Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Monday morning I was dropping off my dodge truck at the dealership to get some basic work done. (My brother drove the truck and I drove the Z) After we dropped it off we jumped in the Z put in the clutch, started it up and it instantly leaped forward. I depressed the clutch, and nothing .. the pedal was just lying on the floor. Now I am at about 1200 miles and really drive pretty moderately most of the time. I had been driving it pretty hard that weekend, but nothing that should have been beyond what the car could handle.

The good news is that I was actually sitting there facing the service center of the Chevy dealer right next door when it happened. So we walked over and they came over and took a look. They pushed the car over to the Chevy service garage and told me they wouldn’t have a diagnosis until Tuesday when the corvette guy arrived (small town, small dealer) which was fine with me. Went back, got my truck, and drove home. The dodge guy couldn’t stop laughing, not so much that the Chevy had an issue, but the whole scenario and apparently they were admiring the Z while I was inside setting up service (again, small town, small dealer)

Anyways I got a call today, and they said the clutch cable and disconnected from the master cylinder due to component failure and that I needed a new master cylinder. It will be here Thursday and I am happy to wait. However I am trying to understand exactly what went wrong and why. I understand (on a basic level) how the clutch works and the assemblies, the pedal should basically directly operate the master cylinder, via cable, which would explain why a break in that linkage would cause this issue. However I have not seen the failed part yet, (I will definitely ask to see it when I pick the car up). Has anybody had any similar experience or feedback on this type of failure? Any input is greatly appreciated. Just seems odd the cable would detach from the Master Cylinder.... Maybe I press the pedal too hard :huh:

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I don't think you press the pedal to hard...:laughing: I have not heard of that failure before. I think you just got that one part in a million that was doomed to fail, and slipped past quality control.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had the master cylinder in my C5Z06 replaced with a McLeod master cylinder and I don't recall any cables? It went straight through the firewall and hooked up via mechanical linkage to the clutch pedal. Don't think it's different on the C6Z06.

·
Registered
10 Posts
....maybe 2 in a million? My C4 was brand new in '86 and i was leaving from the top floor of a parking garage. While decending the 5 levels, the same thing happened to me except that i was in gear when it happened!!! Anyway, 2 hands on the stick to yank it back and a tow to the dealer saved the day....broken linkage was fixed and happy days were here again! I've thought about that event a few times while in my 06 VY Z06 but all is well for now!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think you press the pedal to hard...:laughing: I have not heard of that failure before. I think you just got that one part in a million that was doomed to fail, and slipped past quality control.
Yeah, I am just trying to come up with a reason for the failure. I understand some parts are just defective, just want to make sure I can avoid a similar issue in the future

I had the master cylinder in my C5Z06 replaced with a McLeod master cylinder and I don't recall any cables? It went straight through the firewall and hooked up via mechanical linkage to the clutch pedal. Don't think it's different on the C6Z06.
Your probably right... I was a bit suspicous when they said cable, but I have not personally seen the entire assembly. I would love to see an exploded diagram and parts listing, if anybody knows where I can find one.

My biggest fear is that they are not real sure what it is and are starting with the first in line or most likely cause, thats why I want to see the defective part. I also think its important to fully understand what work is being done on the car and why regardless of who is performing it.

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup: Hopefully I will have her home in time for the weekend. :cheers:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just picked her up tonight. The service center did a very nice job detailing the car, and actually took the time to touch up the front end, that got a little banged up when the car lunged forward.

The clutch feels a bit softer than it did before, but I guess its hard to say for sure as I’ve been driving the C6 coupe and truck all week..

The hookup between the clutch and the master cylinder is actually cable driven, you can see it in the linkage, and I can see right where it came disconnected on the failed part. It pushed through the firewall, leaving the clutch engage. Truly a part quality issue, where it just broke… (I should have taken a picture….)

I read about issues with the clutch fluid at: http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html based on this I did inspect the old clutch fluid when I picked the car up. It was really dark, and kind of nasty looking. (1200 miles) The mechanic who worked on my car said that was typical and the viscosity rating was well beyond where I had taken it. I’ve also heard from others the discoloration might be expected and the cause might be due to be the fact that there is much more fluid movement in the clutch system than there is in the brake system and that the discoloration maybe pickup from the hose liner. When I asked about bleeding it or changing it at frequency he disagreed, and said it should be fine, unless I race it frequently.

Anyways, I wanted to post what I hope to be the end of this scenario. I read other posts, where the outcome was never posted... Hopefully this is the last of this one... Thanks to those who commented... :cheers:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I’d hoped it was over but it wasn’t … So anyways, this weekend the CEL came on. I took it in today to get he diagnosis and it was “clutch puddle adjustment sensor” I am waiting for the exact codes. They re-adjusted the clutch, but were only able to do so manually apparently the part they needed to hook up to the Z06 to measure the clutch electronically was malfunctioning. (They couldn’t say for sure if it was the diags tool or the car) After hearing the explanation I am pretty sure it was the diags harness.

Apparently the way this works is the clutch sensor will trigger if 20 or more 0 – 30mph runs are made without disengaging the clutch… This explains why the fault did not occur immediately after picking up the car. They re-adjusted the clutch and reset the sensor, so now we are in a wait and see mode. I agreed to take the car, if they agreed to fix their diags equipment… Will post again once I have more info… :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts