Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Corvettes and just looked at a 69 427/400 4 speed car. Any information anyone can give me in helping me figure out if car is #'s matching would be appreciated. I know it currently does not have the correct intake/carbs. Body need work, interior is okay. Also has factory AC, I am told this is kind of rare. Any info/help would be appreciated. Also, what is an approximate value of this car in a driver condition needing resto. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone ? Don't want to make a mistake and overpay for this car or find out it's not a numbers car later.

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
You would need to find the numbers on the engine block and check the casting dates. I would have someone who is knowledgeable to go with you. What part of the country are you in? I am sure that someone from DC would love to go with you and check it out. It can be overwhelming. Is this your first experience with Corvettes?

PS Welcome to DC!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Yes, definitely find someone knowledgable to go with you. Someone who is VERY critical, and can make a laundry list of problems. At the least, you'll be well educated about the car. And, hopefully be in a better position to negotiate.

It's hard to pin a price tag on the car, because condition varies so greatly. Plus, there is no verification that the car is original. But, whatever work it needs expect to pay double what you think it will cost. Check out the frame for damage and dry parts for rot. Be realistic about what the car needs.

Are you going to drive this car or restore it? Nice motor.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to restore it and keep it. Definitely a nice piece, especialy with the big block and 4 speed. From what I gather the 400 horsepower 427's should have three deuces on top. This car has a single holley. I found a site that has what most casting/production #'s/codes should be so I have that info. I would think this should be a 4 bolt block, anyway to tell this externally ? Thanks, Chris.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Your casting number for the block should be on the rear of the engine on the drivers side. There is a ledge that sticks out just where the head mates to the block, the number should be on that ledge. :)

The number should have 6,7 or 8 digits, block casting numbers do not have any letters in them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts