Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Want to see a 1972 Datsun sedan converted to electric motors beat a C6 by a full second? Pretty amazing video. the car eventually goes 11.96 sec @ 110 mph.
Maybe somebody can figure out how to embed this for me. I couldn't figure it out.

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1686

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Not much of a range on that car needing to be recharged every 1/4 mile

Once these left wing green wingers get a 10mile range on that car And all the So cal Green wingers get Ahold of this Idea, It will become "Mandatory" and we will all be driving cars like that shoe box,

All I can say, Is I hope this doesn't show up on my Tax Bill like all the other Green Idea's

Can Somebody, Get out there to that track and shut this guy up, Please

Thanks Bon :nuts:

·
Registered
798 Posts
WOW, and decent range too!!

Range: 90 miles urban, 110-120 miles highway

I want one, what a sleeper !!!!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not much of a range on that car needing to be recharged every 1/4 mile

Once these left wing green wingers get a 10mile range on that car And all the So cal Green wingers get Ahold of this Idea, It will become "Mandatory" and we will all be driving cars like that shoe box,

All I can say, Is I hope this doesn't show up on my Tax Bill like all the other Green Idea's

Can Somebody, Get out there to that track and shut this guy up, Please

Thanks Bon :nuts:
Yeah, the guy talks about how dirty those gasoline engines are. What does he think comes out of those coal or gas fired power plants - rose petals?? :crazy:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Want to see a 1972 Datsun sedan converted to electric motors beat a C6 by a full second? Pretty amazing video. the car eventually goes 11.96 sec @ 110 mph.
Maybe somebody can figure out how to embed this for me. I couldn't figure it out.

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1686
That looked like a C5 that he was racing, but either way, I wouldn't be caught dead in a datsun even if it ran 11's.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Yeah, the guy talks about how dirty those gasoline engines are. What does he think comes out of those coal or gas fired power plants - rose petals?? :crazy:
I'll say it again. I LOVE my high HP'd, gas guzzling V8. Dependence on foreign oil? C'mon dude. Get a grip:nuts:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Nothing like using a race prepped car with drag radials to take down a stock car on street tires to prove your superiority. Pro driver versus amateur probably didn't help either.

To me it looks like the typical greenie strawman argument. Set up a false argument then stack the deck in your favor when put up or shut up time comes.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Also the car weighs in at 1900lbs vs the vette at 3250lbs

Yeah if the vette had a driver with more experience and a set of drag radials tires lol

He still would have lost :laughing:

11.5 ain't half bad :nuts:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Also the car weighs in at 1900lbs vs the vette at 3250lbs

Yeah if the vette had a driver with more experience and a set of drag radials tires lol

He still would have lost :laughing:

11.5 ain't half bad :nuts:
I don't honestly believe a stock or even lightly modified C6 would keep up with that Datsun. That again leads me back to my strawman point. The Greenie set up the race for an easy win.

I do have to give him props on the mad science skills:thumbsup:

Oh the reason I say lightly modified, I would like to see the results against a blown vette. You know the ones that eat liter bikes for breakfast and dine on Lamboghini at dinner.

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
To be fair an average only 60% of the power comes from coal, the rest comes from hydroelectric, nuclear and others. Also Coal power is not as bad as it seems, the whole process is about 40% efficient (compared to 25% for a internal combustion engine) and the flue gasses are scrubbed, chemically treated and cleaned much more than what can be done by car's emissions system.

There was going to be a coal power plant built here in Linden NJ that would actually classify the coal to form hydrogen, burn the hydrogen to produce the steam then take the soilds left over from gassification and pipe it under ground 30 miles away on the sea floor. Despite not emitting any pollution into the air it was still shot down by NIMBYs calming to care about the environment.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
If you want to see a Lord of The Rings settings go to the Midwest, there is a coal powered electrical generator that has left an imprint on my kids mind.

Polluted hundreds of miles around.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be fair an average only 60% of the power comes from coal, the rest comes from hydroelectric, nuclear and others. Also Coal power is not as bad as it seems, the whole process is about 40% efficient (compared to 25% for a internal combustion engine) and the flue gasses are scrubbed, chemically treated and cleaned much more than what can be done by car's emissions system.

There was going to be a coal power plant built here in Linden NJ that would actually classify the coal to form hydrogen, burn the hydrogen to produce the steam then take the soilds left over from gassification and pipe it under ground 30 miles away on the sea floor. Despite not emitting any pollution into the air it was still shot down by NIMBYs calming to care about the environment.
According to these numbers, close to 70% comes from fossil fuels. You can scrub them all you want, but tons of CO2 and other pollutants are dumped in the air. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a price we have to pay until better technology can be developed. But electric cars do not approach being pollution-free.

Sources of electricity
in the United States

• 49.8% of electricity in the US is generated by burning coal
  • 19.9% from nuclear power, 17.9% from natural gas
  • 6.5% from hydroelectric,
  • 3% from burning petroleum
  • a paltry 2.3% from other renewable energy sources such as wind power , solar energy , geothermal power, and biomass.
Source: http://www.differentsourcesofelectricity.com/

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
According to these numbers, close to 70% comes from fossil fuels. You can scrub them all you want, but tons of CO2 and other pollutants are dumped in the air. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a price we have to pay until better technology can be developed. But electric cars do not approach being pollution-free.

Sources of electricity
in the United States

• 49.8% of electricity in the US is generated by burning coal
  • 19.9% from nuclear power, 17.9% from natural gas
  • 6.5% from hydroelectric,
  • 3% from burning petroleum
  • a paltry 2.3% from other renewable energy sources such aswind power , solar energy , geothermal power, and biomass.
Source: http://www.differentsourcesofelectricity.com/
I Never said electric cars were pollution free but that the most polluting means of generating electricity in a few large, stationary, well maintained, 40% efficient coal fired power plants with flue gas scrubbers and electrostatic precipitatiors are polluting less than millions of small, lightweight, inexpensive, low maintenance, inefficient internal combustion engines.

If Coal was the only indirect source of power for automobiles it seems very likely that there would be less overall pollution in the world than if cars provided their own power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts