Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Could someone tell me just exactly what the benifit is in installing a 160 thermo? I always thought you needed some heat to make the motor more efficient.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There has been LOTS and LOTS of discussion about the positives and negatives of installing the 160 Deg thermostat.

Positive: the engine runs cooler since the fan control opens up sooner, which translates to additional horsepower.
Negative: this car ain't your Daddy's old corvette --- fan control is now algorithm-based within the ECM and much more complicated than a simple increase of fan speed based on measured coolant temperature.

Master mechanics have (several times and on several forums) advised against changeout to a low temperature thermostat, stating that if you want to pick up horsepower, you should look somewhere else.

They then say "... but you do what you want --- it's your car".

·
Registered
95 Posts
A 160 t-stat will not gain you horsepower BUT not let you lose horsepower due to heat soak.On my C5 Z06 I had a 160 t-stat and while just cruising it would hover around 174-178.....while on the dyno working it hard it would get no higher than 185 therefore it would not lose HP due to heat soak.I will be installing one in a couple of weeks in my C6 Z06.The new Z06's
427 gets very hot so a 160 t-stat will help it from not losing HP

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
GaryZ06 said:
A 160 t-stat will not gain you horsepower BUT not let you lose horsepower due to heat soak.On my C5 Z06 I had a 160 t-stat and while just cruising it would hover around 174-178.....while on the dyno working it hard it would get no higher than 185 therefore it would not lose HP due to heat soak.I will be installing one in a couple of weeks in my C6 Z06.The new Z06's
427 gets very hot so a 160 t-stat will help it from not losing HP
I have a very close friend who has an 05 goat which is really a vette with a metal body and swears by the fact he changed to a 160.Says the car run better ,runs cooler cause the fan comes on faster and swears in a 1/4 mile gets better times cause the car runs cooler.He also said all stats are not made equally he got his second one from SLP out of canada cause the first one was not doing the job properly.SLP is suppose to have all the high proformace goodies thats just for gmc.So when my Vette gets here finally next month if all goes well he said he would help me install a 160 in the car.:huh:

·
Registered
520 Posts
1) Can't the fan turn-on temp be adjusted w/ tune?

2) Aside from the fan coming on earlier, I don't really see the benefit. When it opens it is circulating the same whether it opens at 160* or 180* (or whatever the stock temp is)

Btw, what is it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Stock thermo is 192. Doesnt matter when the fans come on, thermo isnt going to open until 192. I know we like to tinker with our cars but this one is probably better left alone. Just my humble opinion

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Ogolden1 said:
1) Can't the fan turn-on temp be adjusted w/ tune?

2) Aside from the fan coming on earlier, I don't really see the benefit. When it opens it is circulating the same whether it opens at 160* or 180* (or whatever the stock temp is)

Btw, what is it?
All i can tell you is what my buddy swears to me.He says that with the 190 stat in, the tempture gauage gets up to mid way and stays there all threw his runs at the strip,now he races his goat all the time.he says when he put the 160 in the tempture gauge never gets to mid way so he knows the motor is running cooler and as a result of it running cooler the goat runs faster.His words are " 365 hates hot temptures and as far as he's concerned 190 is to hot and i have the slips to prove it".now having opened that can of worms i am sure the engineers at Corvette have a reason for a 190 but you can't explain that to my buddy.:huh: :huh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
on some other cars a low temp thermostat can cause drivability problems. sometimes the thermostats open soon enough that the motor starts to run in cold start mode and this affects idle and other closed loop fuel trims.

this is definitely a great idea on a race only car as you don't have to worry about drivability and it will keep things cooler and safer. i'm not sure about specifics on a c6 z06.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts