 weeks, I left work and the low
tire pressure warning light was on. I figured the light was screwing up
because the car drove fine and I could weave back and forth with no
problem, ect, ect. Figured I would have to take it in next day to figure out
what was wrong with sensors. Well, nothing was wrong, one tire had zero
air pressure because of a screw in thread. Car drove fine, I was sold
forever on runflats. After 98, i had a 00, and a 01. My 02 Z06 did not
have runflats as you all know and I was forever worried about getting a flat in that car and ruining the rims or being stuck in the boon docks. The air
compressor and can of fix a flat did not much appeal to me as being any good. I am really glad new Z has them!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jbp8653 said:
The air compressor and can of fix a flat did not much appeal to me as being any good. I am really glad new Z has them!:thumbsup:
If you read the owners manual, you'll find that GM does not recommend any kind of canned tire repairs as it will cause the electronic tire sensors to stop working!

Wow, this is probably one of the most important issues for Corvette owners to know about, it could be a nightmare if a tire has a major blowout on the road late at night. Thanks!

EFE Z06

·
Registered
108 Posts
about 2 months ago i broke the axle housing and right rear drive shaft on my c6 Z06... and i did make it on to a roll back with no wheel scrapes or under carriage scrapes... i woudnt recommend it haha...but it can be done.....im sure there is another forum about this topic....but if this does happen to any of you guys dont panic....according to the dealer this has happened to quite a few Z06's...and of course it was under warranty....my personal thoughts are that there is too much torque management from gm and when i shifted relatively hard on new pavement the tires werent allowed to spin due to the TC which put all the stress on the rear driveshaft and the axle housing also suffered...just a guess

1 - 6 of 6 Posts