Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brits Pioneer 100mpg Carbon Car

It's a Lotus Elise, but not like any you've seen before. This is a British car capable of returning 100mpg, and it has two hugely influential backers - the UK Government and the motor industry - so it might succeed where other 'green' projects have failed!

It's called the AeroCarbon, and is so aerodynamic that its ultra-low petrol consumption makes hybrid vehicles look thirsty. It boasts a drag coefficient of only 0.22 - by comparison an Elise has 0.34 - and the four-seater is also only half as heavy as similar-sized conventional cars. "The carbon fibre spaceframe and panels save weight," said Dr Steven Cousins of Cranfield University, Beds, where the car is being developed. "It's a safe, crashworthy design, and this country has the expertise to exploit the benefits of this material."

The 660cc engine and powertrain are from Honda and will give the car a top speed of 92mph. It has a Lotus Elise suspension, steering and windscreen, while Ford, Caterham and space rocket company APECS are also partners in the project. Yet despite £2million of investment, more commercial backers are needed. "We want extra funding to take it to production," said Cousins, who has been developing eco vehicles for a dec-ade. "Hybrids and fuel cells are not the only route to 100mpg, and both will need light bodies like the AeroCarbon's to achieve it."

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
if it looks like that it better do something good....cause it sure as hell doesn't look good

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,516 Posts
It's a good thing it has dark windows. That way nobody could see that you are driving it. 92mph. Is that down hill with the wind? 660cc. That's about the size of the coffee cup I get on my way to work. If you took that to the drags you wouldn't need a stop watch, you'd need a calendar.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Yet despite £2million of investment, more commercial backers are needed. "We want extra funding to take it to production," said Cousins, who has been developing eco vehicles for a dec-ade. "Hybrids and fuel cells are not the only route to 100mpg, and both will need light bodies like the AeroCarbon's to achieve it."
HELL YEA b/c the price for carbor fiber is just rediculous!! I could get the curb weight of my car down to 2600 with a carbon fiber body and Z06 engine. :cheers:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,516 Posts
Re: Re: 100mpg Car

War machine said:
I could get the curb weight of my car down to 2600 with a carbon fiber body and Z06 engine. :cheers:
Wouldn't that be a fun car then.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 100mpg Car

Torch Red 2K said:
Wouldn't that be a fun car then.
:thumbsup:

If carbon fiber were to be had on the cheap, I wouldn't stop with the body. I'd do as much of the car as possible...intake, valve covers, driveline support beam...anything I could. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I'll take my vette and 20 mpg thank you. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts