Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I need help! I have had my Vette for four years now and it has run great ever since buying it (113,000 miles). I was preparing for a a car show in Wildwood New Jersey which is 3 hours from home, I never drove my car this far so I figured I would have a complete 'Tune Up' done just prior to leaving. I had it tuned up and on my way home from the garage I noticed it running a bit rough and the volt gauge really fluttering, I called the garage and he told me that it should go away!!?? We left for Wildwood and two hours into the ride the car started to feel wierd @ around 2000 RPM and when I came to a light it felt like it was going to stall and the volt gauge started acting up again. The third light my RPM dropped and the volts fluttered and it stalled. I could not restart, luckily I was right near a garage and a passerby assisted with a push into the lot. The garage was great and attempted to get me on my way, they replaced a module on the distributor and it still did not start. Needless to say I had to have it towed over 100 miles home and I missed the show afterall. My car had to sit in the garage in NJ over the weekend until they were able to get it home so I went on to Wildwood with the family. The next day the garage called and said it started first turn and everytime after but they would not suggest me coming for it since when it got heated up it died. Monday it was towed to my local garage and they assessed the damages telling me they needed to replace the Distributor and Coil, after doing so they let it sit in the sun all day with the hood opened and when they went to start it after it starting all day it was dead AGAIN! They called me and told me the news and they sounded lost, they contacted another garage who told them to check the 'injectors' they found that one 'injector' was bad which took out part of the 'computer', they replaced the computer and the injector and now it starts. I went and picked it up, it ran horrible on the way home, then gradually started to get better but not near as good as prior to the TUNE UP! The Volt meter is still fluttering and it seems like it is going to stall again. I am afraid to drive it!! Please help, this car drove to smooth and fantastic prior to the tune up, what could it be??? Thanks Mario

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Hi, Mario -

Welcome to DC!

Let's start with the basics ...

If your car was running OK when it went into the tune up, then it stands to reason that something they did contributed to the poor running conditions you're describing now.

Of course, it could be purely coincidental, but let's rule out all the obvious things first.

First, and most important, question is: what exactly did the first shop replace when they did your tune up?

Second, when the car was cold (and running good), and after the tune up, was your voltmeter steady (it sounds like the poor running occurs at the same time that your voltmeter reading goes nuts)?

Third, what did the shop mean when they said that an injector was "bad"? Did they mean that its resistance was significantly different than the other seven, or did they mean that the injector was mechanically defective?

Fourth, did your original shop perform a compression test during the course of the tune up?

Let me know!

Steven

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vette 90 Reply

Thank you for the quick reply.

They replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter. They told me the injector grounded out? Which messed up the computer?? Yes, when the volt gauge goes crazy the car seems to want to stall. I drove it today for a few hours and it did not stall but almost and the gauge was acting up. It seems as though the idle is off but what does that have to do with the volts? Would the alternator have anything to do with this?

Thanks. Mario

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
A loose wire on the alternator (or a failing alternator) in connection with a weak battery could cause this. Take the alt to autozone or somewhere to get it checked and check to ensure all of the connections are tight (alt and battery).

·
Registered
111 Posts
You could have some wires shorting out somewhere in the bank of wires running to the injectors.
This is a strange problem!
Keep us posted on your progress!
Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
90 idle and volt issues

After getting the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter changed my 90 began to run horrible. The idle is high when I first start her which was never the case in the past. And she seems as though she is going to stall. The volts gauge is fluttery which was also never the case prior to the tune. Coincidence or not??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts