Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my 90 L98 LCD speedometer is crapping out. When I start the car the speedo/odometer display sometimes, shows metric then English...then a little of both. Some of the LCD digits are partially missing. Funny thing is when I put it in gear it seems OK. I spoke to my Chevy service mgr. He "thinks" the board is going, or lose wire. Says the board is very thin and may be cracked from age. The car has 28,300 original miles. He says no more than 2 hours to diagnose @ $60.00. (probably 1 hour) I'm OK with that. If it's the board, that's another story....he thinks a rebuilt one MAY be available...no idea on price, or send mine out to be rebuilt...not sure if that is possible based on age. Forget new. He's always been very fair with me in the past. He'll give me a price before anything is done, giving me a opportunity to get the part(s) myself....and he'll install em. I've known him for years...he's installed my parts before and been very fair...laborwise. Just wondering if anyone knows of a source for this display, just in case. I'm going to let the dealer fix it, because I'm not a mechanic, and he'll stand behind the work. But I want to be prepared in case he can't get the parts or maybe I can get a better price. He did mention if they determine it's the display, and they install a replacement which does not correct the problem....no charge for the parts/labor.

Thanks

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
There are rebuilt ones on Ebay for $89 per section. There are 3 sections the speedo the tach and the middle part with the oil temp and such. I would look to bad grounds first if it works fine most of the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Raid

I found a site that sells each part separately, the whole dash cluster, or will rebuild mine. I made a mistake earlier....the dealer said probably the board, but could be wire, or ground. Now at least when he figures out what it is, I know the parts are available and can compare prices. As a side note when he installs his parts, he reduces the labor rate, cus he makes $ on the parts....my parts.....60/hr.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts