Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5708

Chek out this quote:
"It's clear even from the passenger seat that there is more oomph ahead of the firewall, but it's more subtle than it used to be. Everything is sensed through the steering wheel. I hate to say it, but it feels — heaven help us — Porsche-like. In fact, a Porsche with better balance and power delivery."

Hellz yea!!:D

·
Registered
386 Posts
The LS3 and its upgraded exhaust, transmission, and steering are good improvements that put the Corvette even further up the value chain. And the interior refinements are not unwelcome.

Let's remember, also, that the LS2-powered C6 beat essentially every mass production Porsche 911 on the BBC's Top Gear test track (sorry, Jeremy). This includes the 911 Carrera S, the 911 Turbo, and even the 911 GT3.

Way cool! :cool:

·
Registered
321 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Did it really beat the GT3 though? The track was VERY wet when they did laps for the GT3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Laps

Fair point, Kraemer. And let's just say up front that the 911 and its GT3 variant are probably some of the best balanced, most gorgeously turning cars made for the mass market. This is all the more impressive given the improbable location of the 911 engine.

That said, Top Gear says that the GT3 gets to 60mph in 4.5 seconds and achieves a top speed of 190mph -- figures more or less matched by the C6 coupe.

And while the GT3 has 15hp more than the C6 coupe, it has 25% less torque and it delivers peak output at something like 7500rpm, much higher than the C6. Is it fair to ask if this would (negatively) affect recovery coming out of a turn?

The GT3 is equipped with tires that are designed essentially for the track. For this reason, Porsche even warns GT3 owners in writing that their car may hydroplane on less-than-dry surfaces. This limited functionality has both pros and cons, but it has been a deliberate decision by Zuffenhausen. Same with the lack of an air conditioner, reduced sound proofing, and other weight-saving decisions.

I'd like to see a GT3 on the Top Gear track in the dry, but all of us know that if the shoe was on the other foot, Clarkson and Co. would give no benefit of the doubt to the Corvette. So we go with the numbers we have.

Given the hp/tq and output issues, all I can say for sure is that a GT3 on the dry would be close to the C6: maybe ahead, maybe behind. And for its six-figure price tag it had better be! ;)

PS: I love Porsches and I'm a former owner.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Fair point, Kraemer. And let's just say up front that the 911 and its GT3 variant are probably some of the best balanced, most gorgeously turning cars made for the mass market. This is all the more impressive given the improbable location of the 911 engine.

That said, Top Gear says that the GT3 gets to 60mph in 4.5 seconds and achieves a top speed of 190mph -- figures more or less matched by the C6 coupe.

And while the GT3 has 15hp more than the C6 coupe, it has 25% less torque and it delivers peak output at something like 7500rpm, much higher than the C6. Is it fair to ask if this would (negatively) affect recovery coming out of a turn?

The GT3 is equipped with tires that are designed essentially for the track. For this reason, Porsche even warns GT3 owners in writing that their car may hydroplane on less-than-dry surfaces. This limited functionality has both pros and cons, but it has been a deliberate decision by Zuffenhausen. Same with the lack of an air conditioner, reduced sound proofing, and other weight-saving decisions.

I'd like to see a GT3 on the Top Gear track in the dry, but all of us know that if the shoe was on the other foot, Clarkson and Co. would give no benefit of the doubt to the Corvette. So we go with the numbers we have.

Given the hp/tq and output issues, all I can say for sure is that a GT3 on the dry would be close to the C6: maybe ahead, maybe behind. And for its six-figure price tag it had better be! ;)

PS: I love Porsches and I'm a former owner.
GT3s do have a/c. Remember a/c is being required in closed cars at LeMans and ALMS races. Moronic not to have it in a streetable car--like the Mustang R of years ago. I would bet on a GT3 at a racetrack over just about any other sports car--street legal, again. It is a fantastic car. Speedwise--very close to the C6 in straight line races, 60-0 distances and top end. But as you say, and this is the key point: GT3 $125,000; C6/Z51 stick $47,000. To even reasonably compare the two is the highest praise possible for the Corvette. My god, almost 60% less money for 99% of the performance. :thumbsup:

·
SinisterC6's Daddy
1,026 Posts
"Basic output is 430 bhp at 5900 rpm with 424 lb.-ft. of torque at 4200 rpm. When combined with the optional $1995 performance exhaust system, power is bumped to 436 bhp, and torque to 428 lb.-ft. The system is similar to that on the Z06, but uses 2.5-in. exhaust tubing instead of 3.0 in."

$1995 for 6hp!? :crazy:

·
Registered
565 Posts
"Basic output is 430 bhp at 5900 rpm with 424 lb.-ft. of torque at 4200 rpm. When combined with the optional $1995 performance exhaust system, power is bumped to 436 bhp, and torque to 428 lb.-ft. The system is similar to that on the Z06, but uses 2.5-in. exhaust tubing instead of 3.0 in."

$750 for Bullets...easy choice. :cheers:

·
Registered
386 Posts
GT3s do have a/c. Remember a/c is being required in closed cars at LeMans and ALMS races. Moronic not to have it in a streetable car--like the Mustang R of years ago. I would bet on a GT3 at a racetrack over just about any other sports car--street legal, again. It is a fantastic car. Speedwise--very close to the C6 in straight line races, 60-0 distances and top end. But as you say, and this is the key point: GT3 $125,000; C6/Z51 stick $47,000. To even reasonably compare the two is the highest praise possible for the Corvette. My god, almost 60% less money for 99% of the performance. :thumbsup:

I know it may seem kinda extreme, but the GT3 in Europe doesn't come with air conditioning. You can get climate control, and a pile of other stuff, if you pay for an expensive options package, but the GT3 is built as a lightweight track car without a/c or climate control. One might say that it just happens to be streetable. The Top Gear GT3 had no a/c, no electric windows, seats, etc.

One twist on this Top Gear GT3: it was factory built as right-hand drive. Seeing as Porsche produces about as many 911 units annually as Bowling Green does Corvettes, it might be nice if Corvettes were available in the UK, Australia, and Japan in factory RHD. Might do something for Corvette sales in those markets. Who enjoys driving -- and all the blind spots and hassles -- a LHD car in a RHD market?

·
Registered
386 Posts

LOL! You're right. It's a ridiculous offer in terms of hp.

I suspect that the only real reason to purchase the NPP exhaust is that its dual-mode functionality allows both quiet cruising about town and full-on performance sound when you feel like a bit of Mad Max.

This functionality is not too common, and therefore is kind of cool. And that's probably also why it's expensive.

·
Brown Noser
782 Posts

Actually it is 1195 ... but it is still expensive.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I know it may seem kinda extreme, but the GT3 in Europe doesn't come with air conditioning. You can get climate control, and a pile of other stuff, if you pay for an expensive options package, but the GT3 is built as a lightweight track car without a/c or climate control. One might say that it just happens to be streetable. The Top Gear GT3 had no a/c, no electric windows, seats, etc.

One twist on this Top Gear GT3: it was factory built as right-hand drive. Seeing as Porsche produces about as many 911 units annually as Bowling Green does Corvettes, it might be nice if Corvettes were available in the UK, Australia, and Japan in factory RHD. Might do something for Corvette sales in those markets. Who enjoys driving -- and all the blind spots and hassles -- a LHD car in a RHD market?
I read somewhere that the C7 will be offered in right hand drive. :partyon: Isn't GM already building RHD vehicles in Australia through Holden?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
LOL! You're right. It's a ridiculous offer in terms of hp.

I suspect that the only real reason to purchase the NPP exhaust is that its dual-mode functionality allows both quiet cruising about town and full-on performance sound when you feel like a bit of Mad Max.

This functionality is not too common, and therefore is kind of cool. And that's probably also why it's expensive.
:agree: NPP is the ultimate Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde transformation. The super wide sound range is what makes it cool and unique! :partyon:

·
Registered
565 Posts

That's completely different than the one we get. I wonder if it is a Club Sport option? Porsche does that type of thing. I don't use it much, but I need my a/c!!! :smack

·
Registered
386 Posts
I read somewhere that the C7 will be offered in right hand drive. :partyon: Isn't GM already building RHD vehicles in Australia through Holden?

No Corvette has been produced by GM in RHD, ever. No Corvettes have ever been built in Australia or modified there by Holden. There has been some discussion on this topic on the DC forum. You can find the full details if you search the forum for "Australia" or "RHD".

GM has been making noises about engineering the C7 as a true world car with both LHD and RHD versions manufactured at the Corvette factory in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Unfortunately, GM or the GM rumor mill said similar things prior to the launch of the C5 and the C6.

I do hope that GM makes the C7 a true world car with factory production in both LHD and RHD. If Porsche can do it for the 911, the General can do it for the Corvette.

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's completely different than the one we get. I wonder if it is a Club Sport option? Porsche does that type of thing. I don't use it much, but I need my a/c!!! :smack

Too true. And the C6 climate control absolutely rocks. I may be showing my lack of knowledge on the latest car models by stating this: But if there is a more quick and powerful climate control system than the one in the C6, I'd be very impressed.

·
Registered
690 Posts
NPP + LG headers & cats = ultimate sleeper (worth the money to me)

A

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
Too true. And the C6 climate control absolutely rocks. I may be showing my lack of knowledge on the latest car models by stating this: But if there is a more quick and powerful climate control system than the one in the C6, I'd be very impressed.
i like being cold when its 90+ outside with the top off and the windows down

1 - 20 of 21 Posts