Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!! I have a stock 1979 corvette.
From what I have read on here, I am safe going with 18" x 8 wheels with 4" backspacing, without running into any problems, right??
But now I need to know what size tires to put on without moving anything (besides the e-brake mount) and no rubbing? Any help??

·
Registered
855 Posts
you can go with a 245/45/18....that will keep your rolling tire diameter the same size as a 255/60/15 which is what I currently have on my 69 vette for fronts & rears. The 245/45/18 size will work in the front & rear. I just recieved my new wheels and will be installing them this weekend and went with the following setup on my 69...

Front 18x8 with 4" BS 245/45/18
Rear 18x10 with 5.5" BS 275/40/18

It is not widely known, but you really only need offset trailing arms if you are running like 17" or smaller wheels in the rear. The stock trailing arms actually do have clearance to run at least 18" wheels in the 18x10 configuration and should not be a problem with 18x8. There has been success using stock trailing arms with my wheel/tire size combo and no problems except for as you say relocate the parking brake, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
you can go with a 245/45/18....that will keep your rolling tire diameter the same size as a 255/60/15 which is what I currently have on my 69 vette for fronts & rears. The 245/45/18 size will work in the front & rear. I just recieved my new wheels and will be installing them this weekend and went with the following setup on my 69...

Front 18x8 with 4" BS 245/45/18
Rear 18x10 with 5.5" BS 275/40/18

It is not widely known, but you really only need offset trailing arms if you are running like 17" or smaller wheels in the rear. The stock trailing arms actually do have clearance to run at least 18" wheels in the 18x10 configuration and should not be a problem with 18x8. There has been success using stock trailing arms with my wheel/tire size combo and no problems except for as you say relocate the parking brake, etc.
Would you mind posting some photos of your car once you have the new rims / tires installed? I'd love to see how the 18" x 10" look on a stock bodied '69. I have a '69 that I hope to get new rims and tires for one day and I may get the same set-up if they work out on your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did it work out for you?

I know this is a long way down the road since your original post, but I was recently able to find my dream '69 vette and am looking at the same kinds of upgrades. After doing some net searches, I found this post and was wondering how things have gone for you with this size wheel and tire? If you have any pics that would be great as well. Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have 255/45/18's on 18 x 8" which gives a rolling diameter of 27.2" (If I remember correctly) and the same height as the stock 68/69 tyres.
Rears are 285/40/18 on 18 x 9 with 5" backspace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts