Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 12 Disc CD changer in my 01 Coupe. On really hot days (92 degrees plus) the sound from the changer cuts in and out. It does it mostly when the car has been sitting for hours in the sun and it's 120 degrees inside. Is anyone else having this problem. I still have a few months of warranty left and will make them give me a new one if nobody else's is acting up. I play store bought Cd's and also ones that I've burned myself. I know that extreme heat and electronics is not a good combination.

Thanks!!

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
I used to be HEAVILY into car audio. (Took me years to pay off my Visa!)

With some components, if the audio is cutting out, it could be the thermal protection for that unit... and that it's shutting down because of excessive heat - and to avoid damage to the electronics.

Where is the disc changer located in the car? In the greenhouse?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the stock C5 12 Disc unit. And, yep it's in that oven the greenhouse in the large covered storage compartment under the floor. Actually, it can get pretty hot back there even on a cool day. You are probably right about the switch but I don't remember the disc player cutting out last summer. I'll keep an eye on it. And, I too have spend a small fortune in my day on car and audio electronics. Don't tell my wife. Thanks!!:excited: :partyon: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK!! Here's the skinny on why my 12 disc CD changer was skipping in my C5. After some experimentation yesterday in the 97 degree heat I figured out what was going wrong and now, I'm sharing. All of the pre-recorded store bought CDs played fine. I mentioned that I also burned some of my own CDs. It seems that CDs created on the audio burner connected to my stereo also worked fine. The culprit is any CDs that were burned on my computer's CD burner. For some reason those have 5 to 10 second sound drop outs when they feel like it. I had 6 of those CDs in the magazine the last few days. It might be the brand of blank CD-Rs that I'm using. They may be incompatible with the C5's audio system. I'll try another CD-R brand and see what happens. I don't remember having this problem before and I know that I've listened to CDs from the computer burner all year with no previous problems. The only good thing about this whole scenario is I got to drive all over the area for a couple of hours in the vette while jamming and experimenting with the CD Changer. Some days life is good.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Interesting. I've heard of issues with burned CD's.... some skip more... I suspect heat can make things worse.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm currently using Memorex Cool Color CD-Rs and they are the ones that are dropping out. It's the first time that I've used this brand. I only have a few more left. I'll burn the remaining discs and play them at home or work. They just drop out in the C5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts