Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Looks like the heater core in my '90 is starting to go out. The windows are fogging up and it smells like coolant inside the car.

Has anyone on here replaced one in a '90? Any tips? I've never taken the dash apart on this car and it doesn't look fun... :thud:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've had experience with the exact problem, as well as a few fellow local c4 owners. A few of them said that if you hook a garden hose up to them in reverse flow it will clean out the dab-re, I simply bypassed mine for the time being. I will try doing this flush trick in the future. Give it a shot see how it does and let me know.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Two Agents with the same problem :laughing:

Judging from the pictures, it doesn't look too hard! Just grab a pillow, lay back, and take your time.:cheers:

·
Registered
597 Posts
the link that ssgoku8 posted is for a 86, so it is prolly quite a bit different. but its still buried in the passanger side. so take the seat out and find yourself a comfy spot. then just start taking everything apart til you get to it. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I took mine out through the top. Removing seat, kick panel, dash, vents, glove box etc. is easy from there you will need to loosen/remove the duct and I loosened the channel that holds the main wiring harness, electronics below the fuse box....core will still not be visible. The cover for the core requires some maneuvering to remove as well as the core itself. There will be some difficult angles to remove core screws (7MM) and getting it out....but it can be done.
here's a couple shots.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
go buy 4 acorn nuts for the tops of your seat mount bolts along with some dense foam from any fabric store or throw a beach towel over the bolts.

And wear some safety gogles.. You can plan on droping a screw in your face or a myrad of other crap that collects under there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've had experience with the exact problem, as well as a few fellow local c4 owners. A few of them said that if you hook a garden hose up to them in reverse flow it will clean out the dab-re, I simply bypassed mine for the time being. I will try doing this flush trick in the future. Give it a shot see how it does and let me know.
Backflushing the heater core isnt going to fix a leaky heater core. That is why his windows are fogging up, because the heater core is leaking into the car. Its got a pinhole or crack in it. Only fix for that is to replace it....and it aint gonna be fun!

Im gonna replace mine in my 85 this year while i have the seats and carpet already out. (im restoring car). with the dash removed it will make it a little easier anyway while i am running power wires feeding my LS1 wiring harness and new stereo setup! :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Assembly procedure for a C4:

1. Send heater core down assembly line
2. Build rest of the car around heater core.

to replace heater core reverse step 2.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
on a later model C4 can you not split the air box on the firewall for access? seems alot easier..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Man, that looks like a pain in the ass. I hate that I have to do this soon. Glad spring is almost here.

Those pics that Mick posted make it seem almost impossible to get to.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It only took me about 10-15 minutes to change the heater core. It took me about 3-4 hours to get to it:crazy:
:laughing:

Thank you for the tips and pictures everyone. I have purchased a heater core and will have a go at installing it next weekend. I'm not looking forward to it.......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed the new heater core today... Wasn't as difficult as I was expecting but it was tedious. The old one was barely leaking and I'm glad I got to it before it completely let go. Thanks again for the pictures and tips!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts