Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the congestion of Chicago freeways to the erotically-polluted strip of Las Vegas, the EVS Chevrolet “DC C6” has put rubber to reality. This ‘Vette stands a little bit taller today because it knows that it’s been places that most Corvettes will only dream of. Whether it be the Utah snow, the Iowa tornado, the Nevada sunburn, the Colorado mountain scenery or the New Mexico off-road construction sites; our EVS Chevrolet “DC C6” has met and conquered it.

Let’s start with the basics here… the DC C6 is a 6-speed 2007 model with the Z51 performance package which includes a stiffer suspension, performance gear ratios, cross-drilled brake rotors and extra cooling systems to complete the overall package. Sure, it’s got the commanding presence like that of Marlon Brando but the story doesn’t stop here. No, not a chance. See, what makes the DC C6 a true winner is what it offers from the inside; complete comfort, ease of operation and a phenomenal driving experience. Need to run to store? No problem. Want to head out of town for a few days to visit family? Let’s go! Need to impress your buddies with a 0 to, ah… (speed limit) run? Done and done. The DC C6 is by all means a prowler in hunt. It will move smooth and sleek for as long as you need it to but when it’s time to pounce make sure you’re aiming towards safe pavement.

Behind those edgy bodylines, track-developed chassis and mighty 6-liter engine, the DC C6 is, at heart, a warhorse. You’ll never hear it complain when you’re stuck in Salt Lake City rush-hour traffic nor will you hear it whimper when you’re stretching its legs for long paces across Oklahoma. The DC C6 has literally experienced a lifetime of road conditions and it never batted an eye at the challenge; making the driver the only limiting factor. Honestly, I had no clue what the DC C6 was going to be like in the rain at highway speeds and I truly anticipated a worse experience while inching through Chicago. Every mile of every day I found myself assuming bad times ahead only to have the C6 return with the best.

I’ve learned a lot about this platform while living out of the EVS C6 for the last 18 days. First off, I learned that I should have gotten instructions on how to use all the electronic gizmos straight from Rick Conti instead of Patrick. I basically felt my way through the car as needed and when I discovered the lumbar controls in the leather seats, the entire journey was revamped. Not only could I set the bucket seats to contour me like a glove but I also devised a way to move the controls really fast in order to act like a personal massager. Ah, now that’s living.

While the DC C6 was the designated pack mule for clothes, cameras, gorilla tape and Power Aid, we never had a problem getting around the track for the next event. Where keyless entry earned its keep when my arms were loaded up with equipment, bags and gas station food it was the climate control that proved to be a bare necessity. Throughout the 10,000 mile trek temperatures ranged from 28* to 85*. One day we had the air conditioning on to keep us from melting at O’Reilly Raceway Park and another we’re blasting the heat in Colorado. It sure was hilarious soaking in all those experiences as they fell upon us and it was a blessing not having to worry about how we were going to cope.

The DC C6 had its work cut out to impress a diehard C4 owner like myself. I tend to enjoy a more bare-bones driving experience that older cars have. There's nothing bare about the C6, its packing decades of technology, comforts and know-how. Even with that fundamental difference at hand, the DC C6 never once apologized for delivering its wallop with the sly dexterity of a double 0 agent. The comfort and ease allowed my brain to rest a bit during day-long drives but it did take some throttle blips to remind me that I wasn’t in a Caddy. My green clutch foot took a few days to get used to the sensitive clutch-action of the C6. Unlike the C5, this clutch has a very small band of useable play and since the stock exhaust is so quiet, you really had to keep your eyes glued to the tachometer for feedback. Once I got the feel for it, I was rewarded with butter smooth moves and incredibly precise gear shifts. We did note an ever-present squeak from the targa top but being on the run we couldn’t devote any time to figuring it out.

One of the most impeccable observations from the DC C6 was the gas mileage. Averaging over 27mpg for the entire 10,000 mile trip which included lots of long highway runs, numerous hair-yanking standstills in traffic, s-l-o-w shuffles through the “quota meeting” Mid West small towns and of course the nightly hours spent on hairpin back roads dodging aliens and kamikaze wildlife. Experiencing the DC C6 in the way that I did has brought me to one solid conclusion… the stresses of life mean very little when you’re cruising the C6 into a brilliant sunset. You C6 owners have got it made with the best of several driving worlds all wrapped in one big fiberglass giftbox. For those shopping the market, the answer is in this thread.

Tough to summarize what an enjoyable time flocking across the country with an enthusiastic Corvette caravan to Spring Mountain Racetrack in Pahrump, Nevada was. Such a unique opportunity to jump head first into the One Lap of America Cannonball as the "camera car". Let’s face it… none of us were fully prepared for what awaited us. However, there was only one constant for us during the trips and it was our Corvette. EVS Chevrolet definitely picked out DigitalCorvettes.com a thoroughbred with that Le Mans Blue C6.

The DC community was well-represented by the presence and performance of our DC C6. What a great car, and we'll enjoy doing things with it for years to come, but I'm keeping the keys far from Patrick.

Thanks for the great deal and incredible support from Rick Conti and EVS Chevrolet. We have some funny video of Patrick picking up the car from EVS Chevrolet, can't wait to get it edited down.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
:agree: ^

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sounds like no one had any fun then. And when will the DC C6 make it's East Coast debut?:partyon:

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
I would like to add prior to getting some real seat time in that car I wasn't overly impressed with the C-6 but I only have 2 complainants about the car.
1) The drivers left seat bolster on the bottom of the seat was killling my leg (keep in mind I had been driving and in a car for 6 days straight)
2) The top creaking was driving me nuts.

As for the pros of the car I just hope Dan doesn't release the tape of me driving, Conti might not like me so much.:laughing:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Excellent write up, Dan!

The test drive I took in an '05 C6 confirms what you've written. Each generation has its own unique way of approaching whatever it is that a "sports car" should be.

Steven

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,901 Posts
Been west, going east, what about south? With that many miles, its a good thimg the seats are comfortable

·
Registered
754 Posts
Nice !! :partyon:

Great review:
the stresses of life mean very little when you’re cruising the C6 into a brilliant sunset.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :agree:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'd take one.... Not to replace the Z - but to join the Z....I just thought of something...Patrick beat me to it...:partyon:

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
Thats a great write up Dan :thumbsup:
and it's good to know that you're the one driving it.
Don't get me wrong, Patrick is a very focused and determined individual, and he's gonna make that Z pay for it :laughing:

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
What a great write up Dan. That has to be the greatest way to "break-in" a new Corvette....cross country.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
4,825 Posts
Great writeup...it almost seemed like we were there with you :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Great report! Definitely gives a first hand spin on life in a C6.

Maybe it's time for EVS to offer the "DC package" as an option. (Of course, that would probably mean that the car would be delivered to you dirty!!) :laughing:

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
And I have to point out that we wouldn't have this car if it wasn't for the utterly flattering deal EVS and Rick Conti gave us.

I can't wait to get the graphics on this car, gonna be coooooool.:partyon:

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe it's time for EVS to offer the "DC package" as an option. (Of course, that would probably mean that the car would be delivered to you dirty!!)
Guilty.

I call that.... "experience" and the DC C6 was covered in experience after these two amazing trips. My avatar came to be simply because I laughed up everytime a One Lap racer brought his Viper, BMW or Porsche off the track and went straight for the hose.

But I'll tell ya what, she shines like a gem when it's all cleaned up! The LeMans Blue almost has a hint of deep purple to it at certain angles. Really grabs you eye, day or night. With that said, the C6 is real driver's car. There's no time for parking in a garage just to be looked at like some piece of art. The C6 thrives off being driven.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts