Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The question came about the 90 deg and the cone filter. First up, there isn't a lot of options in this department.
I, too, had my filter set up like that until....
.... I learned that drawing hot air into the airstream is unbelievably unproductive, and is performed in a manner where you don't even know something is amiss....until you connect HP Tuners and realize when your IAT's hit around 130 deg.
When that happens your PCM starts pulling timing, seemlessly, in the background, without your permission or asking you if it's OK.
Don't laugh too hard, because on a hot Oklahoma summer day, if you think your underhood air temp won't exceed 130 deg, your sadly mistaken.
Will the engine still run? Sure will. It will still run OK, but you might be pulling an easy 6 to 10 deg or more of timing and do so when you need it most, in the background, whenever those temps exceed the setpoint.
Took me a year of jacking around to figure this one out, and my solution wasn't cheap, as both the radiator, condenser as well as the intercooler radiator had to be shrunk down horizontally. It still isn't perfect, but Im never more than 8 to 10 degrees above ambient now, unless of course I have a smile. If I'm smiling, I'm probably under 14 psi boost...

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I wish I had more of an update. Life's been busy with work mostly, I did buy a new truck though.

I reworked my center console plate for my screen and gauges with a thicker plate since I bought a bandsaw with a bimetallic blade. I finally got around to my speedo/tach cluster and added in the fuel gauge, check engine light along with some blinkers and bright indications. I'm currently reworking some of my prior wiring (you know, while I'm there sort of thing) and wiring in the new engine harness with the factory stuff. Time consuming to keep it clean and professional looking and to do it right without.

Mechanically everything is set in place so once the wiring is done I have a bunch of small odds and ends and it should be ready to fire-up.

new pick-up:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes it will. The picture below shows the opening between the core support and the top of the radiator. I have an L88 hood and the seal on top of the core support doesn't actually seal all the way up to the center part of the hood/scoop area. So I guess the air will travel over it too until I seal off either the box to hood or the radiator support to hood. You can see the scoop is just about on top of the filter too.

I'm not sure what my ecm will do with the maf being so close to the throttle body (doesn't meet the dimensions gm recommends). I guess we shall find out soon enough.
A couple of years ago I did a custom over the rad CAI similar to what your showing on my LS1/T56 swap which was done around 10 years ago. Many said I would have trouble with the short
dimension from filter to MAF - I kept an air straighter in front of the MAF and it runs great IMO. Air intake temps way down compared to 90 deg elbow and cone filter in engine compartment. Great looking job, I really like your center console also - on my list for future mods. Subscribed.

:cheers:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Moving along....won't be long until it gets cranked up. Hopefully next weekend.

I got around to mounting the gas pedal. Offset of this was opposite of the stock pedal and longer. I ended up just cutting out 2 16ga steel plates (the single plate would flex a bit so i doubled it). Used some of the stock pedal mounting holes and added some at the top. This is the last mock up, it'll get painted and go back in. The gas pedal looks like it sits a little further back then the brake but they are even. I guess it's the pic. I also got around to clearancing (dinging) my headers. They just barely touched to bottom of the frame on the passenger side and top of the steering box on the driver side. Plenty of room now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Fired it up today. Fought with a broken off header bolt Friday when i clearancing the headers. It began to get the best of me but I showed it what was up.

On with the show.....its a healthy sounding little cam.

Ryan

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congrats man... Sounds great, I wish my build was at that stage.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Thanks guys. Wish i had the time to build an ls, but man the crate motor route seemed way too easy. I kept feeling like i was forgetting something before i turned the key.

So far no issues with wiring and it seems to act as it should. I'll be getting the driveshaft sent off and shortened soon and some new u joints. Shouldn't be long after that it'll be back on the ground.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
This has also turned into a while I'm there project. So while I'm here and the wheels are off i swapped the brakes over to some wilwood d8-6 on the fronts and d8-4 on the rears along with some wilwood rotors. Like normal with my luck these have turn out to be a pia because the fronts came in silver and the rears were a grey color. After some unhelpful people from summit someone finally dug i to it and found out wilwood updated the color offered and i had new and old versions. Either way they're slightly off in color and I'm tired of dealing with summit and wilwood so it'll work since they're not right next each other. Maybe i assume too much or have too high of expectations but for the money these things cost I figured they'd match.

I also got my pedal bracket painted and back on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Been a while, work's been busy yada yada yada....back to it.- Had the driveshaft shortened and I went ahead and installed some safety loops for peace of mind. They went on pretty easy without too much modification to the new trans. crossmember and the new offset trailing arms I just put in. ​ ​​​​​​ ​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,360 Posts
If you ever loose a u-joint, those safety loops are a godsend especially at 6000 on a 2-3 shift. Ask me how I know:laughing:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
If you ever loose a u-joint, those safety loops are a godsend especially at 6000 on a 2-3 shift. Ask me how I know:laughing:

I've read a few stories about them. I'm sure one of them was yours. U joint failure just cruising or if i ever actually hook up it's worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Finished putting the rear spring back together and installed shiftworks kit forbthe 4l70. I had to notch out the trans pan bracket and removing the old detent was a pia. It wasnt a simple drill spot welds like the sw instructions state but I got it apart finally.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Got it back on the road today. Still a few bugs to work out but glad to take it around the block in over a year. Good start so far to the new year.

Even though the motor has been in there for a while now it's still makes me do a double take since i had the 383 sbc in there for so long.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congrats blueday :thumbsup: Sounds sweet - must be a great feeling.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Blueday, what if the front u-joint gives up? Or the inside joint on the half shaft? Is this kind of standard placement for the loops? I haven't put mine on yet because I couldn't decide on placement. If placed near the center the bracketry gets more complicated as there isn't anything substantial to attach to..
Your thoughts?

81 - 100 of 128 Posts