Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a long time follower, and 2nd time poster. I've had a long time obsession with vettes that started when I was a kid. I always loved the 80's C4 especially the 88 35th Anniversary Edition. After looking at a bunch of C4's that were for sale, I picked up an 88 35th Anniv. edition in mint condition with 48K miles. The previous owners were the third owners to own the car and in their 19 years of owning it, it was always garaged kept and they only put 15K miles on it. The car is mostly original with the exception of the radio (they gave me the original) and the exhaust system. The car is numered 1224 out of 2050. I paid $9,600 for it. Do you guys think this car will go up in value? Is the car a collector car? In this economy, do you think I overpaid? Pictures coming soon.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
If you're happy with the car, that's what matters.

Mint condition, low mile cars always hold their value and with a flooded market right now, there's no exact price for any particular car especially a special edition C4. Your price may have been on the high end of the value range but sounds like its condition is on the high end too.

:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
The 35th anniversary cars have not done well in the market thus far, but C4s are at the bottom of their slump IMO. If it's a nice piece, it can only appreciate from here.

Congratulations on your purchase. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
It's worth it IMO if the car is in excellent shape.;) I'm guessing at this point that it will only go up in value, may take awhile though.:thumbsup: Just enjoy it, most importantly. :cheers:

Oh and pictures please!:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everybody, thanks for the input. I love this car. The way bikers feel about riding is how I feel when I'm driving this car. At 22 years old, my Vette gets attention at car shows which is pretty cool. With fall and winter around the corner, the Vette has a spot in my garage, now I'm wondering if I should tweak it a little or just keep it as is. If I do decide to put some work in it, I was thinking headers, high cats, MSD 6AL box, coil, plugs, wires, K & N filter, to keep me a litle busy this winter. It already has an exhaust system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congratulations.

Your car looks great. I have an 88 35th with 247 miles.
I think the 35th is the forgotten C4. I believe it is one of the most beautiful vettes, but doesn't seem to be remembered like others.

From what I see in your pictures, it is in great condition. I think you did just fine with the price. I took mine to Bloomington this year and received Gold, Survivor and Benchmark.

There was one there that was sold at the Mecum auction and I believe it went for $18,000 and had maybe 5-8000 miles on it. I know the auction airs sometime in Sept. The details may be on their site.

I also read in one of the magazines not so long ago that last year one went for $37,000 in an auction somewhere and I think it had about 2000 miles on it. I can't remember all the details exact, but there are 2 examples for you.

If you ever put the stock radio back in and have problems with it or any part of the system, I know the best place to have Corvette Bose systems fixed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Spoiler, thanks for the reply. Yeah, the 35th anniv Vette that fetched $37,000 at an auction about a year ago was a 4+3 manual one with I think, 2k miles. The seller stated he kept the car in a climate controlled garage for the life of the car. And I thought I was obsessed with my Vette LOL!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess I'm one of the obsessed too. Mine are all in climate control also.

Mine has an automatic, but I do have it beat on miles. Until I went to Bloomington I only had 67 miles. I do think I am going to start driving it more.

They are really cool cars, but the white interior is hard to deal with if you drive them alot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoiler, I hear you. What really kills me is the white steering wheel. I wash my hands before I drive.

I was thinking of picking up a set of replica '96 Grand Sport rims, because the white mags are original and would be a nightmare to place. I'm also going to have the windows tinted this week, 15% light transmittance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have seen the grand sport wheels on a 35th and they were painted white to match and they looked amazing on the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My first vette was almost a 35 anniversary-bought a red 88 convertible instead. I've always thought the all white was cool-congrats.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Nice ride Chuck. You have to decide, keep it stock and maybe it will appreciate, or mod it and hope to get what you have in it out of it when the time comes. On that car, I would keep it stock, it looks awesome just like it sits.

:partyon:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
My thoughts, a car is not an investment. Even if it goes up in value, it will be minimal. I would put some nice 19 inch deep dish wheels on it,low profile tires. I put some 19s on mine, then dropped the car 2 1/2 inches, they fit the c4 wheel wells arches perfectly, then modify it with a supercharger ( installed one on my friends 87), and enjoy the car. Take good care of it of coarse. Just what i would do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I did a lot of thinking and I can't leave it original. I don't see myself selling the car, and I like what one of the posters said about the car not being an investment. I can see myself getting another Vette later on down the road, but hey, whats better than having a Vette? Having two Vettes! I took the car to it's last car show for the season and now it's sitting in the garage. I'm going to start cleaning the motor compartment up and then start doing some mild mods. Windows will be tinted to 15% this weekend, and during the winter I'll add an MSD 6AL box, coil, plugs, wires, and K&N air filter. My lid to the airbox is already open. I think in the spring, I'll add '96 Grand Sport Replica rims 17x9.5 in the front and 17x11 in the rear. With the rear wheels being 1.5 inches wider, I'll have to add the Crand Sport rear fender flares. This is all I can do now without the wife flipping out. Then next year, may headers, a Procharger and etc will be in order.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts