Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks for sharing that information about the 82 CE hinges simpson36. The history I have on my 79 has the hinges being developed by Cars and Concepts. They are steel and haven't stretched any and works fine. The #4 frame mounts rusted out and resulted in the glass to seal gap open. I repaired that and re-shimed and the seal is now fine. I believe this kit was pricey back in 79 and the reason not many cars received the mod. Thanks again for sharing the information and making parts available. This is the best photo I have of my hinges.
[/IMG]

Red,

Please tell me more about your weatherstripping problem. I'm having one currently. Where was yours located, and please tell me more about the repair process.

I see that Steve chimed in. I assume he talked with you about the struts he makes. Great Guy!:thumbsup:

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Red,

Please tell me more about your weatherstripping problem. I'm having one currently. Where was yours located, and please tell me more about the repair process.

I see that Steve chimed in. I assume he talked with you about the strutshe makes. Great Guy!:thumbsup:

Man mine leaks like a sieve. When ever I wash it I put towels inside to catch the water. O well what ya gunna do, fix it ya right :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Red,

I see that Steve chimed in. I assume he talked with you about the struts he makes. Great Guy!:thumbsup:

My glass/weatherseal leak was the result of rust around my #4 body mounts behind the rear wheels. The rubber seal around the body mount bolt held water and caused rust on the frame bracket. The hole in the frame bracket became so large the body was no longer supported and alowed it to sag. This opened a gap between the glass and rubber seal. I repaired it myself by making a plate to weld on top of the bracket and re-shim, so the seal gap was closed. During this project most body mounts were replaced and the frame was cleaned and painted with POR15. O-yeah...I also painted the underside of the body while I was at it. If your #4 mounts are rusted through like mine were, it really isn't all that hard to do. If you need to do it, I can share with you my experience. I am sure I can dig up some detailed photos. This is one of the finished product.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
73 Posts
The hatch glass moves back because of the gas spring (strut) pressure and also the force of accelleration. The original hinges are simply not strong enough to handle that stress and they 'spring' open. Eventually, that 'creep' will have the glass off the weatherstrip at the top edge . . result . bad leak.

It easy enough to check your status in that process. The origninal dimension from the glass bolt to the hinge pivot is 3". Take off the interior panel and measure your hinge. Typically they have stretched to between 3-1/4" and 3-1/2".

As seen here: http://www.thecubestudio.com/pictures/HingeTraceProfile01Web.jpg

At around 3-1/2", you run out of adjustement and the glass is permanently jammed unless you start elongating slots and grinding off the latch pins. I've seen some pretty brutal stuff done to CEs.

A real quick check is to just observe the distance between the rear edge of the glass and the weatherstrip. Typicall there is almost no weatherstrip showing because the glass has creeped back. There should be about 1/4" or more of rubber showing.

The solution is this: http://www.thecubestudio.com/pictures/HingeCompareWeb.jpg

Reproduction rubber is now available here:

http://www.corvette-rubber.com/6882windshield-hatch.shtml

Instructions on how to adjust and seal the glass are here:

http://www.thecubestudio.com/CollectorEditionHatchHingeInstallationInstructions.htm

Red,

I have to admit that I'm not surprised yor hinges are not steel. I can tell you that steel casting is not an easy endeavor and it's rough enough making the hinges from billet aluminum as I did. Making them from steel would be a lot more difficult.

My guess is that your hinges have not stretched because of the crome plating. The additional strength is coming from the copper/nickel/chrome 'shell'.

Any chance of you scanning that Cars & Concepts ad and e-mailing it to me?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any chance of you scanning that Cars & Concepts ad and e-mailing it to me?
Yes, I can scan the C&C ad to you, but I do not have a scanner. I'm a low tech kinda guy just trying to keep up. PM me your email address and I will go to my local UPS store and have them send you a scanned copy. The ad does not show a close up of the hinges, only a two tone painted car with the glass in the open position. Thanks for sharing all the info you have on the hatch glass on late C-3 cars.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I know it will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

But Ralph Eckler did a write up in Vette magazine many years ago
on how to fix the water leak problem with those hatch glasses on the C3.
(It was in a Q&A section that featured him)

I remember the article but not the details in the article.

I'd look for it but stupid me gave all my old Vette Mags to a nephew several
years ago........:bang :bang

·
Registered
5 Posts
Red;

Interesting! Yours is the second car I've seen with the chrome hinges . . . or . . your is the only one and I'm seeing it again . . LOL!!

Anyway, I've never seen those hinge covers like you have there. I only have first hand experience with the Collector Edition hatches from GM and they are all the same and the hinges are all the same. The stretching hinge problem had been around for many years and I found on the CE registry forum that several people had tried to make replacement hinges, but no-one ever actually did.

I'm an engineer with many years experience making prorotypes of all kinds and doing fault analysis, so it was no biggie for me to design a new hinge. I never intended to produce them and I still dont. I made a limited number . . all by hand . . for some CE owners.

The GM hinges are hideous sand castings and the info I have been able to dig up says that's what the aftermarket kits had and GM bought the whole thing to install on CE's in the last year of C3 production.

I would love to know more about your steel hinges and Cars and Concepts. Your hinges do appear to have a slightly different shape than the stock GM hinge. You say they are steel and I assume you know that because they are heavy, or magnetic?

Really it is a shame that so many CE's got the hinge mounts and latches mangled in vain attempts to get the hatch working.
Looks like Cars and Concepts may have licensed the patent. Here is a patent...same or similar...

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4566728.html

Cars and Concepts is still around.

http://www.carsandconceptsonline.com/

·
Registered
79 Posts
The magazine ad I have says patent pending, so one would have to assume they had it granted. It is interesting to see they have relocated to MN from MI. Do you think they have any old C-3 hatch kits collecting dust in storage somewhere?

·
Registered
108 Posts
excellent resource, thanks. . . .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
The magazine ad I have says patent pending, so one would have to assume they had it granted. It is interesting to see they have relocated to MN from MI. Do you think they have any old C-3 hatch kits collecting dust in storage somewhere?
It would be likely that whatever rights and or patents were issued, pending, or even contemplated would have been part of the purchase when GM bought the hatch setup.

GM has an authorized restoration parts program, but that only applies to exact replicas of original parts endorsed and authorized by GM.

The problem with making new hatch 'kits' that the glass is not available. I could make eveything else including the latches.

In fact, one fellow who had bought a kit years ago and lost the latches in a move (active military), asked me about making them, but making one set of latches (particularly since they are left and right handed, like the hinges) would just be too expensive. As an interesting alternative, I suggested we might steal the power center latch from a third gen Camaro and adapt that to the Vette C3 hatch. That guy eventually found his lost latches in a box in his garage, so we did not persue the remote center latch idea.

Corvette Rubber is making new weatherstips, and I'm told that it's a nice piece, so that part of the puzzle is in place. But obviously I can't make the glass. If you can find an original hatch glass, it is usually over $2,000.

I wonder how different the stock glass is really. It would be cool if all that was needed was to drill 4 holes and finish the edge of a stock glass. Any glass shop could do that.

If somebody can take exact measurements of a stock rear glass, I can determine if it can be used.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I wonder how different the stock glass is really. It would be cool if all that was needed was to drill 4 holes and finish the edge of a stock glass. Any glass shop could do that.
The rear glass is "Tempered" which is a heat process the glass goes through.
This makes it stronger....but also makes it explode into a million pieces when it
breaks. This process once preformed makes it impossible to alter the glass...
by drilling holes, etc.

A windshield now .... is laminated glass and can be cut or drilled. This is also
why they will crack and not exploded into the million little pieces.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
May have been repainted.:crazy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't think so. But i know who the owner was, and this car was not converted to the pop up hatch. I wonder if the Corvette museum would have any info on this?
did u ever find out? my 78 used to be my grandfathers and he says he got it with a hatch rear glass from the dealer.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts