Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BARRETT-JACKSON SCOTTSDALE 2004

LOT #685 - NO RESERVE

The SledgeHammer Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette was the first automobile to demonstrate that top speed and full road car function are not mutually exclusive quanities. Fully equipped with leather interior, multi-speaker stereo and working air conditioning, it was clocked at 254.76 mph at Ohio's Transportation Reasearch Center on October 26, 1988, then driven back to Callaway's Old Lyme, Connecticut shops on state highways. The 350cid V8 makes 880 brake horsepower at 6,250 rpm and 772 lb-ft torque at 5,250 rpm yet is tractable, smooth and quiet. Featured in virtually every major enthusiast magazine worldwide, SledgeHammer is a unique engineering and packaging accomplishment, beautifully built by the dedicated engineers and craftsmen at Callaway, breathtakingly fast and sumptuously luxurious. Valued at over $250,000.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=175970

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
What i wouldnt give for this car. I have never really felt much for the C4 but the sledghammer is one of my favorite corvettes ever.

·
Registered
965 Posts
very sweet very fast but it doesnt look like 225,000 dollers good IMHO

·
Registered
965 Posts
what kind of engine is in this thing why is it so fast ??

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KingJoeJoe said:
what kind of engine is in this thing why is it so fast ??
Twin Turbo V8....its the worlds fastest street legal car :) that is why its going to command a high price...John Linginfelter drove the car back in the late 80's to its 254 MPH topspeed...

·
Registered
965 Posts
thats is FAST !

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
decka said:
I like it, but don't really care for the mirrors
aerodynamics...every little bit helps at 254 MPH

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I remember reading the R&T and Motortrend articles about this car over & over again....along with the King of the Hill. The Sledgehammer, still impressive to this day!:smokin:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Looks like they have been playing with the suspension.The pictures i have of that car,it's totally "slammed",body kit is almost dragging on the ground while it's parked,just the way i like it.Can't believe they gave up on the vettes in 95.The G.S and C5 would make killer platforms for some major horsepower cars.
Maybe Lingenfelter took the market(R.I.P)

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Punk Boy said:
Twin Turbo V8....its the worlds fastest street legal car :) that is why its going to command a high price...John Linginfelter drove the car back in the late 80's to its 254 MPH topspeed...
...and then drove it home (comfortably).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a framed poster of that car in my livingroom, lol. I never knew what the "sledgehammer" was until i was playing an old vette racing game and you could drive the sledgehammer, wow that car was fast on the game. I had to go look up what it really was. What I found: It is BADDDDDD!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If only I had the money...... Or even a ticket to the auction to see it go. Oh well, I always can watch it on TV. 254mph. Nice Sunday driver.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts