Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vette has 175K miles on it. I have been using synthetic oil with every oil change. My mechanic says it is okay to use the synthetic blend since my car has such high mileage. What do you think? The real stuff or the blend? :huh:

·
Registered
914 Posts
I use the real stuff.........................There is no substitute!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Yep. I'm not sure about the '86 but my '92 doesn't use an external oil cooler. Because of this synthetic oil is recommended and that's what I use.

Besides, isn't the cost of the blend about the same as straight synthetic?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Never used synthetic oils in my '86.

Of course, I've only owned it long enough to do one oil change! :laughing:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I was thinking along the same lines, but went with my mechanic's suggestion. Next oil change, I will go with the real, good, more expensive oil. :laughing:
Thanks for replying

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. I'm not sure about the '86 but my '92 doesn't use an external oil cooler. Because of this synthetic oil is recommended and that's what I use.

Besides, isn't the cost of the blend about the same as straight synthetic?
I agree, next oil change, back to the real stuff....My mechanic thinks I will spend too much in repairs. Hey, it's only money and I love my car!!! So far, no repairs in six months!! That is becuase I spent about $3K in repairs last year, some necessary, some maintenance. My car runs great...and looks darn good. ;)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Next oil change, I will go with the real, good, more expensive oil. :laughing:
Thanks for replying
Can never go wrong with this. Much cheaper than an engine job.

BTW, if I was driving an old Taurus (cough choke) or something... Then I'd put any old thing in there..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can never go wrong with this. Much cheaper than an engine job.

BTW, if I was driving an old Taurus (cough choke) or something... Then I'd put any old thing in there..:thumbsup:
Taurus? What's a Taurus? Sounds prehistoric..... I hope I will always drive a vette.......;) ;)

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I went to Wal-mart last nite and bought a 5 QT. bottle of mobil 1 full synthetic for $19.94.I couldn't believe they dropped the price $10 from 2 months ago.For that price I would keep using synthetic

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to Wal-mart last nite and bought a 5 QT. bottle of mobil 1 full synthetic for $19.94.I couldn't believe they dropped the price $10 from 2 months ago.For that price I would keep using synthetic
Wow, good old Wally World......I hate shopping there, but guess it will be worth the torture to nab a few qts :rolleyes: of the good stuff...

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Taurus? What's a Taurus? Sounds prehistoric..... I hope I will always drive a vette.......;) ;)
Sorry, I shouldn't have brought up anything to do with that four letter "F" word on a Vette forum. I'll try to keep my cuss words down from now on..:devil:

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
726 Posts
I have built 3,,, 485-fwhp, 406 engines in the past 4 years, using good old 10w30 and the syn/blend works fine,,, for an engine with that many miles, I would use a high mileage motor oil

·
Registered
1987 Z51 Coupe and 2015 Z06/Z07 Coupe
746 Posts
The only risk you take is the synthetic oil molecles are smaller than the carbon based oil. These molecules can find and fit through small holes in your seals the carbon oil cannot. Keep an eye on your oil level and you'll be good for years to come!

·
Registered
914 Posts
My 1988 vette leaks a little at the rear main. So does the 468 big block in my camaro. I use Mobil one in the vette but not in the camaro. Reason being the camaro never runs at the high temperatures like the corvette. We have all seen the commercials showing oil breaking down with heat. When I bought the vette last September it had regular oil in the engine and it leaked a little then but it doesn't leak any more with Mobil one, I plan on rebuilding the engine myself this winter and fixing all the leaks. But I will still use Mobil one in it after the rings are seated on the fresh engine because it will still run as hot or hotter thanks to the wizards at GM:devil:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use Redline 5w30 in my LT1 and have been since 112,xxx. I change it every 15,000 miles. At 7500, I will change the oil filter and add a Qt. I use K&N oil filter. Car has 203,xxx and no problems. Since I do sell Redline at my shop, I do get a slight price break, but it sure is easy and cost effective to run that brand. The 9hp gain on the dyno was a plus also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only risk you take is the synthetic oil molecles are smaller than the carbon based oil. These molecules can find and fit through small holes in your seals the carbon oil cannot. Keep an eye on your oil level and you'll be good for years to come!
Thanks for the info......oil level light is slowly fading,unfortunately. I just check it ever so often...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I use Redline 5w30 in my LT1 and have been since 112,xxx. I change it every 15,000 miles. At 7500, I will change the oil filter and add a Qt. I use K&N oil filter. Car has 203,xxx and no problems. Since I do sell Redline at my shop, I do get a slight price break, but it sure is easy and cost effective to run that brand. The 9hp gain on the dyno was a plus also.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My 1988 vette leaks a little at the rear main. So does the 468 big block in my camaro. I use Mobil one in the vette but not in the camaro. Reason being the camaro never runs at the high temperatures like the corvette. We have all seen the commercials showing oil breaking down with heat. When I bought the vette last September it had regular oil in the engine and it leaked a little then but it doesn't leak any more with Mobil one, I plan on rebuilding the engine myself this winter and fixing all the leaks. But I will still use Mobil one in it after the rings are seated on the fresh engine because it will still run as hot or hotter thanks to the wizards at GM:devil:

Yes, mine has a leak that I have not yet fixed. I do keep a close watch on the oil level since the digital display is slowly dying....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts