Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys

a quick question to ask if this looks correct I forgot to take pictures of this specifically when I took it apart

I have from top going down
Aluminium plate (nipple up)
Rubber pad
Composite spring
Rubber pad
Aluminium plate (with factory shim material facing down)
spreader plate (dish facing down)

will try to attach pictures

I have used slightly thicker rubber to make my pads than is stock so the square back plates won’t compact and go solid for the bolts to be torqued against so might have to make some new back plates that are a little taller, or I suppose I could remove some of the shims I guess thinking about it?

also, when have the spring mocked up I notice that it will be impossible to get the strut rod cam bolts out without removing the spring now matter what orientation or side the cam bolts are put through from, is this normal?

spring bracket bolt torque? Bit nervous about going into aluminium

finally what’s the best way to bring the spring tips up to meet the trailing arms to install the bolts when you’ve floor perfect

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Gas Auto part Bumper

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Hi Classic1275cc, been awhile! I'm assuming you are referring to the stock composite spring that came with the automatic cars in 1981. I have attached a page from the 81 assembly manual that shows both the steel leaf and composite mounting. Hopefully that will provide some guidance. My 81 has the FE7 suspension and was a factory 4 speed car so I don't have any pics of the OEM composite spring setup. Perhaps others here can provide additional info. Regarding the position of the spring relative to the lower control arm camber adjusting bolts: I can't put my finger on it, but something about the spring position doesn't look quite right. Again, mine was the FE7 and I replaced that setup with a Van Steel composite spring. I attached a photo FWIW. One other thing, I don't know that it's significant, but according to the assembly manual the control rod bolts may be in backwards. That wouldn't have anything to do with the spring interference problem but thought I'd throw it out anyway. Attached another page from the assembly manual that shows the control rod bolts. Lastly, the torque on the spring clamp bolts shows to be 55-75 ft-lbs. Be sure and use some anti-seize compound on the bolts and be sure the bolts are long enough to fully engage the aluminum. Your photos look like your chassis assembly is very clean, maybe post a few more pics?
White Organism Font Parallel Rectangle

Font Parallel Schematic Rectangle Slope

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, as always comprehensive and very helpful, not sure why my year specific manual doesn’t show the composite spring, I have the orange book

as for the cam bolts I looked at a bunch of c3 pictures and it was mix which way round people had them but it looked like the ones that where head towards the front had better visibility of the marks when they where like that, not fun to install while looking after paintwork so don’t think I’ll change them round because of that! I’m sure it will be fine

Didn’t do any more work on the spring tonight but instead I installed the half shafts, here’s a pic

I’m still updating the Instagram page White.stingray

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

1 - 3 of 3 Posts