Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys,
Was just wondering how many of you guys have replaced original bumpers with the new true flex replacement bumper that are available aftermarket out there? I have purchased both front and rear and was wondering how much trouble you guys have had putting them on. This vette has been wreck up at the drivers side front end at one time because the upper fender bumper support was missing and it was just filled with fiberglass. I have cut most of the replaced fiberglass away and installed the bumper reinforcement that it was missing. Was wondering if anyone had any tricks to to match the contour shape where the bumper meets the top fender/ front fender?

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
sorry man the three people i know in columbus with C3's are all original bodies..soryr i can't hlep out :) rudy might be able to tell you some tricks

·
Registered
746 Posts
mytoy74 said:
Howdy guys,
Was just wondering how many of you guys have replaced original bumpers with the new true flex replacement bumper that are available aftermarket out there? I have purchased both front and rear and was wondering how much trouble you guys have had putting them on. This vette has been wreck up at the drivers side front end at one time because the upper fender bumper support was missing and it was just filled with fiberglass. I have cut most of the replaced fiberglass away and installed the bumper reinforcement that it was missing. Was wondering if anyone had any tricks to to match the contour shape where the bumper meets the top fender/ front fender?
I had a similiar problem but went with the fiberglas bumper so I could match contours with bondo. A think coat but still bondo. I removed the paint about 3 inches back from the front clip and also on the bumper I roughed up the gel coat. Then with a plastic applicator I put a light coat over the seam about 2 inches onto the front clip and also onto the bumper. I then took a razor blade and drew it alot the seam in the wet bondo. I let it set up overnight then the next day power sanded, rebondod, cut with a razor, let it set etc etc until I was happy with the perfect fit.
Then I unbolted the bumper and it came right off because of the razor cut , sanded the parting line lightly, painted both seperately and installed . It came out a perfect seam. Took a little work but it was perfect.
I don't see how a true flex could be bondod over and not crack later.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Re: Re: 1974 bumper replacements?

norvalwilhel said:
I had a similiar problem but went with the fiberglas bumper so I could match contours with bondo. A think coat but still bondo. I removed the paint about 3 inches back from the front clip and also on the bumper I roughed up the gel coat. Then with a plastic applicator I put a light coat over the seam about 2 inches onto the front clip and also onto the bumper. I then took a razor blade and drew it alot the seam in the wet bondo. I let it set up overnight then the next day power sanded, rebondod, cut with a razor, let it set etc etc until I was happy with the perfect fit.
Then I unbolted the bumper and it came right off because of the razor cut , sanded the parting line lightly, painted both seperately and installed . It came out a perfect seam. Took a little work but it was perfect.
I don't see how a true flex could be bondod over and not crack later.
That was a genius solution! :partyon:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts