Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my Dad's 1977 back on the road. It has a quadrajet with a crate engine (circa 1985). The new engine has around 12000 miles, the carb was rebuilt at the time. When the secondaries open, the car doesn't pull any harder than just the primaries. It sounds like it should, but the power just isn't there. The car just had a tune up (plugs, wires, fuel filter, rotor, cap)

I noticed a rebuild kit from Ecklers for around $40, in the description, it says the rebuild kit is designed to operate with current oxygenated fuels. Would this solve my problem? Is a carb difficult to rebuild? The kit comes with instructions.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just a slew of educated guesses to make here.
I suggest starting here, since you feel it's carb related.
Maybe the secondaries aren't opening. Pop the air cleaner off & have someone depress gas pedal to the floor.
Tip the Q-jet secondary air valves open and observe. The throttle blades in the primary & secondary bores should be vertical @ W.O.T.
Be sure engine is warm, as the choke can provide a 'secondary lock-out' feature.
:cheers:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Depending on the crate engine, there just might not be a lot of extra power in the secondaries. Original L48s are certainly that way.

If the carb has otherwise good manners, try tuning the secondary opening point. It's a grub screw facing downward on the secondary linkage, passenger side top. You may have to remove the carb to spot it the first time. Tiny little sucker.

Much of the love-hate relationship with the "quadra-bog" is people not knowing that screw is there. The screw is super sensitive. Take a test drive, adjust ten times. You may start to like the carburetor.

good luck

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Is there a pix available for that screw????

To Slow and Leaky,

Would you happen to have a pix of that grub screw???? I have a 78 SA with L-48 and it may be very useful knowing exactly that little screw is for future adjustments.

Thanks,

mk's 78

1 - 5 of 5 Posts