Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just want to thank the ILL state police for not being around on the way home from funfest yesterday so i could run here up to 135 i was headed for 140 but my nephew slowed up in front of me . it was as solid as a rock and still pulling !YEA BABY YEA !! I WOULD NEVER DO THAT JUST KIDDING YEA RIGHT :excited: :) :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
All I can say about you two is DAMN :surprised :surprised

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Bob88con said:
All I can say about you two is DAMN :surprised :surprised
My buddy witnessed it. Imagine his surprise as is sleeping, then he trys to clear his blured vision, then seeing the GS at 140+ ... took it a second, but then got wigged out.

If it wasn't for him wigging, I think I would have gone the distance on this run.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great to hear you guys are actually using the power these cars possess.

The fastest I ever drove a car was in my 1986 Corvette Coupe while stationed in Germany in 1993 while driving south on the autobahn toward Stuttgart at 150 mph (the digital dashboard didn't move beyond 150).

You're right - that is DAMN fast! When you're moving so fast that objects in your peripheral vision are almost gray you know you're hauling azz! I should also mentioned that while driving at 150 mph, I was flashed from behind (a car was closing in on me) so I gently moved to the next lane as a burgundy Mercedez SL600 (possibly AMG) passed me doing at least 175mph.

Mike:D

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
What a wonderful feeling:thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Guess you guys don't have deer out your way. Ever see what a 150 lb buck can do to fiberglass at that speed? It's not pretty and just pray it doesn't end up in your lap cause you know it's coming up over that low front bumper. lookinup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Marty I said:
Guess you guys don't have deer out your way. Ever see what a 150 lb buck can do to fiberglass at that speed? It's not pretty and just pray it doesn't end up in your lap cause you know it's coming up over that low front bumper. lookinup:
Yep. A deer, a blown tire, road debree, a pothole.... all very bad. Death is pretty certain. It's the risk we take, I suppose.

But, when the heart is pounding, and the adrenaline pumping, sometimes logic is sucked out the driver's window.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
Yep. A deer, a blown tire, road debree, a pothole.... all very bad. Death is pretty certain. It's the risk we take, I suppose.

But, when the heart is pounding, and the adrenaline pumping, sometimes logic is sucked out the driver's window.
You did this with the windows open? Damn man! Do you realize how much parasitic drag that causes? Next time keep the windows up and the logic will bounce off the glass and land in your lap and be reabsorbed into the organs from whence it came!

:D

Ray

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
RT66Z06 said:
You did this with the windows open? Damn man! Do you realize how much parasitic drag that causes? Next time keep the windows up and the logic will bounce off the glass and land in your lap and be reabsorbed into the organs from whence it came.
Ray
Ray, it's good to have you back. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
335 Posts
AlohaC5 said:
Great to hear you guys are actually using the power these cars possess.

The fastest I ever drove a car was in my 1986 Corvette Coupe while stationed in Germany in 1993 while driving south on the autobahn toward Stuttgart at 150 mph (the digital dashboard didn't move beyond 150).

You're right - that is DAMN fast! When you're moving so fast that objects in your peripheral vision are almost gray you know you're hauling azz! I should also mentioned that while driving at 150 mph, I was flashed from behind (a car was closing in on me) so I gently moved to the next lane as a burgundy Mercedez SL600 (possibly AMG) passed me doing at least 175mph.

Mike:D
That is awesome. Going that fast is cool, but getting your doors blown off while going that fast is amazing.

That thing they call the autobuhn must be pure fun.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
basecorvette said:
That thing they call the autobuhn must be pure fun.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Actually, that thing they call the "autobuhn" is an apfel strudel designed to be eaten in the car. The Autobahn is the highway system.:D

The Autobahn and the Autostrada in Italy work because drivers in those countries yield the fast lane to faster traffic, unlike here where so many insist on excercising their constitutional right to do 55mph in the fast lane.

On the Autostrada each lane has a different minimum and maximum speed limit (in metroploitan areas where there as many as six lanes in each direction: in rural areas there are only two lanes and trucks become moving chicanes). No self respecting Italian actually obeys the maximum speed and the police could care less.

Italians are very well behaved on the Autostrada, but once you get off it and get to a traffic circle it's every man for himself. Everyone told me I would love Italy because I drive like an Italian. They were right.

In bocca a lupo!

Ray

·
Registered
19 Posts
Speed

Being a "speed nut" for years, I expect to wind mine up before it goes away for the winter. Based on my little "test" to 125, I would think 140 plus will be no problem. 150+ should be in reach. If you think or worry about a deer or road debrie, buy a car that runs 65.

My little bass boat with the 280 ran near 100. Lots more stuff to go wrong on the water than on land!

JMHO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You should have no problem whatsoever getting your C5 safely and smoothly beyond 150mph. The 1986 Coupe I had in Germany only had minor mods, i.e., Borla exhaust, aftermarket air intake, performance chip, 8.5mm plug wires, platinum plugs and thats about it. Keep in mind your tire speed rating: ZR (149+) vs. YR (186) too.

Another important factor was the fact that the roads are designed and built for speed, and the drivers there are skilled and disciplined as RT66ZO6 mentioned which made this 20-minute 150 mph drive relatively safe. This was no sprint to 150 and bring it back down to cruise speed - 150 was the cruise speed. What an experience! My wife's '93 Ford Probe GT maxed out at 138 mph and spent most of the time on cruise control at 115 to 120mph.

I lived in Italy for awhile too (Naples) in 1995 and you're right - once they get off the highway and into city traffic - it is every man for themself! I learned quick that stop signs and stop lights are really yield signs and the more expensive car has the right of way at four way intersections should you get into an accident and the police need to make a determination as to guilt (this happened to a coworker - I was lucky while living there). Crazy driving there that made for some really interesting memories....

Ich bin der höchstzulässige Geschwindigkeit!

Mike

·
Registered
662 Posts
AlohaC5 said:
My wife's '93 Ford Probe GT maxed out at 138 mph and spent most of the time on cruise control at 115 to 120mph.
Mike

Mike,

You'll appreciate this. I got an opportunity to drive the Grand Prix circuit at Monza. My wife was riding shotgun and took the photos you'll find at

http://www.rjsmith.com/italy-trip.html#monza

The link will take you to the middle of the page. Above the Monza stuff are photos of our trip to Maranello (Ferrari Museum and factory) and Firenze (mostly art, but some photos of the Autostrada).

The Italian Lotus Owners club was at the track and there were dozens of little Elise models tearing around. We got into a dice with a Bimmer and a Porsche Boxster in our little Mercedes 160. They had more torque, I late braked and hit the apexes better than they did so it was nip and tuck until they got tired of me riding their bumpers (my wife got some good photos of this) through the chicanes (variante in Italiano) and left the track. They open the circuit twice a year for Circulazione Turistica (literally "tourist laps") and we lucked out going there when we did.

From Milan to Firenze we averaged 200km/hr (a little over 120mph). This includes going through curving tunnels through the Appennine Mountains at over 100mph on the stretch from Bologna, south to Firenze. Great fun.

They have a signal to say they are staying in the fast lane: they leave their left turn signal on. It means that they are going to pass a bunch of cars before they move back into the #2 lane.

Ray

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ray,

You lucky dog!! I read the entire page and looked at all the photos. Talk about being a performance car enthusiast at the right place at the right time. Can you imagine how much fun I would have had with that ole' C4 vette?

I think thats the smallest Mercedes I've ever seen. You must have drove that BMW M3 and Porsche Boxter nutz when you hung on to their tail as often as you did. :rolling:

I prefer autocrossing to the straight quarter-mile drag strips. IMHO that takes tremendous driver skill and patience, and really pushes the Corvette to the edge of its performance envelope in so many different ways. Running in the low 10s or high 9s on the strip is very cool - don't get me wrong. However, tackling a track like that - especially with traffic - is what its all about. Makes me think of the C5-R at the 24 hrs at LeMans.

The only time I've traveled faster then when I was in Europe is when I'm flying an airplane. My cruise speed is usually around 160 mph or (139 knots) as I read it on my airspeed indicator.
:cheers:

Mike

·
Registered
662 Posts
AlohaC5 said:
I think thats the smallest Mercedes I've ever seen. You must have drove that BMW M3 and Porsche Boxter nutz when you hung on to their tail as often as you did. :rolling:

Mike
Yes, it is, and they don't sell them in the US. And, it was loaded with 6 suitcases at the time because we were drifting back north toward Malpensa. The bags acted like a G-meter in the back seat.

I ran that thing up over the rumble strips at the varianti and braked mercilessly for a little over one hour and it never complained. As my wife astutely pointed out "How many guys can say they didn't lift in Curva Grande?":D

Like most of us, I started out drag racing as a kid because it was accessible. Road Racing was much less accessible then but you could autocross. Once you race or autocross however drag racing becomes less fulfulling (drag racing is like sex, right? There's this long wait then it's over in 12 seconds?).

Ray
Piloto Maggiore

·
Registered
157 Posts
Come to visit me in Germany! Here you can do it legaly. I invite you to a trip from Nuernberg to Munich on the Autobahn. 95 miles in 39 minutes (sunday morning with low traffic).
My 99 hardtop coupe (blackwing + LS6 intake, open pipe) makes true 296km/h (184mph).
Maybe you know: The Autobahn is a public highway without speedlimit. You can go as fast as you want - legaly.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I understand that 3 lifeflight helo's are in the air at all times over the Autobahn

1 - 20 of 27 Posts