Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, another question about my vette. It is a 1981 built in 10/80. It has a steel leaf instead of fiberglass. The car is original St Louis car and I doubt it was ever replaced. Could it have been early production before the leafs were ready? I have the shop manual, but in general how do you evaluate sag? I might want to replace (and perhaps to fiberglass leaf?). What are pros and cons for the fiberglass leaf? Thanks.

·
Banned
235 Posts
my 81 has the composite spring, 4 speed cars and the FE7 gymkhana suspension all had steel springs, the only cars with the composite rear spring are auto trans with base suspension cars....
<EDIT> Non appropriate link

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car doesn't appear to have Gymkana (leaf has 9 components) and I have (or can't locate) my build sheet. Its an auto transmission, so I'm confused. Its an early production car, so maybe it still got the leaf?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'll crawl under and look again, but I don't remember a sway bar. I assume its prominently visible? On solid rear axle cars like chevelles, impalas and the like, the sway bar hung underneath the axle and differential. Is it very visible?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The sway bar is not very visible from a casual glance. It attaches directly above the points where the leaf spring attaches and goes up into the nether reaches from there. God bless, Sensei

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I guess I'll crawl under and look again, but I don't remember a sway bar. I assume its prominently visible? On solid rear axle cars like chevelles, impalas and the like, the sway bar hung underneath the axle and differential. Is it very visible?
Danny. Any luck? I am curious to the answer to this. Auto 81 with steel leaf?:WTF

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will check tonite

I didn't see anything, but I'm going to take a pic as I need to work on the parking brake adjustment you gave me. I still think that maybe an early production car from St. Louis (10/1980) didn't get the spring. Maybe it wasn't available yet, you know? As far as I'm concerned for a 26 year old car, I'm probably better off.

By the way, the intake job was great. Just put the distributor shroud on to finish it off. Man is that hard to squeeze in there!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Hi, another question about my vette. It is a 1981 built in 10/80. It has a steel leaf instead of fiberglass. The car is original St Louis car and I doubt it was ever replaced. Could it have been early production before the leafs were ready? I have the shop manual, but in general how do you evaluate sag? I might want to replace (and perhaps to fiberglass leaf?). What are pros and cons for the fiberglass leaf? Thanks.
If you install the VB and P "Grand Touring " suspension, you will have a whole new car. Everyone I know, bar few, that have installed glass springs love em.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
If the rear sway bar is on your car, you will see the mounts on the back of each T-arm. Probably won't have to do much crawling around at all.

:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts