Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am out here in CA normaly it not very cold out here.

But after the New rebuild I have notice that it run cold.

The outside temps are around 27 in the mornings and 50 in the afternoons.

My water temps are 160 to 170 the oil temp read LOW or 160 or so. at stop lights the oil temps will read low.

Before the rebuild it ran 190 ish range the fans would kick on at 230.

After the rebuild and running the motor in the garage the fans woud kick on around 230 also the water temps were normal the oil temps were lowwer due to the new engine oil cooler that I installed during the rebuild.

Anyone out there know what would cause this.

I also have notice the car starts to miss at a stop light when the oil temps starts reading low temp good oil pressure still around 20 Psi after the car get up to running temps 40 to 50 when cold.

I checked the fans they are NOT always running.

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
one of the first things I noticed when I installed a 8 quart baffled oil pan (further modified with extended sump) and a transmission and oil cooler on my car was the very noticeable drop in engine temps, in fact the engine had a hard time getting the oil temps up to 215F which is required to burn off moisture in the oil that gets into the engine if it sits for days in Florida, the cure was installing a 190f t-stat and a bye-pass/return on the oil cooler, that bye-passed the cooler with about 90% of the oil flow routed to the cooler until the oil got hot.

there are 190F t-stats
http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-thermostat-195-1984-1991.html

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-low-temperature-cooling-fan-kit-195-gmp-1984-1995.html

and optional sensors you can use to turn on the fans at lower temps like 200f

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=176

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a aftermarket oil cooler is there a temp shut off valve of some type I can put inline for oil cooler.

Or should I just remove the aftermarket oil cooler all together.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
are your temp readings from the guage reading or the sensor reading for the computer.

Can you verify with a temp gun?

I went through 4 temp senders in the heads until I got one that read within 10 degrees of what the engine sensor read. make sure you got the one that is for the aluminum heads.

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
I have a aftermarket oil cooler is there a temp shut off valve of some type I can put inline for oil cooler.

Or should I just remove the aftermarket oil cooler all together.

you need to read thru links I post,

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=176

theres info on how to install an oil flow t-stat!
below 180f the t-stat loops 80% or more of the oil back to the engines without passing it thru the oil cooler, as temps rise above 180f more and more oil is directed thru the oil cooler

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I going to do the simple thing first swap out the thermostat with a new 195 one and see if the one I have now is stuck open.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Change out the intake manifold gaskets do to the oil leak cahn ge out the Therostat out for the running cold Issues.

I have not driven the car yet I just waiting for the ground to dry out some before I take for a drive.

The road leading up to our garage is a dirt road it mudddy now.

Bt Idleing in the garage the water temp got up to 195 to 200 so thats better.

The good new is when I took the distrbitor cap I found out my NEW rotor was comming apart good find if did come apart driving it that could been a bad thing.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far it good I took the car for a short drive today the Water temp came to 205.

The oil temp was comming up to normal before I parked it.

And NO more oil leaks

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL
Just my luck BAD.
The New water pump thatt has 500 Miles on it went bad Figuers it leaking out of the weep hole.

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
thats why you can,t assume just because a components new or recently installed that its functioning exactly as its designed, you might be amazed at how ofter a logical step -bye-step check list approach, to problem location,isolation and solving the problem, with a shop manual and a few test tools is frequently how problems you assume can,t be the cause are located.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts