Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

41 - 60 of 754 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Incremental progress, but progress at least

Today I worked on the fuel system, installed a regulator, fuel filter, and connected it all up. Doesn't sound like much, I was careful to keep hard lines as long as possible, make the filter serviceable and keep lines out of the way of as much heat as possible.

I also worked on connecting the power steering lines. High and low pressure lines routed and connected. Tomorrow if time allows I will be working on the emergency brake connections. Another one of those projects that shows little in terms of the overall build but must be done.

On a side note I have also started the process of removal of the stock components from the body. Vacuum system, engine compartment electrical, wiper linkages, steering column, etc. Grimy work, not fun but necessary, then I get to wash, scrape and scrub the engine compartment, what fun!

First photo is the fuel filter mount.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Progress yes, dramatic no........... alas it had to get done.

This weekend was a rather boring one in terms of project progress. The corvette 6.7" power steering pulley had tight a arm clearance so choose to go with smaller truck unit. Trouble is the Corvette pump shaft is close to 5/8" while the truck unit is 3/4". So did some careful measuring with micrometers and made a sleeve to reduce the inner diameter of the small pulley. If anyone wants or needs to do this I can send a drawing of the bushing with dimensions and instructions.

Anyway, here is a photo of the small pulley installed on the Corvette power steering pump with sleeve in place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Exaust fitting

I also have done a fair amount of exhaust fitting. Adapting a Pypes Corvette exhaust over to the aftermarket frame. Most pieces are pretty close. Still I did have to do some cuts and welds to make it all fit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Emergency brake blues.......

Stock exhaust didn't have a crossover pipe, so the emergency brake didn't have a height issue to raise over the x over pipe. Well this one does, and I had to raise the emergency brake pulley approximately 2" to clear the x over pipe. This was helped by a bolt on emergency brake bracket supplied from Street Shop. After modification is clears the x over nicely.
See previous photo.

I complete the rear hanger brackets for the exhaust and mount the emergency brake cables into mounts on the frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Time to tear it down

Removed quite a bit from the engine compartment, wire harness, vacuum harness, brake booster and master cylinder. Also the vacuum tank, steering column and radiator.

I got started on the WSW system but still have the WSW motor, vacuum valves and switches to remove. Adding a later model long hood sure becomes attractive when you consider all that has to function correctly for the panel to raise and wipers to work.

I always thought this part of the car was cool but I dunno, is it worth it? :huh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
More tear down

More parts removals on the inside as well. Steering Column, front dash panels, console, emergency brake mechanism and gauges.

Gauges are off to Florida to be rebuilt and updated this week. Changing to a 200 MPH Speedo, 8000 RPM Tach with 7000 red line, also adding a fuel pressure gauge in place of the clock.
These will all have the appearance and fit of the original gauges. I will post photo when I get them back.

Back to work................ :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
More tear down

Still working on getting the old girl disassembled. Dash harness, heater box, WSW motor, limit switch, vacuum actuator and some electrical parts removed.

I also finished up the emergency brake cables and the exhaust welding on the new chassis. Nothing fun this week or dramatic enough to photograph.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Still working on getting the old girl disassembled. Dash harness, heater box, WSW motor, limit switch, vacuum actuator and some electrical parts removed.

I also finished up the emergency brake cables and the exhaust welding on the new chassis. Nothing fun this week or dramatic enough to photograph.
definitely a thread i'll be following ;)

i just sent you a PM on how to get larger images on to the post with more than 1 image per post ;) :thumbsup:

i'm excited to get my exhaust/harness/gauges soon, hopefully i'll be done with my simple ls1/t56/interior mods conversion by spring so that i can drive the car :) :cheers:

any idea how long you think this conversion will take? mine's been a little over a year now but that's because for the past year, i've had a new job and been moving up slowly, barely any time for the corvette lol.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks!

I'll see if I can figure out the photos. The thumbnails in the post expand to full size if you double click on them. Or at least they do for me, using Firefox.

It is hard to say when it will be done. I still have a ton of work to do but so far the project is moving along at a good pace. I expect to be driving this beast next spring or summer if life doesn't throw me one of her mach one curves.

Your project sounds nice, I was unable to access the web site link to take a look see. Who is doing your gauges?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Working on it just not to visible.

I've been working on the wiring. I need to integrate the new harness with the old. The engine and engine controls are pretty much self contained in the harness that comes with the engine. Lights, wipers, gauges are not...... so have to figure out the best way to combine them.

For me this means documentation, I have been documenting the existing harness. Example below. Next I will integrate the engine into the existing harness at points where it makes the most sense.

I have also been doing dis-assembly work on the body and interior. Should finish that up over the long Thanksgiving weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
might be a good time to put your headlights, windows, and door locks on relays. I got tired of replacing switches in my '82, so I made this a priority on my '72.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Wiring Relays

Suprjames, thanks for a great suggestion. It took all of about 10 seconds for the implications to sink in. :thumbsup:

I had planned on doing the electric fans with relays so the headlights will be an easy addition. Haven't looked over the P/W harness yet, plan to do that this weekend.

Thanks again. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Rip and Tear

Dis-assembly in full swing, heater core out, seats out, carpet out, window harnesses out, rear light harness out, vacuum system out........

I also set aside some of the critical parts to be restored. I was surprised to discover many of the original parts I thought were missing. All in all a good weekends work.

I also completed pulling the speedometer and tach can, cleaned them up and made them ready to refinish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Deconstruction almost done.

Got most the rest of the interior out today, dash panel, trim around inside of windshield, old sound suppression, firewall insulation, gas pedal, brake and clutch pedal assembly removed. Also got the shop vac in there to clean it up after scraping off a ton of the factory yellow glue. I also got the door panels stripped of trim, the clutch/brake pedal assembly torn down and parts ordered.

Another week or two and it will be time to have the guys over to assist (in beer drinking) and moving the body onto the new frame. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Nice progress, Is this a trail fit when sitting the body? Just asking, I was not sure if the under body was being cleaned up and sprayed before it's final resting onto the frame.

Riggs.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Body on frame.

The body is still bolted to the stock frame. I believe everything else is loose. I still want to remove the front bumper & radiator support mounts, but it is very close to coming off the frame.

Once the body is off the stock frame I will remove the frame from the dolly and place the body back on. Once I have the body only on the dolly I will clean up the underside. Hadn't thought much about painting the underside. I do plan on painting the engine compartment, heat shields and any other underside components.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 754 Posts