Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 with a glass targa top that creeks and squeeks terribly whenever the temp gets above Appx. 80 degrees. Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
2005 - 2011 MYs

Corvette -- Noise from roof panel while driving

Use GM Dielectric grease for lubrication of the weatherstrips

For noise use GM Superlube to lubricate the weatherstrips

08-08-67-013F TSB

·
Registered
170 Posts
I Agree

I agree with the above. Lubrication seems to be the only remedy out there at this moment.

Good luck out there.
Brent
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do all the Chevy dealers keep it in stock, and any idea on the price of the lube?
I want to say that Chevrolet dealerships do indeed keep it stocked. If they do not, they will be able to point you in the direction you need to be pointed to obtain it.

I do not know the pricing, no. It probably changes depending on the brand you purchase. It should not be too terribly high.

Brent
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
103 Posts
Chevrolet has a revised latch design available. The transparent top on my 08 was very noisy when it was hot, which is often here in AZ. My dealer replaced the latches (under warranty); no more noise.---John

·
Registered
2020 Corvette black over black
234 Posts
I had the same problem, lots of popping and snapping coming from the roof panel whenever I drove over the smallest bump. I lubricated the pins, rollers, and weatherstripping and the top was dead silent. That was a couple of years ago and the sound never came back.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My whole damn car creaks, does Chevy have a fix for that? Especially the rear hatch, it has 14,000 miles on it and it sounds like it has 214,000 and was built in 1976.

Seriously, the rear glass and rear hatch latch squeek, pop, and groan like crazy...Any suggestions?

The front fenders even squeek while I am LIGHTLY handwashing the car. :surprised :crazy:

Outstanding fit and finish... :spanked:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I did pick up the lube last Thursday, and lubed up the top.
It was hot as a pepper in Houston over the weekend, and no noise from the top.
I think to save some $ on the lube, you could use spa and pool lube, as I have some of that, and it is basically the same as the GM stuff.

The lube does work!!!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
abn373,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Have you got a proper diagnosis from the dealership about this issue?

Thank you

Elizabeth, Chevy Customer Service

·
Registered
296 Posts
That is a good point, I should take it to the dealer. I just figure I am out of the warranty coverage, it's a 2007.

I figure at 14k miles it should not sound like it does, I don't race it or beat it, I drive it, but it's a car, so that should be accounted for.

Not trying to bash the Corvette, it's my second one and a great car, but it is pretty sad when my wife's 2010 Ford Escape that she absolutly abuses and already has twice the mileage on, has a better build quality, fit and finish, than a Corvette.

Maybe the rear glass needs that lube, but I would have no idea how you would get it in there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Abn373,

I completely understand. I advise you to just call them to see if there is a Technical Service Bulletin or anything you can do at home to fix the issue. They would also be able to let you know how to get the lube in there. I am sure someone on the forum would also know since they have done it before themselves.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
This squeak was the only unwelcome sound I've had in my 5 years of ownership / daily driving.

There were several "proven" fixes for the squeak and I tried one (which didn't work) before I got a spray can of white grease from Pepboys. It came with the very skinny little red "straw" that mounts to the spray nozzle. Shoot a small amount of that white grease into the axis of the small roller on the roof latches. The squeak will immediately stop. You will be glad to know that the can of grease should last you several decades, because the squeak has not returned after that initial spray about 4 years, 4 months.

I live in So Cal so heat will not make it return. I think this grease is not significantly affected by the cold, but I'm not certain of that.

Happy Driving!

·
Registered
296 Posts
There were several "proven" fixes for the squeak and I tried one (which didn't work) before I got a spray can of white grease from Pepboys. It came with the very skinny little red "straw" that mounts to the spray nozzle. Shoot a small amount of that white grease into the axis of the small roller on the roof latches.

Happy Driving!
Longtimer, that is interesting. Seems like the grease you used is relatively thin. I am betting I could shoot it along that gap where the rear glass attachs to the rear hatch and it might do the same thing. I guess the worse that will happen is I will use up a bottle of windex cleaning up the mess.

What is the brand of grease you got at PepBoys? There is one about 10 mins from my house.

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
Longtimer, that is interesting. Seems like the grease you used is relatively thin. I am betting I could shoot it along that gap where the rear glass attachs to the rear hatch and it might do the same thing. I guess the worse that will happen is I will use up a bottle of windex cleaning up the mess.

What is the brand of grease you got at PepBoys? There is one about 10 mins from my house.
I think it's Westley's or something like that. I know exactly where it is in my Garage. I'll check tonight and let you know.

Regarding the glass issue. This is completely new to me. Unless you have read of similar problems recently on the forums, this is not a "normal" issue, like the little roller on that roof latch. Just in case I missed it, do a search on the Forums for "squeaky glass" to see what you get.

If no one else has complained about this, I suggest you consider having Chevy look at it. Those rear windows are CO$TLY. If your is loose from the hatch frame for some reason, I'd let Chevy make the adjustment. You don't want to have buy a replacement because it fell out on the free, nor because it broke when you tightened something too much. JMHO

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
Abn373,

I completely understand. I advise you to just call them to see if there is a Technical Service Bulletin or anything you can do at home to fix the issue. They would also be able to let you know how to get the lube in there. I am sure someone on the forum would also know since they have done it before themselves.

Thank you

This was epidemic in the late 06 and 07s, but I think the posts about this stopped sometime before the 08s came out. Don't know if they redesigned it, changed the materials, or maybe the factory started using my Pepboys grease spray :D:D:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
I will take your advice (and CustSvc) on both accounts. I for sure do not want to replace that glass. If Chevy tells me to pound sand, I will go the grease route.

FWIW, I have a 2007, but it is an early 2007...build date of 2006 and has the early floor mats and such.

Being a Z06, I can't really access the roof mounts, but again,my squeeks are from the front fenders (passenger side in particular...vicinity of headlight) and mostly the rear glass. It creaks on any bump...and PA roads are nothing but bumps, except when you are falling into a pot hole, but the rear hatch and glass even creak when I am hand washing it...Damn weird.

Thanks forr the help, I will update my results...oh, and sorry for the hi-jack of the thread.

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
Whoa! The roof squeak fix is only for the targa tops. The fixed roof Z06 must be addressed by Chevy. You might be experiancing the early stages of delamination.

As I recall, the supplier for the adhesive used on the body colored targa tops was still having problems into the '07 run. This might (?) be the same adhesive used for the Z06 fixed roof. Regardless, that roof should be on solid and should NOT be squeaking or moving at all. I would NOT recommend using the grease on the Z06 roof. Chevy needs to fix that - should be covered by them.

BTW, I took delivery of my '07 Z51 on August 24, 2006 at NCM.

I also walked right past that damn grease about 5 times last night and forgot to get the name on the can. Sorry. :huh: :bang
I'll set up a reminder in my Outlook to chime me to night so I don't forget again.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is interesting, I searched the crap out of the web last night at work...lol...and it seems that this is a very common problem on early Z06s. Seems the issue is from one of two problems. One, a misaligned hatch, caused by one of the bumpers being slightly lower and allowing a jiggle. Two, the glass seals squeeking and need lubed.

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
Sorry, I must be getting old. I'd rather think that I just didn't retain those issues because they didn't affect my Z51.

Glad you found the solutions.

BTW, the grease I used is Liquid Wrench White Lithium Grease.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts