Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '77 that sits lopsided. The passenger side sits 1/2" higher at the front wheelwell and 3/4" higher at the rear wheelwell (measured on flat slab from slab to top of wheelwell above the tire). Any ideas why? Car has no known frame damage, it was my Dad's car since 1981. Is there and adjustment to level the car, such as the bolts on a C5/C6? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I would like to know to so as I do the body work I can correct the problem before it becomes a real issue.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yours sits like that too??

·
Registered
267 Posts
You can adjust the rear spring, the front is not adjustable as far as I know. Has there been any front end work done to the car? I just finished restoring my front end and one of the springs didn't seat properly and the front end was off. I adjusted the spring and all is good now.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No front end work that I know of. It's been in my Dad's garage and not driven for 15 years. It needs an alignment, pulls slightly right, but the ride height has been on my nerves. I see the ride height can be adjusted with a longer bolt... i'll do that, but I'm wondering how to adjust the front without cutting a spring. Anyone know of a kit for the front end?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I forgot to mention body mounts. Could the body be offset on the frame. Measure the frame height on each side, my body mounts are OK but I've seen some that are dry rotted.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mine has had all new front and rear suspension, but this problem exsisted before the work was done. The reason I did most of the work was to correct the very problem that still exsist and the old parts were beyond shot they were past dangerous:surprised I think my body mounts are shot but would like anyones input who have had this problem before so that I can fix it properly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine was the same! suspension old and tired. The drivers side has a lot going on. (Weight wise) Driver, steering, battery. I know what you mean about annoying though. I couldn't stop looking at mine.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked at it from the rear, the drivers' side rear wheel is waaay off in camber... is this an alighment adjustment or a suspension problem?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I to have this problem with mine!:surprised
I have posted about it before and did not get a good explanation except that this is common in the C3's.:rolleyes: I am in the middle of a frame off and when I get the frame where I can measure it with the body off I hope I don't find it bent. If it is ok then I will try to figure out the cause and post it. When I look at the rear half shafts they are not sitting at the same angle. I have installed a fiberglass spring and have adjusted the bolts and this did not help.:huh: Some one suggested to shim the body but I think with the half shafts sitting at different angles the problem is in another place besides the body. If you study how the vette is supported on the suspension it is setting on three points. So if you were to move the right or left side front up or down this would effect the rear of the car. You have to put some thought into this to understand what I am saying. Try holding a measuring tape from the ground up to the rear left fender lip and have someone push down on the right front fender and see how much the measurement changes it will surprise you. This will not be as bad on a car with 4 support points. If the rear differential mount cross member was adjustable at the frame attachment points I believe this uneven stance could be adjusted out and the half shafts would be even also. This is something I have been studying on but just have not gotten to the point where I have tried fixing the problem.:cheers: Mark

·
Registered
118 Posts
Take a look at your number 4 and 8 body mounts. You can easily see these by removing the rear tires. If those are bad, the others could also be flat which could make the body sit higher on one side. I`ve heard the 4 and 8 mounts usually are the first to go so the others could also actually be okay but if your car still have the original body mounts it might be wise to change them. 8 pieces of rubber holding a 1000 pounds (So I`ve heard haven`t weighted mine) piece of plastic and steel for over 30 years plus weather and road salt could and will wear out the mounts.

·
They call me, Hugh Huffner
584 Posts
Definition of Ironic: Having an issue, logging on to the coolest website on the planet....and seeing your issue was posted a couple days ago...nice!

My 80 Vert sags at the right rear, but tires are straight, and so is the frame measurement.

Here is a question.... is it possible to just change 1 or 2 mounts.... instead of all of them? the culprit of mine seems to be the rearmost right side. Changing all of them at once would be an issue for me at the present time.. garage take up by wifes crap. (including 6000 lbs of Packard)

The leaning ass of corvette is beginning to annoy me, lol.

-and for Spiderpat... "IRON MAIDEN!" :partyon:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I looked at it from the rear, the drivers' side rear wheel is waaay off in camber...
What are you seeing? These cars can appear to squat when looking from the rear and the suspension might be fine. It can look like camber is not right when, in fact, it's dead on.

It's also possible the body is a little off center and the right rear tire could appear to be in too far or (more often) out to far when compared to the left side.

... is this an alighment adjustment or a suspension problem?...
Camber is an alignment adjustment set with the strut rod camber bolts. Technically, the struts are part of the rear suspension. Have you checked the condition of your strut rod bushings?

Are you getting excess tire wear in the rear (inside or outside edges wearing away)? Does the rear feel twitchy on curves? Does the rear feel like the tires are scrubbing? Does the rear feel loose? If you don't have any of these symptoms, your rear alignment settings are probably okay.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look at the angle of the rear tire. It's much easier to see in person, but can you see the angle?

here is a view from the rear... the concrete is fairly level, do you see the tilt of the rear?

I looked at the #4 and #8 bodymounts, they both could use replacing, but are in equal state of disrepair. I'm going to have it aligned this weekend. I would not be surprised if bushings are shot.

·
584 Posts
Mine sits leaning toward the right rear!

The good news is if we park them next to each other, we can blame "curvature of the earth" and make everyone think they are losing it. :laughing:

My right rear mount looks like hell, and I think that is my issue. Do you have a wonky door gap at the top near the handle? Mine has almost 1/2" on the right door at the top, but the rest of the gap (and on the other side) is fine.

Worried though, if I can change that mount, and level out the body....I bet I'm going to have a nightmare re-aligning the top, and the boot cover to function correctly.

Very interested in what you find... Mine was aligned and tracks well, tires are set correctly, no busted shock mounts, spring looks good, etc.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All the panel gaps on this car are uniform. I've seen C3s sit to one side or the other, can't figure out why. strange:crazy:

·
584 Posts
The Vert will be going in to be looked at in the next week or so. Right now he has the 81...and its getting a front end & steering rebuild...I am only allowing one vette at a time to be gone.

I'll let you know. My guy is nearly positve its a body mount.

I'm really hoping its just a body mount or two on mine...my wallet has taken a wallop with the 81 of late. My wife may castrate me if I come up with another "I have no choice but to fix this, it's not safe to drive, or driving it this way will damage the car and we didn't pay all this money for a driveway test weight" conversation.

You have a sweet vette by the way!:thumbsup:

I'll post up a couple pics of "Ol topless droopy Butt" later on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts