Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 corvette and it will never be a stock set up. I am customizing it but it has a 350 in it now with a soon to be 383. The radiator support was rusted out and the radiator a mess. I plan on going aluminum with electric fans but here lies the question. I keep seeing BB radiator or SB radiator support on the products description. What is the difference? Can I use a BB radiator set up for the 350 engine? A BB core support for a SB radiator? Any help would be great since I can not nail down the difference's or find info to explain it. Yes I am a noob but willing to learn. Thank you guys.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Setting the BB radiator in is not a deal. All you need for that is the rubber cushions the radiator mounts in. The problem is the hoses. BB hoses are bigger and the SB hose just won't go on the radiator without some "creative" engineering. Like having a shop install SB necks. Since you're looking at electric fans, I'd talk to DeWitt's. They have a fan/radiator setup that looks great and works even better. I know a couple of guys that have them in front of their 383's, never any heat problems.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Some of the changes from SB to BB are: There is a block off panel restricting the opening for an aluminum rad, the BB had a wider opening. Also the mounting system, SB alum. uses two lower pins and one upper center mount. BB and AC or auto SB used 4 corner mounting points with rubber pads.
DeWitts makes a BB size alum. rad with the small block two pin, center top mount set up.
If you had a good SB support, you could open it up to use the wider rad, but if you need to replace it any way, get the BB style and go with thw wider rad (assuming you had a SB alum. rad to start with).
I would guess that DeWitts also has the larger rads. with SB sized hose connections.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The 69 BB radiator support had a larger opening than the standard small block since the radiators were bigger (wider). Mounting brackets are also different.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info. Thank you all. I will call Dewitts and check on the best set up. Since I need a radiator+core support and fans I figure they can guide me to the correct support frame for the radiator they have. .. Man Dewitts set up ain't cheep..geeesh. But you get what you pay for, right? Will look for options before I make final choice. Finishing up my head light rebuild + Killer lights electric conversion, so I have a weekend to research radiator options. Any further info is humbly appreciated.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I just bought a dewitts radiator,its beautiful.I have a 69 sb with a 26 inch radiator,tell them you want a radiator for the 69 vette with a l46 engine,its a bigger radiator then the other sb radiators,its bigger,like a big block radiator except it fits the inlets and outlets. Bill

·
Registered
676 Posts
Bill,

Do you have the DeWitt part # for that?

I believe there are 3 different core supports for the 69-72:
#1 SB - manual trans no A/C, used aluminum radiator with 18" apart pins and round metal shroud
#2 SB - auto trans or A/C, used copper/brass radiator with 26" apart brackets and fiberglass shroud
#3 BB - used copper/brass radiator with 27" apart brackets and fiberglass shroud

Are you saying DeWitts has a 26" radiator that uses the 18" pin mounts?

Or rather is it that it's the same width radiator as the big block used but uses the 26" wide supports instead of the 27" and the inlets/outlets match up for a SB. The inlets/outlets for a BB I'm (pretty) sure are different from a SB so they're positioned at different angles.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Bill,

Do you have the DeWitt part # for that?

I believe there are 3 different core supports for the 69-72:
#1 SB - manual trans no A/C, used aluminum radiator with 18" apart pins and round metal shroud
#2 SB - auto trans or A/C, used copper/brass radiator with 26" apart brackets and fiberglass shroud
#3 BB - used copper/brass radiator with 27" apart brackets and fiberglass shroud

Are you saying DeWitts has a 26" radiator that uses the 18" pin mounts?

Or rather is it that it's the same width radiator as the big block used but uses the 26" wide supports instead of the 27" and the inlets/outlets match up for a SB. The inlets/outlets for a BB I'm (pretty) sure are different from a SB so they're positioned at different angles.
Her you go Part# a70m for manual trans and a70a for auto trans. Its like a big block radiator but it fits sbc , Talk to dewitts about it.This radiator i believe only came in L46 vettes.or not:D My car is manual trans and had air conditioning.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Her you go Part# a70m for manual trans and a70a for auto trans. Its like a big block radiator but it fits sbc , Talk to dewitts about it.This radiator i believe only came in L46 vettes.or not:D My car is manual trans and had air conditioning.
I looked, it's just the #2 option with 26" copper/brass aluminum replacement that should be the exact size of the one Diehard69 has in his that's made for the SB automatic trans or A/C loaded cars. I don't think there's a lot of difference in radiators between options #2 and #3 as far as cooling capability. Option #1, what I have in mine that I'm replacing, is a fair bit smaller than 2 or 3.

I thought you meant there was some unknown radiator they had that fit the #1 option core support but was wider.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I looked, it's just the #2 option with 26" copper/brass aluminum replacement that should be the exact size of the one Diehard69 has in his that's made for the SB automatic trans or A/C loaded cars. I don't think there's a lot of difference in radiators between options #2 and #3 as far as cooling capability. Option #1, what I have in mine that I'm replacing, is a fair bit smaller than 2 or 3.

I thought you meant there was some unknown radiator they had that fit the #1 option core support but was wider.
The one that is mine is like a big block,no difference except the inlet and outlet.Its much bigger then the regular small block radiator.I guess it was for the higher hp and ac.plus it has a better cooling compassity ,due to dewitts 1 inch veins.This radiator is the one you would want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts