Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A key member of a Miami-based marijuana-smuggling ring was arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service on Thursday, more than 31 years after skipping out of a federal trial.

Mark Steven Phillips, 62, was arrested in his apartment at Century Village, a seniors community where he had been living in recent months, according to a press release by the U.S. Marshals Service.

Along with 13 others, Phillips was charged in May 1979 in what was then the country's largest marijuana importation prosecution in history. The ring, known as the "Black Tuna Gang," derived its name from the radio moniker for the group's Colombian source for marijuana.

Phillips, who faces sentencing for a racketeering conviction and adjudication of fugitive charges, told U.S. Magistrate Edwin Torres that he has no property, $600 in a bank account and receives $667 in monthly Social Security benefits, the Miami Herald reported.

According to the U.S. Marshals Service, Phillips was sleeping when deputies went to his apartment on Monday and was told the "judge wants to see you, Mark" by the lead deputy marshal.

"The judge wants to see me from 30 years ago," Phillips replied.

Authorities estimate that the ring smuggled 500 tons of marijuana into the U.S. in the mid-'70s

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I guess he didn't invest his profits too well.

:laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
What a waste of funds and man power...

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Good to see that one can still collect social security...even from drug smuggling. :laughing:

...well at least now social security will save $667 dollars a month...except we'll have to pay $50k to incarcerate this bozo for the rest of his life, and he'll now get free ObamaCare for life...not a bad deal for him.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to see that one can still collect social security...even from drug smuggling. :laughing:
I would suggest if you are a convicted Federal felon, you do not register your name with Social Security to collect 1/3 of the max SS stipend.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
476 Posts
i wonder how much they invested into finding this one little old man? sure he committed a crime in the past but dont ya think their efforts would be better spent on tracking down those who are currently bringing weed, cocaine or building meth labs?. The old guy was probably having a nice day lawn bowling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts