Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up boys?
it's been a while since i have logged on..
i finished restoring my 80 vette all original right down to the exhaust...
did the interior and paint last winter now should i start screwing around with the engine or leave it all original??
and will i get any more response with new exhaust and headers or keep original??????

Thanks, Coxy ;)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
An easy, inexpensive exhaust mod is to replace the stock catalytic converter with a modern light weight high flow cat-back system! You'll get a major increase in torque, that will have you pressed into your seat back, shave off about 70 lbs in weight, good for around + 25 hp, only $135!

Compliment that with a set of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, virtually no back pressure when you jump on it, but quiet when cruising, with a deep awesome tone that sets off car alarms in a parking garage (I always get compliments about the exhaust note!). Good for another 35 hp increase! I got mine for around $250.

All this while remaining street/smog legal!

Good way to start an exhaust upgrade.

Of course, the next step up would be headers, but I'll let others chime in on that subject, since I'm still running stock manifolds.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A 1980 already has tube headers stock from the factory . I'm not sure what aftermarket would do to help . I installed a cat back system and I could feel the power increase .

·
Registered
552 Posts
If MA will allow longtube hedders and dual cats without requiring it to remain single cat with a Y pipe, that's the way to go.

You're not going to pick up a huge amount of power but it'll sound mean and generally run better. Even by modern GM standards your OE exhaust is undersized.

The advance curve in your distributor is another area to look at. Total advance, curve rate, & vacuum advance can rating. GM did some hokey things for emissions.

Bolt on stuff, hedders, distributor, etc are good for somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 hp on a stock longblock. If you're looking for more like 50 hp, it's time to change the cam. But in order for the cam to work, it needs the bolt-ons like hedder, dist curve, etc.

Good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
An easy, inexpensive exhaust mod is to replace the stock catalytic converter with a modern light weight high flow cat-back system! You'll get a major increase in torque, that will have you pressed into your seat back, shave off about 70 lbs in weight, good for around + 25 hp, only $135!

Compliment that with a set of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, virtually no back pressure when you jump on it, but quiet when cruising, with a deep awesome tone that sets off car alarms in a parking garage (I always get compliments about the exhaust note!). Good for another 35 hp increase! I got mine for around $250.

All this while remaining street/smog legal!

Good way to start ansa exhaust upgrade.

Of course, the next step up would be headers, but I'll let others chime in on that subject, since I'm still running stock manifolds.
+1. I would also think of going for high flow cat. You can gut the catalytic converter as a temporary solution to restore proper exhaust flow. A remarkably simple and effective part of a car's exhaust system, it's designed to scrub exhaust gasses and convert hydrocarbon emissions into safer elements before they enter the atmosphere.

If you really want to get more power then I suggest you look into an actual aftermarket exhaust system, which will provide much more in the way of power gains and legality.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...A 1980 already has tube headers stock from the factory....
Only the 305 California cars. L-48s and L-82s used the old cast iron manifolds.

Coxy: Headers will not help much without dual exhaust.

The 82 cat is good for about 10 hp over the 80-81 design.

My advice is to keep your car stock, cruise, and enjoy it. Unmolested cars get harder to find every day.

:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts