Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 Corvette that is fully optioned out and has the rear pop up hatch glass that the Collectors Edition cars had. I had never heard of this option on the standard coupe. So how many standard vettes had this option? I have the tank sticker if it helps. I hope that I didn't hack up an extremely rare, numbers matching, 37,000 mile car. :thud:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 1982 Corvette that is fully optioned out and has the rear pop up hatch glass that the Collectors Edition cars had. I had never heard of this option on the standard coupe. So how many standard vettes had this option? I have the tank sticker if it helps. I hope that I didn't hack up an extremely rare, numbers matching, 37,000 mile car. :thud:
Have no fear, all the 81's and 82's had the rear opening hatch glass.///

I stand corrected. I thought all the later 'Vettes had the rear hatch. nice feature.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
superpowers you can go the museum site order the original window sticker from your car. i think the cost is 45.00. i would like to know how your car has the pop up glass. what color is your car? post a pic with the glass up

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What you don't believe me. :laughing:

this is the only picture that I have on my work computer. No it was not a collectors edition at one point.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
oh no I believe you, i know at that time they were doing some two toned paint schemes and wondered if the hatch was done in error. I wonder if your vin states a collectors edition. be interested in finding out

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to check my vin again, I think that I checked it back when I got the car a year and a half ago and it didn't have the collectors edition code in it. Do you remember off hand what that code is?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You might want to check to see if your car isn't a CE model that was modified at some point. Another thought is that someone added a hatch glass kit that was available for late C-3 cars. I have a 79 L82 that had a rear hatch glass kit added shortly after delivery of the car. My kit was made by Cars and Concepts of Michigan. My hinges are chrome steel and look much differently than the 82 CE hinges. If your hinges appear as the GM 82 CE hinges, but your car is in fact not a CE model, someone may have purchased the parts and added the feature. There are several ways the hinged rear glass might have become part of your car. It is a nice feature, but I seldom use mine. The sunshade over the rear deck is always in use. My car is regularly used as a bracket racer at a local track and not a trailer queen. Whatever you discover about the hatch glass origin, enjoy the car.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Have no fear, all the 81's and 82's had the rear opening hatch glass.///

I stand corrected. I thought all the later 'Vettes had the rear hatch. nice feature.
Ayuh, my 82 doesn't have it. WIsh it did....

...I have a 79 L82 that had a rear hatch glass kit added shortly after delivery of the car... but I seldom use mine...
How much do you want for it? :laughing:

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you need struts for your back window, I know someone who's going to make some shortly. Just curious? Did you have the tray in the back covering the rear latches? Also if its not opening correctly you probably need to get some new hinges. The factory one stretch.

:cheers:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do need some new struts, how much? I do have the tray. It opens great. I do need the knob for the latch release handle that is behind the drivers seat, mine is missing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I will have to check my vin again, I think that I checked it back when I got the car a year and a half ago and it didn't have the collectors edition code in it. Do you remember off hand what that code is?

Try this info to see if a CE.

VIN Numbers: 1G1AY8786C5100001 through 1G1AY8786C5125408

The 6th Digit is a "0" For the Collectors Edition

:cheers:

·
Registered
584 Posts
if you plan on painting the car i would start goin under the paint to see if it has been painted, if so it may have been hit in the rear and they used the 82 back glass or somthing along the lines, back glass broke....could be anything really

·
Registered
73 Posts
My wife always wanted a C3. She wanted a daily driver, so I bought her an '82 CE specifically for the Fuel Injection (I didn't know any better), the 700R4 and the opening hatch.

I soon learned about the hatch problem and had to design and build new hatch hinges for her car (momma not happy, nobody happy)

You can read a brief history of the hatch KIT that came before the '82 model year and also about the stretching hinge issue and struts here:

http://www.thecubestudio.com/CollectorEditionHatchHingeInstallationInstructions.htm

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for sharing that information about the 82 CE hinges simpson36. The history I have on my 79 has the hinges being developed by Cars and Concepts. They are steel and haven't stretched any and works fine. The #4 frame mounts rusted out and resulted in the glass to seal gap open. I repaired that and re-shimed and the seal is now fine. I believe this kit was pricey back in 79 and the reason not many cars received the mod. Thanks again for sharing the information and making parts available. This is the best photo I have of my hinges.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Red;

Interesting! Yours is the second car I've seen with the chrome hinges . . . or . . your is the only one and I'm seeing it again . . LOL!!

Anyway, I've never seen those hinge covers like you have there. I only have first hand experience with the Collector Edition hatches from GM and they are all the same and the hinges are all the same. The stretching hinge problem had been around for many years and I found on the CE registry forum that several people had tried to make replacement hinges, but no-one ever actually did.

I'm an engineer with many years experience making prorotypes of all kinds and doing fault analysis, so it was no biggie for me to design a new hinge. I never intended to produce them and I still dont. I made a limited number . . all by hand . . for some CE owners.

The GM hinges are hideous sand castings and the info I have been able to dig up says that's what the aftermarket kits had and GM bought the whole thing to install on CE's in the last year of C3 production.

I would love to know more about your steel hinges and Cars and Concepts. Your hinges do appear to have a slightly different shape than the stock GM hinge. You say they are steel and I assume you know that because they are heavy, or magnetic?

Really it is a shame that so many CE's got the hinge mounts and latches mangled in vain attempts to get the hatch working.

·
Registered
79 Posts
simpson36, you have me feeling kinda foolish, I have been assuming my hinges were steel because of the smooth and chrome finish. They must just have been polished before chroming because they are not magnetic, I just checked. I have a couple old Corvette Fever magazines dated 1979 where Cars & Concepts ran a full page ad on the back cover. I have not seen another Corvette on any of the sites I visit with a rear hatch kit similar to mine. You might have seen another picture that I had posted. The PO of my car told me a story about how Cars & Concepts developed their kit with GM engineers as a prototype for the 82 CE model. C&C was based in MI. My car was originally from MI and trailered down to FL. The windshield still has two old MI Corvette club decals that put the car in that area. I'd be glad to provide you with any info I can.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts