Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Newbie here, needing some help! I went to try to turn the car on earlier and unfortunately I couldn't. Here are my symptoms:

Push start button and it goes clack, clack as if it's trying to do something but it doesn't.

All lights and radio work but when I hit the push start button, no go.

At the same time, had a difficult time, raising my window, it would go up slowly in spurts.

Has anyone had this happen to them before?

My car is an 07 convertible automatic push button start.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sounds like a definite dead battery... recharge and try again. Then if the problem re-occurs replace the battery.. Others have reported similar problems. How many miles on your new Vette ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks vet430 and c6z51, the car has 560 miles on it. Definitely going to check the cables and will recharge the battery. I also tried resetting and a couple other tips found on the forum and in the manual. Needless to say, a little frustrated that this is happening so early on.

·
Supporting Dealer
10,438 Posts
sounds like it may have been on a lot for a while at a dealer (?!) and if they did not have it fully charged, that coudl happen just after a few days of sitting. The point that you have some power is good...

CHARGE THE BATTERY and I'm sure you'll be fine. Be aware that in this current state you are in, you may see some FALSE warnings on the driver info center.....don't worry about them until the battery is charged and then take her for a spin.....the warnings should be in 99% of the cases, GONE!

Good luck

·
Registered
754 Posts
sounds like it may have been on a lot for a while at a dealer (?!) and if they did not have it fully charged, that coudl happen just after a few days of sitting. The point that you have some power is good...

CHARGE THE BATTERY and I'm sure you'll be fine. Be aware that in this current state you are in, you may see some FALSE warnings on the driver info center.....don't worry about them until the battery is charged and then take her for a spin.....the warnings should be in 99% of the cases, GONE!

Good luck
Rick makes an excellent point. When I went to pickup my new Z06 it wouldn't start. The same "clack clack clack" your describing.... ( At one point the DIC read no FOB, I think) The internal lights turned on, I think the radio worked, but it wouldn't turn over. The dealer re-charged the battery and I have not had a problem since.. (1200 miles and 2.5 months later)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks CorvetteConti and c6z51, that's exactly what we're experiencing! Definitely going to get that battery recharged!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thanks CorvetteConti and c6z51, that's exactly what we're experiencing! Definitely going to get that battery recharged!
No problem, by the way welcome to DC !!! There is lots of good info here, and plenty of folks who take you further than the basic advice we have offered thus far....:buhbye:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was having these kinds of problems with my 05 Z51. Now as painful as this is to admit here is what I was doing wrong (and I am prepared to catch flack from everyone on this one). This may not be causing your problem but when I took this precaution I never had a dead battery again (and I am totaly serious about this).

I was washing and waxing the car with the key fob in my pocket. :smack So when I would walk around the car washing and drying it or applying/removing wax I was setting off the sensors that unlock the doors etc. I would then drive a couple of miles and then put the car away. Two days later I would go to start it and nothing or barely anything (just enough for the seat memory and clank clank clank dead). So after a new battery from the dealer and several tows I started putting the key fob 20 feet away when I detailed and I never had the problem again. The luxury of not having to pull the key out of your pocket to get into the car has it's drawbacks.

But for over a year now no problem (and I take the same precaution with my 06 Z06 now as well). Maybe this helps.....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
This is such a common problem...I'll bet a large percentage of salesman aren't putting the cars in reverse after test drives. This was the case when I bought my car.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
sounds like the battery died of boredom.run it.the only time mines off is when i,m sleeping,in the bathroom,doin the nasty or get gas

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is such a common problem...I'll bet a large percentage of salesman aren't putting the cars in reverse after test drives. This was the case when I bought my car.
The reverse shut down switch was eliminated in '06. A bad battery is my guess. GM says that the car is good for a month without being started - two weeks is closer to realism. I had mine replaced once and then after I had problems again - went out and found the biggest battery that I could find that would fit. No problems since!

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
The same thing happened to my wifes van it ended up being the battery cables had to be tightened and then woila it worked so check the battery cables it should be ok then

1 - 14 of 14 Posts