Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I just want to say that this is not a numbers matching car. Now that that is out of the way, Right before hurricane Irma hit we had this beautiful 1957 corvette come to us. As we locked up for the storm I took this selfie with the car..

I shouldn't have to tell anyone what Irma did to South Florida, but thankfully VetteXperts was not damaged in the storm and after things got back to normal we were able to start turning this 1957 roadster into a driveable machine. Under the hood we have dual quads on a 283..

From an engine performance point of view, the dual quads aren't so attractive these days as they are from a time when large bore carbs weren't really available. But now that you can get carbs over 1,000cfm there is no real benefit to 2 carbs. And I think that is why it is rare to see these setups today. Anyways, so here we are most of the way through the teardown and ready to remove that tired 283..

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
hmm on the fence about this. 57 is a dream car and dual carbs on a small block makes it a dream that makes me feel funny in my pants. On the other hand a 57 with a modern drivetrain and daily drive ability would be amazing.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While the engine is out we made progress on the vintage air install. There is no vintage air kit for 1957 but there is for later c1's. So we had to make this work..

There is also power brakes, disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, power steering, a steering column, dewitts radiator and a bunch of other stuff going in this machine. Oh and a new clutch and flywheel..

Centerforce..

And we aren't rebuilding the 283. It is not original to the car so there is no love loss. we are dropping in a 350 from jasper..

And because the 1957 has an x frame we are dropping in the engine and trans together as an assembly..

Plenty of room..

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the way up to this point right here is straight forward cut and dry, this is how these pieces go together..

From here on in all is subjective. Where do the wires run? Wherever I want them to. And the same for hose routing and electrical center placement and shape. Here is my hot mess in the name of creativity..

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am almost done under the hood. I still need to mount the power steering reservoir and setup belts. But the electrical is done and the a/c and cooling systems are complete and ready to be filled. Here is where we are at the end of the work week..

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,394 Posts
Nice weeks work. It ought to have awesome driveability but there is something cool about those old-school 2/4's setups

1 - 7 of 7 Posts