Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just figure that I would post this for those out there that have watch the seemingly unending amount of videos that portray Japanese cars as being superior to the Vette.

I recently (two days ago) raced my buddy in his newly imported 2000 Nissan Skyline V-Spec. The car has been slightly detuned to run on 91 octane gas (Japan has 100 octane) and has 40K KM on the odo. He told me that he put out around 385 HP on a AWD dyno. My car is completely stock.

First run: forgot to turn traction control off... Pulled away strong all the away from a stand still.

Second run: He missed a shift but the C6 would have taken it anyway.

Not a very exciting kill story. It is my first race, however, so I am pretty happy with the car. I figure that I would post this after I saw a video a few months back that showed a V-Spec Skyline running on a C6 ZO6. The video looked like BS and now I know it was. Just to give his car credit... Being from AZ, it was fairly hot outside when we ran which would affect him quite a bit.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
While I love to hear about Vette wins, I would love to own an R34 Skyline just for the rarity of it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
That's dope. Your buddy must have paid a grip even for an older Skyline. Interestingly the Skyline holds a "somewhat" similar place in the heart of the Japanese as the Vette does to Americans. They also show up on the street at radically different levels of tuning. It is entirely possible that someone has a beast Skyline that'll beat any production Vette in the same way there are beast Vettes, beast Mustangs, etc. For me the only thing that really matters is that you get what you want, they'll always be someone faster. . . but I'm not going to lie, dusting obnoxious tuners is hella fun:cheers: After that, the questions are what do you get for what money out of the factory, and what can you do with it for what money.

PS I don't know about AZ, but you can still get 100 out from some Unical 76 stations in CA. It is very expensive, about double what 91 costs. However, I could give a serious product endorsement to Torco (racing fuel concentrate), it's the bomb and can be cost effective if bought in bulk. Your friend should get the Japanese tune, and put the good stuff in; that thing might turn into a wild animal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While I love to hear about Vette wins, I would love to own an R34 Skyline just for the rarity of it.
Yeah, his car is actually pretty unique. I am not sure how much you have looked at them but his is a 2000 and the electronics alone are far superior to the vettes. Whereas the vette has a DIC his Skyline has a 7 inch color lcd screen that has multiple inputs (oil temp, water temp, turbo boost, etc) he can configure this screen to read out in several ways. Not only can he choose what to display but he can configure the way it is displayed (bar graphs, graphical analog gages, etc). The car also has a full under pan with a carbon fiber rear valance and an adjustable wing. But, of course, all of that does not matter because he cannot beat a vette.:D

If you are ever interested in getting a Skyline send me a PM as my buddy buys them at auction in japan and ships them over here. Most importantly, he can get the cars legally registered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts