Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Ended up putting it on the passenger side floor behind pocket map area...put it up there as much as I could. Also located fuse block next to it. Will make passengers squeeze their legs in a bit but who cares I'm building her for passengers!

Also, you mentioned you wanted some electrical details...anything in particular I can help you out with? I pretty much know where every sensor is like the back of my hand. If you are starting from scratch I recommend you call Jody at Vettaid and have him build you a harness with all the bells and whistles. Cost wise ends up being same thing as buying a stand-alone and then adding fuse block for fans, connectors for gauges, etc. New gauge setup from Vettaid is like $1000 by the way...still cheaper and easier than doing it yourself. Each gauge is like $250! I basically had Jody take my stand-alone harness and combine it with new OEM ac/heater controls and make custom connections for my gauge setup. All simple plug-n-play.
Anything wrong with using the the factory analog gauges? I can see the speedo being a mini project, but it seems like the temp, oil press, batt voltage, tach etc.. would work off regular analog sensors. I guess you'd end up with redundant sensors everywhere though as the ecm needs info from the same? I'm checking out vettaid... Thanks

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Loving this thread too...about to dive into the same project.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Anything wrong with using the the factory analog gauges? I can see the speedo being a mini project, but it seems like the temp, oil press, batt voltage, tach etc.. would work off regular analog sensors. I guess you'd end up with redundant sensors everywhere though as the ecm needs info from the same? I'm checking out vettaid... Thanks
You can use a Cable-X box to drive the speedometer. The tach signal needs to be reprogrammed to read correctly but works with the electric tach. I installed my 72 tach face onto a 75 tach back end to keep the original look. Oil pressure - either mechanical or electric - can be tapped off the fitting above the oil filter. For temp you are better off mounting the stock temp sensor in a radiator or heater hose line rather than trying to find a LS-type sensor with a resistance curve that matches the old sensors. I didn't do anything to the amp gauge - it just worked.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
All your questions can be answered by Vettaid but for the most part you can use analog sensors. You will just need to tap into the engine for your temp sensors. My coolant sensor is on the passenger side head...there is a small port there that you can tap. I used the area above the oil filter to tap and put oil temp sensor. Oil pressure is behind intake. As for the speedo are you going 4L60E or sticking with C3 tranny? If using 4L60e your options are cablex or you can get a compatible tailhousing. Not too sure about the tach signal though because there really isn't a place to install sensor for that. I'll try and find some pics for all the above mentioned.

You will also need a TCC Brake Switch wired in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
BTW, after checking compression and monitoring coolant level I am thinking I don't need rebuild after all. After a lot of reading I realized LS1's have PCV issues. I think upgrading PCV system should remedy the smoke problem. The engine sounds like a champ so I am really hoping this does trick. Will test drive next week...once new tranny dipstick arrives and gets installed.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
BTW, after checking compression and monitoring coolant level I am thinking I don't need rebuild after all. After a lot of reading I realized LS1's have PCV issues. I think upgrading PCV system should remedy the smoke problem. The engine sounds like a champ so I am really hoping this does trick. Will test drive next week...once new tranny dipstick arrives and gets installed.
Hey that's great news!!
I was feeling your pain! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
All your questions can be answered by Vettaid but for the most part you can use analog sensors. You will just need to tap into the engine for your temp sensors. My coolant sensor is on the passenger side head...there is a small port there that you can tap. I used the area above the oil filter to tap and put oil temp sensor. Oil pressure is behind intake. As for the speedo are you going 4L60E or sticking with C3 tranny? If using 4L60e your options are cablex or you can get a compatible tailhousing. Not too sure about the tach signal though because there really isn't a place to install sensor for that. I'll try and find some pics for all the above mentioned.

You will also need a TCC Brake Switch wired in.
Using T56 six speed manual. Really like the old school dial faces. Also need to save some bucks where possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Using T56 six speed manual. Really like the old school dial faces. Also need to save some bucks where possible.
Yeah I do to. I am a bit regretful that I didn't keep the old-school look or at least stick to black face gauges. Too late now.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts