Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 1 month ago I blew three fuses: 1 that affected the headlights and 1 that powered the taillights and 1 for the turn signals. Changed the fuses and all were working

Last night blew the fuse to my taillights. Changed and it keeps happening again, almost instantly as soon as I pull out the headlight switch. (Backup, turn signal, brake light and hazards work.)

So far I
-changed all rear bulbs as they were pretty worn
-inspected visible wiring to taillights under the rear bumper.

Headlight switch?
Corroded ground?
Possessed?

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
If it only happens with the headlights on, it has to be something in the headlight circuit or the "running light" circuit.

Inspect every inch of wiring for rub throughs and other problems.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
if you keep replacing fuses that keep blowing and you keep sending current to a dead short, you might create fire. you have to be careful about that. the correct way to diagnose this is with a power probe or an intelligent test light that can send power and has a 5a protected circuit and a wiring diagram for your headlight switch. you need to unplug your headlight switch and make sure the plug and its pins aren't melted. then with the power probe you need to send power down each of the headlight switches outputs until you trip the breaker on the power probe and narrow down where your short is coming from. all your dash and instrument lights also run through your headlight switch. hell even your factory radio is wired to your headlight switch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would a loose bulb cause a blown fuse? The white plastic piece in 1 taillight socket had come loose and wouldn't snap back in- therefore the bulb was not getting a tight connection to the metal points.

In the process of gluing the piece back in

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is a connector that fits into a bracket on the lower part of your steering column.By using your tilt wheel it jumps out of the bracket and shorts the circuit.Give that a check...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't see any loose connections.

Fixed the socket, pulled the switch and the lights worked properly.

As soon as I twisted the headlight switch a drop to the left, I heard the fuse pop again and the lights went out.

Do This mean I need a New headlight switch or could it still be something else???

·
Registered
31 Posts
When the connector comes loose from the bracket the small "arm" on the bracket will slide into the first wire position of the connector and short it to ground..This happened on my "82" should be the same.....Good luck....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When the connector comes loose from the bracket the small "arm" on the bracket will slide into the first wire position of the connector and short it to ground..This happened on my "82" should be the same.....Good luck....
Oh you meant the connector under the steering Column (I thought u meant where the headlight switch connects)

Any idea what this connector looks like. Not sure which one it is. Any pics?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Would a loose bulb cause a blown fuse? The white plastic piece in 1 taillight socket had come loose and wouldn't snap back in- therefore the bulb was not getting a tight connection to the metal points.

i think not. a fuse blows from too much current flowing through it not from too little.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

i think not. a fuse blows from too much current flowing through it not from too little.
Correct- wasn't the bulb

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds to me like your headlight switch is bad. Replace it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry for the delay.If I recall it's a long (about 2")skinny connector that I believe connects the whole column to the main harness.I'll try and find some pix.We're separated right now.My car and I that is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Connector

This column is upside down.The connector is on the right hand side of the column as your sitting in the drivers seat..Hope this helps...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

This column is upside down.The connector is on the right hand side of the column as your sitting in the drivers seat..Hope this helps...
Sorry for the delay.If I recall it's a long (about 2")skinny connector that I believe connects the whole column to the main harness.I'll try and find some pix.We're separated right now.My car and I that is.
As of right now I consider you a genius.

Everything on this bracket looked pretty clean and neat but I:
-Fiddled with the wiring on the connector that your suggested, removed from bracket, and opened and the snapped the connector back together... Replaced the fuse and WALLA- I have my tail lights backs.

Funny thing is I think the first time I blew a fuse was the day after I learned about and demonstrated the
Telescopic and tilt wheel.

I will keep you posted to see if the fuse stays strong But as of now- THANKS!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Always happy to pass on a little been there done that info..
Glad it helped..
I know this is a very old post, but I'm experiencing an issue with my tail/parking lights blowing a fuse and can't figure out the cause. I have a '72 with tilt/tele column and want to see if the connector is the issue, but the post isn't showing the photo and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Can anyone help with a photo of the connector that helped solve this problem for this member?

Thanks,
Keith

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,961 Posts
Welcome to DC Keith. Look at post #15 above and you see the description and pic of the connector and location. Note that the connector is on the passenger side right below where the column bolts to the dash support

1 - 20 of 24 Posts