1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
witch is stronger 10 or 26 spline input shaft
on my 1971 i have a 26 spline
does this tell meSOMETHING about the trans
SUCH AS ORGINAL ENGINE SIZE AND WHAT TYPE OF TRANS IT IS?
OLDENGINE IS NOT ORGINAL

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
as I remember, the 10 spline shaft came on the M-22, which is a wide ratio known as the "ROCKCRUSHER". I don't think the 26 spline shaft was ever installed in that trans. The M-20 and M-21 could have had either a 10 or a 26. I had a M-21, close ratio that had the 26 spline shaft in a '73 Camaro, and my Vette has the same trans but has a 10 spline. So that's two different shafts in the same tranny. I don't remember the last time I had anything to do with a M-20, so I have no idea on that one.

There is another way to identify the trans, too. Some years there were "rings" aound the shaft that helped identify which one it is. I've seen the lisin here, but don't have any idea how long ago it was. Might try a search for "manual transmission" or something like that and see if you can turn
it up..

:cheers:

·
Registered
179 Posts
The 10 spline Muncie is the weaker of the 2. The 26 spline came out sometime in 71 as I recall and it had a bigger output shaft also. The 10 spline was an early trans and it came as a M22 also in the early cars. The later transmissions M22 included had the 26 or fine spline as it is called sometimes. The trans is probably original. The serial number of the car should be stamped on the side of the case also to verify if it is original.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts