Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
For those that are experiencing the chatter or vibration through their shifter in 2nd gear (and maybe 4th gear), this is the latest scoop!

A GM service rep came up to my local dealer and assessed the problem a couple of weeks ago, he agreed it was not right and called the engineers that very day.

I received a call from the service department yesterday informing me that GM has a complete new shifting arm and linkage (apparently insulated better) they will be installing on my Z06, it should arrive in a few days. From what the service manager knows and could tell me, GM has designed a new shifter with some kind of bushings that improves the insulation of the shifter from the transmission and thus eliminating the chatter or vibration that some of us are feeling or hearing through the shifter.

My vibration didn't start until I hit around 1500 miles, others say they haven't felt it and already have 3k to 5k miles, I guess it is one of those issues like the flywheel - only appearing on some cars?

If you start to experience this chatter in your Z06, it will start very small and then get louder within a few hundred miles, it can be quieted by grabbing and holding the shifter tightly. Basically, clutching the shifter with your hand dampens the vibration and eliminates the sound, obviously this is what GM is doing by better insulating the linkage and the shifter. So, if you start to experience this in your car, visit your dealer and let them hear it, all they'll have to do is order the new parts. I'll post the results after they fix mine!

EFE Z06

PS:
The rep also took pictures of the small chips around both of my rear brake vents caused from the wide front tires throwing rocks and road debris down the side of the car. I told him the Z06's absolutely need some front mud guards just as those behind the rear wheels. I've heard they will have some available soon, I'm hoping they'll install them for free on the Z06's that have already been delivered, afterall our cars are being damaged by their lack of properly protecting the sides from the front tires. I'm sure they will come standard on the new 07 models.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Does this happen when the tranny is cold or warm? My shifter will knock when accelerating at a mild rate when in 2nd gear and the tranny is cold. Goes away when it gets warm.
I like the idea of the mudflaps! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lethlC6 said:
Can you post the part number so we can order it?
I don't know it yet, but I'm sure if you call your dealer and have them look up the problem they can. They'll have to order it as they have Z06's come in with the problem.

EFE Z06

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1FastZ06 said:
Does this happen when the tranny is cold or warm? My shifter will knock when accelerating at a mild rate when in 2nd gear and the tranny is cold. Goes away when it gets warm.
I like the idea of the mudflaps! :cheers:
This noise happens continuously from 1500 to 4000rpm while the trans is under torque, if you accelerate very slow with less torque - the noise is much less noticeable. It makes no difference if the trans is cold or hot. :thumbsup:

EFE Z06

·
Registered
41 Posts
Shifter rattle

Some time ago I installed a Z06 shifter in my 05' coupe. The difference between my 05' OEM shifter and the Z06 shifter is that the Z06 shifter does not have rubber bushings at the base whereas the 05' OEM shifter does.
For those of you who have B&M sihifters you know waht I mean about these bushings. I tried to adapt the rubeer bushings on the Z06 shifter but they won't fit.

I've driven the car about 4000mi with the Z06 shifter and it seems noise free.
The Z06 shifter seems marginally better than the coupe shifter but it does shift better. Put some Royal Purple sychromax in the Transmision and it shifts a whole lot better cold or hot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks EFE!

EFE,

Thank you for post that very valuable information. I am lucky enough to not, so far not have the problem at 3,640 miles.

Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
901 Posts
6K and no noise...have chips though, only around rear brake scoops, rest of car is OK. I was thinking they should redesign the plastic scoop inserts so they cover the area that chips.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took my Z06 into the dealer yesterday for the new upgraded shifter to fix the chatter problem. Picked it up today and the chatter is totally gone, the shifter is smooth and silent just as it was when new. I really thought it might cut the chatter down a lot but not completely, I was wrong - there is not a hint of noise now!

If any other new Z06 owners experience any chatter in 2nd or 4th gear under acceleration and torque, simply take it into the service department and tell them to order the new shifter, GM has the revised version now.

The service mechanic that disassembled my center console scratched my handbrake lever while disassembling, they replaced it also. They told me they followed the disassembly instructions carfully, but evidently the order of the instructions was not correct and thus the reason why the brake handle was scratched. The dealer sent in a report advising to change the instructions. So, to avoid your handle from being scratched, tell the dealer to be very careful when disassembling the center console and to check with GM in regards to procedure.

Now the only other problem GM needs to address is the lack of front tire mud guards to protect the side rear brake intake vents from getting further dinged. The front tires just throw everything they pick up at the rear vents and surrounding area, it's ashame my new paint is getting more and more small chips in that area. I understand GM has design some new guards but haven't released them yet. Otherwise, I'm loving this car more everyday! :thumbsup:

EFE Z06

·
Registered
24 Posts
EFE Z06,

I also have the 2nd gear chatter and would like to have it taken care of. It would help me a lot if you could give me your service managers name and phone #. With this info I can have my service manger contact yours so they will know exactly what the issue is with the gear shift. Do you have the part # for the new upgraded shifter? Thank you for your help. jd

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jduncanjd said:
EFE Z06,

I also have the 2nd gear chatter and would like to have it taken care of. It would help me a lot if you could give me your service managers name and phone #. With this info I can have my service manger contact yours so they will know exactly what the issue is with the gear shift. Do you have the part # for the new upgraded shifter? Thank you for your help. jd
Sorry jd I don't have the part number but GM is well aware of the problem and if you go to your dealer they can look it up. Below is my dealer's telephone number, the service manager's name is Heath. It takes about a week for them to get the new shifter and it can be changed in a few hours. Make sure you go out with the manager on a test drive so he knows exactly what it is, then require him to go with the mechanic after it is repaired, stress that no mechanic is to take your car out alone. Success! :thumbsup:
EFE Z06

Lamb Chevrolet
Prescott, AZ
928-778-5262

·
Registered
2 Posts
jduncanjd said:
EFE Z06,

Were you able to get Heath to give you a part number or service bulletin? If so, it would be greatly appreciated if you would share it here. I have the same problem and my local service manager cannot find any info on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to the dealer today and asked for the part number, but there is one problem. The shifter numbers change according to the date of your transmission. The dealer has to disassemble your shifter, get the number off the trans below it and order the right replacement, they are not all the same according the service manager. My new shifter part number is 15232011.

I confirmed, each dealer will have to get the part number off the transmission and call GM with that number to get the right replacement part, so you'll have at least two trips to the dealer requiring you to leave the car for a few hours each time. Success!

EFE Z06

·
Registered
188 Posts
Great info EFE...Thanks.....I have the same issue and talked to my dealership here in Sweden....They had no clue and started to talk about waiting for a recall from GM. Problem is that there are so few Z06's over here so the dealership have no experience what so ever.....With the new info from you EFE I will have another talk with my dealership....Again thank you very much!!!!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congaman said:
Great info EFE...Thanks.....I have the same issue and talked to my dealership here in Sweden....They had no clue and started to talk about waiting for a recall from GM. Problem is that there are so few Z06's over here so the dealership have no experience what so ever.....With the new info from you EFE I will have another talk with my dealership....Again thank you very much!!!!
From what I understand, there will be no recall because only some Z's are affected with this problem. As soon as your dealer contacts GM, they will be told the procedure as I've just outlined above. Make sure the mechanic does not scratch your brake handle when removing the center console, my dealer had to change mine after scratching it along the side. They blamed GM's removal instructions but I think it was just a sloppy mechanic. Success!

EFE Z06

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2006 Z06 also and the sound I hear ( I have only 200 miles on her) reminds me of the noise I heard after I installed a Hurst shifter in my old 2004 Z06. A mechanical type of whirring sound, emanating briefly, when starting off from a dead stop.

In this instance, I enjoy it and will definately NOT take my new Z in for any type of "repair", as it might be returned to me with a different set of "problems" (especially AFTER the test drive they'll have to do!)

In my case, I believe that it is a different sound I am hearing, not related to 2nd gear rattle. Hopefully, my Z won't develop the symptoms others are having.............

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LewisDela said:
Does the B & M shifter have this rattling problem or is it only the factory shifter?
If any shifter doesn't have some kind of insulating grummets between it and the transmission linkage, you'll get this kind of noise coming from the trans. When I raced Chevys (in the old days) all the Muncie transmission shifters produced this kind of chatter while under torque. If some like this noise and it doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it, but GM has re-designed new shifters to eliminate it. I don't believe a $70k car should have this problem and obviously GM agrees. :thumbsup:

EFE Z06

·
Registered
2 Posts
Both Z's rattle

i have two new z's one with 3500 miles and my wifes has about 100 miles and both rattle at the shifter - sounds like the knob. mb

1 - 20 of 31 Posts