Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i have a 1979 c3 i have been looking to get dual exhaust on it. the more i search the worse it gets. it seems when i put 1979 the prices go up or not available.. but my question is this, I. have looked at so many exhaust systems and to me most from 74 up seem to be the same exhaust by pictures though i know they dont always use the correct photos. my 79 is an automatic has the cross member with both holes for exhaust when i ask the company, they will not fit. but why wouldn't they even if you had to do a bit of modding, The frame are all basically the same in those years. it would be header back.. does anyone know if i could use another year it seems 79s dont have a lot of options for exhaust, any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The frames changed in '80 and did away with the trans cross member that has the exhaust pass through. So your '79 shouldn't have any issue running an earlier exhaust system. I'm not sure if the exhaust manifolds changed any but i really doubt it, a '74 system should bolt up pretty easy.

The dealers may just be covering their tails by saying it won't fit since the 74's dont run catalytic converters.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The frames changed in '80 and did away with the trans cross member that has the exhaust pass through. So your '79 shouldn't have any issue running an earlier exhaust system. I'm not sure if the exhaust manifolds changed any but i really doubt it, a '74 system should bolt up pretty easy.

The dealers may just be covering their tails by saying it won't fit since the 74's dont run catalytic converters.

85 C4ORCE Thank you that settled a lot for me i appreciate your reply thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
85 C4ORCE Thank you that settled a lot for me i appreciate your reply thank you.
No problem, happy to help. I'm not sure where you are located but I have a corvette central magnaflow exhaust kit with hide away mufflers new still in the box if your interested. Its for a '74 big block auto but if your running headers it shouldn't matter anyway

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem, happy to help. I'm not sure where you are located but I have a corvette central magnaflow exhaust kit with hide away mufflers new still in the box if your interested. Its for a '74 big block auto but if your running headers it shouldn't matter anyway

I may be interested i am in NY state what are.you asking for it dont really need mufflers im small block but it would work

·
Registered
38 Posts
I may be interested i am in NY state what are.you asking for it dont really need mufflers im small block but it would work
I'm in South Carolina so it probably wouldn't be worth it with shipping cost to you. If you were in one of the surrounding states I could have delivered it to you or at least met you half way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I just did this on a '78 Corvette, and it's definitely doable. Here's the parts you need to get (for a 2-1/2" system, without mufflers):
Front Pipes - 68-74 Exhaust Pipe - Front Left And Right 327 / 350 Automatic Hi-performance | Corvette Central
Intermediate pipes - 68-74 Exhaust Pipe - 2 1/2" Automatic Intermediate Pipes | Corvette Central

In addition, you definitely need to get this hangar:

All you should have to do is cut those front pipes to fit your headers, and the rest should bolt right up. The systems they sell at Corvette Central are the best fitting ones I've ever bought!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts